Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coach door rubs on awning

Hello folks,

I have a 2010 Winnegabo Outlook(29'9") with a Sunchaser 9000 Patio Awning installed(factory). This is a manual awning.

When deployed per the user manual, the coach door rubs heavily on the awning.

The current fix from Winnebago has the awning jacked up so high that it now slopes to the coach instead of away from it.

Are there any others who have experienced this problem? What did you do?

Best regards,

Don
doncatedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hubby installed an upside down nylon chair caster wheel (the kind that twists around )on the exterior corner of the door; when the awning is down and you open the door, the castor "rolls" along the underside of the awning. Hasn't seem to rub or wear since he put it up, whereas the corner dragged on the awning before.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Our old unit has one of those wheels on it and it rides right across the rip in the awning... It came to us that way..We keep one end of the awning almost flat while the other end gets set up lower to drain any rain.That way the door doesn't touch the awning.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Don,
I don't know what to say. It sounds like they solved one problem and created another. Having an awning with a reverse slop doesn't seem like it would provide much shade. I had a similar problem when I had my 2000 Itasca Suncruiser but I was able to extend the side braces so the awning cleared the door. I guess it depends how high up on the side of the coach the awning is attached determines the solution that can be used.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi Don,
I don't know what to say. It sounds like they solved one problem and created another. Having an awning with a reverse slop doesn't seem like it would provide much shade. I had a similar problem when I had my 2000 Itasca Suncruiser but I was able to extend the side braces so the awning cleared the door. I guess it depends how high up on the side of the coach the awning is attached determines the solution that can be used.
Our RV lives on our property on THE Tippecanoe River and the door side just happens to face north. The awning MAY have gotten ripped before the wheel was installed or after the wheel came loose or broke. It's not actually a reverse slope and we can put it up with a slight downward slope but it's just easier to set it up NOT to catch rain.. We STILL LOVE our ugly old Beast!!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Don and :welcome:

I've seen the roller wheel on the corner of the door used on other RVs so you are not the only one with that problem.

Too bad they didn't want to properly address what is an obvious design or installation goof.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Let me google that for you

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door