Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Coming Unglued

Just got back from WV, PA and northern VA. Was walking around coach when i noticed the lower tail fiberglass wrap around sort of just hanging there. Dug a little deeper and found that the glue that holds the fiberglass to the metal attachment bracket had let go. Bracket still screwed to frame of home.

Any dea as to how to reattach the side rear panel to the bracket without taking to Winny service. (@ $100.00/hr whew!). 07 Journey 36 G w/ 49000 mi so out of warrenty.

thanks
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Other things coming unglued

Oh..forgot to tell you. The other things that came ungluded or fell aprt this trip.
1. Dome light over electrical control area appears to have been overheating over past couple of whatevers and melted the holder attaching to cieling. It fell out. (Halogen bulb at 6 W melted the plastic)
2. Trim cover on overhead inside of bedroom door hit the deck. (reattached with panelling nails)
3. Front trim over bath room door hit the deck. (Reattached with panneling nails).

Always something isn't it....just part of the experience.

thanks
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are a few products that might work..

One fairly good adheasive that seems to stick to most stuff well is called GOOP, comes in several flavors.. I do not know if it would be good for this job.. I know I"m not always happy with it long term but i use a lot of it.

That, and a clamp and a folded paper towel or rag to place under the clamp on the shiny side of things.. Clamp for like 12 hours.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I feel you pain JK.... my 07 Ellipse is having the same stuff happening. I'm in their neighborhood for a while so am about to set up an appt in Forest City to have them fix a list of things and one will be the fiberglass panel just aft of the left front wheel which has had the glue let loose on. I've just gotten used to fixing the interior trim pieces regularly with nails, tacks and glue.

Wish it weren't this way but it is.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Guess it boils down to the fastest easiest quickest way to get two pieces of something fastened together. I've had to re-glue the rear engine access door to the hinges (understand from prior posts that the front generator access door will be needing a re-glue job in the future), re-attach the vertical wooden door trim on the bath/bedroom door, and now I have two floor tiles that have shifted far enough to buckle the adjoining tiles.
My mechanic Dad used to tell me the factories would say they put all the parts there, it was up to the shop technicians to make them work as they should. Guess where that leaves us RV owners.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My hood latch came loose. I cleaned it up and roughed it up with coarse sandpaper. I used JB Weld and it is still hanging on for the past 3 years.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Every glued fiberglass to metal joint has come apart on my Motorhome. This includes the headlight mounts, hood hinges and rear cap braces. I have used JB Weld to re attach all of these spots with great success.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I would agree, JB Weld is your best bet! We use it at work quite bit, it works very good on bonding different materials to each other.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Would agree on JB Weld or a exterior construction adhesive that states fiberglass useage. Saw some at Home Depot.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

JB weld is one fantastic product.I had a airline snap,and limped to a rest stop,got out the JB weld waited 4 hours aired the bags up and it held to I got the line replaced,a month later.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I used Gorilla glue on our Journey. The gorilla glue held after the original glue and the factory re-glue all failed.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

If you never want to do it again try 3m mounting tape. A rubber based double sided adhesive that is close to permanant.

Tony.
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_and_dog View Post
Just got back from WV, PA and northern VA. Was walking around coach when i noticed the lower tail fiberglass wrap around sort of just hanging there. Dug a little deeper and found that the glue that holds the fiberglass to the metal attachment bracket had let go. Bracket still screwed to frame of home.

Any dea as to how to reattach the side rear panel to the bracket without taking to Winny service. (@ $100.00/hr whew!). 07 Journey 36 G w/ 49000 mi so out of warrenty.

thanks
jk
i used jb weld on the right front side fender of my moho with success.
the front end of the fender was loose and vibrating in the wind.
it is a metal to fiberglass joint. i cleaned the area with sandpaper and nail polish remover prior to gluing it. i clamped the joint overnight.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Someone posted this a while back.
"The glue used is Winnebago part number 112901-02-000 -
Plexus MA330 Methacrylate Adhesive 50ml - found at ITW Plexus, Danvers, MA 01923
"
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I used 3M 5200 on front and rear hoods on my Meridian in Key West last winter. Drove home to VA and still better than from the factory.

JB Weld didn't hold at all for me.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

loose panel

I had a front wheel well panel come loose and thee service guy at Winnie told me to use 3M double sided tape. Really?! I took the whole panel off, cleaned it , put on new 3M tape and then added brackets held on with, you guessed it, JB Weld. That stuff really works.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Construction adhesive

I went into Home Depot and found construction adhesive for a caulking gun for about $5.00 and it worked great. There are different types so you will have to read the directions. I carry a tube while on the road.

Good Luck

Roy
R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote