Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coleman thermostat problems - does replacement solve the problem?

I have a 2014 Navion iQ with a Coleman 15,000 btu AC and heat pump. We've had AC problems since we owned this coach. It works fine when we first turn it on but after a period of time it stops cooling. The fan continues to run but no more cooling. If I unplug from shore power and wait a while, it will reset and begin cooling again. But again, it will stop cooling after a while.

I called Winnebago and was told there have been problems with Coleman thermostats. I'm still waiting for an answer as to what they will do.

My question is to anyone else who has had this thermostat problem. Did they replace your thermostat and did that solve the problem? Same thermostat or different model? Was it a wiring issue also, or just the thermostat?

We have pets that are sometimes left in the RV so we need to be confident in the fix.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If it's the thermostat than it seems like you would be able to verify that the 12VDC at the yellow wire is present when it's working and disappears when it stops working. (maybe)
If this is the case you would be able to short ( wait for second opinion first ) 12vdc (red) to the yellow and the AC would stay on.

Don't attempt this unless you personally verify everything and are proficient with a meter.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
If it's the thermostat than it seems like you would be able to verify that the 12VDC at the yellow wire is present when it's working and disappears when it stops working. (maybe)
If this is the case you would be able to short ( wait for second opinion first ) 12vdc (red) to the yellow and the AC would stay on.

Don't attempt this unless you personally verify everything and are proficient with a meter.
Thanks, but I'll have to leave this for the professionals.

I've just about had it with Camping World and Winnebago, though. They're blowing me off with this whole thing. I looked through my warranty documentation and found a contact number for the AC and called yesterday. It's Airexcel RV Products Division. They've been more helpful than anyone else so far. I'm working with them to resolve the problem. According to them, it sounds more like a pressure switch. I'll update with a post when I get more info.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Could be a failing compressor relay in the J-Box.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Could also be a bad capacitor going failed after it warms up.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: I started this thread asking if anyone else had Coleman thermostat problems because Winnebago customer service told me that the problem was a faulty thermostat, which they said was a common problem with Coleman. I brought the coach to CW twice to check the AC and was told they couldn't find the problem. CW wanted me to "bring it back again next time it happens". CW never did any diagnostic test. They just plugged into shore power to duplicate the problem, which for some reason didn't happen for them.

It wasn't until I found a contact number in the AC warranty documents that I got results. I called a company called Airxcel RV Products Division and a guy named Dick immediately authorized an AC replacement under warranty. Kudos to them for doing the right thing.

This is what ticks me off. Winnebago customer service could have made that call to Airxcel - but nooooo. How about CW, they could have made that call - but nooooo. I had to do it myself. We love this coach, but very disappointed in how this was handled. We can only hope now that CW doesn't screw up the new installation.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update. Is CW your only option to install the new one ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ask Airxcel RV Products if they have a more qualified shop in your area. From my experience with CW, you will be glad you did.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Ask Airxcel RV Products if they have a more qualified shop in your area. From my experience with CW, you will be glad you did.
I'm sure there are other qualified shops in Florida but the new AC has been ordered and on the way to CW. Here's my thoughts on that: I've owned several other RV's and as far as service is concerned, it's a shot in the dark no matter who does the service.

This may be wishful thinking, but it should be real simple to replace an existing AC with the same exact model - same bolt pattern, same wiring. Not too much thinking involved there .
Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the update. I would also have to give two thumbs down to both company's that had a chance to make the call. We retire in 5 1/2 years and it seems I might need to spend some of that time researching what to do when the coach needs work. We just have a class C gasser right now and I'm able to do most of the maintenance/repair myself.
Good job!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
UPDATE: I started this thread asking if anyone else had Coleman thermostat problems because Winnebago customer service told me that the problem was a faulty thermostat, which they said was a common problem with Coleman. I brought the coach to CW twice to check the AC and was told they couldn't find the problem. CW wanted me to "bring it back again next time it happens". CW never did any diagnostic test. They just plugged into shore power to duplicate the problem, which for some reason didn't happen for them.

It wasn't until I found a contact number in the AC warranty documents that I got results. I called a company called Airxcel RV Products Division and a guy named Dick immediately authorized an AC replacement under warranty. Kudos to them for doing the right thing.

This is what ticks me off. Winnebago customer service could have made that call to Airxcel - but nooooo. How about CW, they could have made that call - but nooooo. I had to do it myself. We love this coach, but very disappointed in how this was handled. We can only hope now that CW doesn't screw up the new installation.
I know you are frustrated, and rightfully so. Where Winnebago goes wrong, in my opinion, is that they TRY to be the hero ALL of the time and, as in this case, fell short. You should have been given the Airxcel # by the Winnebago rep. Winnebago only builds the RV. The vender knows his product.

As far as CW goes? .... If you can get the thermostat replacement shipped to you, do it. Replacing it is not a big deal. Snap the cover off the old one, remove the mounting screws, unplug the unit, plug the new one in... You see where this is going. I suggest you shut the breakers off in the service panel before you start the swap. Be brave. DIY!!!

Look forward to the 'rest of the story'.

Rick Y
Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I know you are frustrated, and rightfully so. Where Winnebago goes wrong, in my opinion, is that they TRY to be the hero ALL of the time and, as in this case, fell short. You should have been given the Airxcel # by the Winnebago rep. Winnebago only builds the RV. The vender knows his product.

As far as CW goes? .... If you can get the thermostat replacement shipped to you, do it. Replacing it is not a big deal. Snap the cover off the old one, remove the mounting screws, unplug the unit, plug the new one in... You see where this is going. I suggest you shut the breakers off in the service panel before you start the swap. Be brave. DIY!!!

Look forward to the 'rest of the story'.

Rick Y
According to Airxcel, it's not the thermostat. They're replacing the roof AC. I'll update with a post after it's replaced and I know for sure that it's working.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
According to Airxcel, it's not the thermostat. They're replacing the roof AC. I'll update with a post after it's replaced and I know for sure that it's working.
This is good news. As I stated previously, the vender knows his product better than any coach body builder. Some of the bad rap that we give Winnebago service support team is not warranted, as in this case in my opinion. It is good to hear that you are now on the right track.

We await...

Rick Y
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Vendor Support is best

I am quickly learning that going to the product/accessory manufacturer is the best way to resolve issues. I call Lippert, Airexcel, etc FIRST, then call the dealer and make a service appointment. Lippert gave me a reference number for the shop to call and immediately authorized work/parts based on my description directly to Lippert tech. Not from me to service writer, to tech, to Lippert. Not very happy with the Lippert Schwintek slide or the levelers but Lippert was lightening fast on taking responsibility. Slide was probably Winnebago's bad install at the factory. Levelers....failed first try. On Lippert.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, thermostat