Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Former Winnebago Class A

Coleman Basement A/C

I am at my wits end. Over the past 5 years I have spent nearly $6000 in an attempt to have air conditioning that works. New circuit board, new thermostat, and finally a new unit @ $4000
I currently have no a/c and I cannot find anyone who knows what they are doing and can diagnose and properly repair this system. Many techs in the area claim they know what they are doing, charge for some repair, and do not fix the problem(s).
Does anyone know of a competent technician anywhere near Sacramento that may be able to actually fix this system? If so, please forward the info. I am close to getting rid of this coach and becoming a former rv'er....
Thanks...
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here is a map and list of repair facilities within 100 miles of Sacramento. You may be able to check them out for reviews?

http://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/...0ca&radius=100

There was a great place right in Sacramento, unfortunately is is no longer in business.

Has anyone checked the ducting for leaks?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Former Winnebago Class A

Been to some of those, and called most of the others. I even called Coleman for referrals. The two places that he suggested both told me that they don't work on these units... So...? I don't want to go to another RV Repair shop unless somebody can tell me that they actually can diagnose and repair these properly. It seems that most RV techs are tinkerers and can fix simple problems but cannot diagnose deeper issues. I don't care to just throw money at incompetent techs any longer.
I do appreciate your response though.... I'll continue in my quest for a known referral... Thanks, George
Old 06-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I'm curious what has been your basic continuing issue?
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I found a Mobile guy here in Santa Rosa when I had a problem with mine. He diagnosed the problem right away and fixed it. My problem was blown start capacitors. Is your problem lack of cooling or something else?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am also curious. What is your ongoing issue? There are a lot of helpful people on here.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I found a good tech near Chattanooga, TN. Fixed my system last week - new board, thermostat and compressor relays. Works great now. You might give him a call and see if he knows anyone on the west coast. He works closely with a senior tech at Coleman. Ask him if he can call him(Eric?) for a recommendation. His name is Steve Shelburne and the web site and contact info is www.askmrsid.com/contact.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Former Winnebago Class A

Thanks for those responses...

My usual on-going issue is the #1 compressor draws amperage to start and gives up in about one second. Inside and outside fans function but without a compressor firing up it only blows room temperature air....

All of the capacitors are good and the green light indicates a working system. I think it may be a low voltage issue somewhere in the system but have no idea how to find the source of the problem. I had the circuit board, thermostat, and the entire unit replaced 2.5 years ago. It never has worked right in the 5 years that I've owned my coach.......
Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Print off the removal and repair guide found on the internet and take it to a real air condition company. Once I showed the air condition company the service manual that it was easy to remove and is really just a small package A C unit, they got right to work. Since this was a true airconditioning company they were very knowledgeable of what make an A C unit work.
BRuslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Coleman Basement A/C

Yes they are just a package unit in basic design of a mobile home unit that sits outside and is ducted in under the skirting, or a small RTU roof top unit on buildings. Although it has two compressors that would be the only possible difference to some but not all. Really a good tech would not be scared of it once they see what it really is.
Why if you had the unit replace 2.5 yrs. ago it too isn't working right????
How is the breaker in your panel? They need to start looking at something different loose connections in the panel maybe, how about the mode switch for 30a or 50a power coming in, is that not working properly or loose connections? Why would the new replacement not be working properly?
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Never had one so no experience. But would not think RV repair folks would know much about them as they only know how to remove and replace a rooftop unit. The suggestion to find a good home/business AC guy is a good one. Provide them with documentation and parts source.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Thanks for those responses...

My usual on-going issue is the #1 compressor draws amperage to start and gives up in about one second. Inside and outside fans function but without a compressor firing up it only blows room temperature air....

All of the capacitors are good and the green light indicates a working system. I think it may be a low voltage issue somewhere in the system but have no idea how to find the source of the problem. I had the circuit board, thermostat, and the entire unit replaced 2.5 years ago. It never has worked right in the 5 years that I've owned my coach.......
Absolutely great write up on removing the unit for service HERE:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...ure-42567.html

Click the link in the first post. (Also good discussion in general in the thread).

FWIW, this unit is quite simple, and any competent A/C tech should be able to run basic tests quickly, once the unit is partially removed. I had a mobile RV repair guy in Austin, TX pull mine part way out to do testing. He never disconnected the wiring, just the ducts. He then swung the other side out, supported it on a small step ladder, and was able to get inside the unit with no trouble. He said he did a lot of them.

FWIW, I would check the voltage and amperage at startup to see if the compressor is pulling too much current and tripping the overload protector. If you disconnect the primary compressor, and the secondary one starts OK, you can get "Known Good" readings to compare against the primary. This can be done with the unit in place. All you need to do is remove the cover on the area that contains the wiring and control board. (See Page 11 of this link for the factory manual).

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...GI4N2U4N2MzODE

Easy to swap connections at the control board and capacitors to test by substitution.

Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

My first step would be to swap out the #1 compressor start cap and PTSC device with the #2 compressors.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
Former Winnebago Class A

Some good stuff in theses posts.... Thanks Again...
Still searching for the problem...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I agree.
As an electrical contractor for over 30 years i can guarantee a trained AC tech will be able to solve your problems.
You could probably call around and take the coach to them.
Nor often does a contractor have the house brought to them
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It's too bad you're on the 'wrong side of the states'. National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewanna, IN is an excellent repair shop for both A/C's and refrigerators. Has helped a number of members of our club (Water Wonderland Winnies) with both A/C's and refrigerators. Excellent work at a very reasonable cost.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It sounds like maybe a poor connection for the power supply, dropping voltage down to a point where it draws too many amps and shuts down. Also could be a bad cable. Any way you can get a voltage reading from the connection at the unit? That would be a good place to start. Then check back at the next connection you can get to. There should be very little voltage difference any place along the line.
Good Luck, and don't give up!!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Call Lodgemobile at (818) 563-2072 he is down in Burbank and was very good answering my questions about my basement AC....ask for Mark...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If your #1 compressor starts but turns off, I would suspect a defective start capacitor on that compressor. You could interchange the capacitors on comp 1 and 2 and see if that makes a difference. Even though the capacitor might be recently replaced, it may be weak / failing. There really aren't a lot of things that could cause your problem but the start capacitor would be the first suspect. If your breaker is tripping when it shuts off, it might need to be replaced if it has tripped frequently in the past. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know if the bearings can be lubed without pulling the unit?
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote