Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Many of you talk about putting 60W Trouble lite in Sewer & Fresh water compartm'ts to keep them warm in the cold weather. I want to do the same. Where do you plug it in? The only 110 outside plug I have is in 2nd compartm't on passenger side. The sewer & fresh are in the 3rd & 4th compartm'ts on the drivers side. Do you run the cord underneath? How do you keep the cord from dragging the ground in transit? THNX.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Many of you talk about putting 60W Trouble lite in Sewer & Fresh water compartm'ts to keep them warm in the cold weather. I want to do the same. Where do you plug it in? The only 110 outside plug I have is in 2nd compartm't on passenger side. The sewer & fresh are in the 3rd & 4th compartm'ts on the drivers side. Do you run the cord underneath? How do you keep the cord from dragging the ground in transit? THNX.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One idea for at least your fresh water compartment is to plug the light into the receptacle for your engine block heater, which should be located in your electrical/fresh water compartment.

Don't forget to turn on the switch for the engine block heater if you take this route.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Barclay:
Many of you talk about putting 60W Trouble lite in Sewer & Fresh water compartm'ts to keep them warm in the cold weather. I want to do the same. Where do you plug it in? The only 110 outside plug I have is in 2nd compartm't on passenger side. The sewer & fresh are in the 3rd & 4th compartm'ts on the drivers side. Do you run the cord underneath? How do you keep the cord from dragging the ground in transit? THNX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most people only plug in the light overnight for those coooold moring freezes. If you did want that protection running down the road of course the generator would have to be running, and I think it would be a little dangerous to have a cord draped underneath while moving. Can you get access through the floor somewhere?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our '04 Journey has a plug in on the curb side in the entertainment center (the plug is always hot)

There is a switched plug on the street side in the power cord bay (designed for engine block heater) ... but if it is cold enough to put a trouble light in the bay you probably want the engine block heater on too ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We use a 100 watt light bulb when it looks like the temps are going to be in the mid-20s, but only when parked. I don't know what people do when traveling in really cold weather and I hope I never need to know

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I find that a 75 watt bulb works fine. Both my trouble lights say not to exceed 75watts.
I also use the Rough Service Bulbs designed for trouble lights.
ROUGH SERVICE BULBS
I use 12ft appliance extension cords plugged into the 15 amp and 30 amp (with adapter) recepticles on the shore power supply.
12ft Appliance Cords
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Barclay:
Many of you talk about putting 60W Trouble lite in Sewer & Fresh water compartm'ts to keep them warm in the cold weather. I want to do the same. Where do you plug it in? . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I added a GFI protected outlet in the service bay by connecting to the incoming power junction box.

Instead of a trouble light I use a small electric heater set at 45 degrees.
It has worked down to 2 degrees overnight with the furnace set at 65 degrees.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We just drove to Florida from South Dakota and used trouble lights en route. I mounted wireless thermometer sensors in each bay (the Taylor type) and could read the temp while under way.

When the outside temps were in the teens, the water/power bay held about a 40 degree temp while running and apparently gets enough heat off the engine. The sewer compartment dropped below freezing, but I ignored that since I dumped tanks before departing and dumped a gallon of RV anti-freeze in the drains and toilet.

The water pump compartment would slowly drop in temperature, so I used the entertainment outlet and ran my trouble light there while underway.

I used all the trouble lights while parked overnight and it kept the temps up in the compartments.

Good luck!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote