Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coach door lock non-functional

I'm in the process of getting my 2023 EKKO ready for its first trip, and encountered an odd situation with the coach door lock.

I can lock and unlock the door with the inside levers or with the keys from the outside; however, the lock does not respond when I use the button on the key fob. The battery is fully charged according to the gauge on the info panel and all electrical panel breakers and fuses are functioning as expected.

The key fob locks/unlocks the cab doors as expected, but when it comes to the coach door, nothing happens when I press the button. No click, no action, nothing.

The dealer thinks I need to return the rig to them for repair, but since that entails a 400-mile round trip, I'd just as soon not have to do that.

Has anyone else experienced that same problem, and if so, did you find a solution?
Doclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Do you have 2 or 3 copper buttons on the RV doorsilll and matching ones on the door frame? If so, clean them with very fine sandpaper. If that doesn't solve the problem, remove the button panel from the doorsill and make sure the wire connections are clean and tight.
The wireless control box connects directly to the chassis door wiring, but the RV door must have those contact buttons to establish continuity betwee, doorsill and door.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your reply, Ray,

There are two pairs of either aluminum or steel, 5/8" diameter contacts on the strike jamb, and a single contact that mates with one of them on the strike edge of the door. All are shiny and bright. None of the contacts bear any scratches or other signs of touching another surface, which there would undoubtedly be if contact had occurred.
Doclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On my coach there is a box that controls the door lock. I had replaced a key fob and it needed to be programmed. Maybe yours wasn't programmed and tested at the factory. Sorry, I don't have the same coach. Hopefully someone with your coach will help here, otherwise, I'd start by giving Winnebago a call.
WatchMeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I checked the Winnebago parts list for a 2022 Ekko and couldn't find where that year/ model has an actuator in the coach door. Maybe your 2023 is supposed to have the actuator, but I couldn't find a diagram on the Winnebago site for the 2023 Ekko.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Coach Door lock non-functional

Similar issue (intermittent) with coach door lock on our 2020 Winnebago Navion (24V). Appears to be due to weakened/broken spring in one of the contacts on the DOOR Jamb switch mounted on the door itself.

Any of our learned Winnebago gurus have any idea the Mfg and part number for the switch shown in the attached photos??

Thanks much,
cthiggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	185187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	185188  

cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Not spotting it on the parts drawings, so it may be considered part of the chassis for whatever reason and they don't support that little part.
However what I see may not be the true answer so I suggest a call and possibly send a picture to the folks do would be very likely to know the part?

https://winnebagoparts.com/resources/

I'm guessing that is not one where we can find it many places to price shop, so maybe going straight to the head is the way to go?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Coach Door Lock

Mannny thanks for the prompt response. Should not be a "chassis" part as the body/coach door is designed and installed by Winnebago.

But, like you, I am unable to find it in their catalog.

cthiggy
Old 02-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I recently ordered a part from Lichtsinn RV, they found it quickly and shipped quickly. Below is some contact info.

Adam Van Cleve
RV Parts Consultant

LichtsinnRV.com
505 Highway 9 East
Forest City, Iowa 50436
(641) 251-6043 Direct
(515) 393-2857 Text/SMS
[email protected]
Old 02-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Coach Door

Mucho gracias for the suggestion.

cthiggy
Old 02-20-2023, 04:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are spots where I'm never quite sure of how they define chassis versus coach on things, so I look both places at times and find it neither!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Coach Door

Yeah, but you and others on this website are light years ahead of me.

cthiggy

Tags
door