Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi .... got a couiple of ?'s, so will submit in separate discussions.

We have a 2007 Winne Adventurer 35L

The ? is regarding sliding closet doors ... from the start, the closet latches did not seem to be very positive, but now one of the handles/catches has broken off.

Now what ?

Just getting the handle put back on, does not seem to be a longer term fix.

Any suggestions on a better fix ?

Thanx

R&R
Russ & Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi .... got a couiple of ?'s, so will submit in separate discussions.

We have a 2007 Winne Adventurer 35L

The ? is regarding sliding closet doors ... from the start, the closet latches did not seem to be very positive, but now one of the handles/catches has broken off.

Now what ?

Just getting the handle put back on, does not seem to be a longer term fix.

Any suggestions on a better fix ?

Thanx

R&R
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
R&R,

Contact Winnebago Owner's Relations, and see if they will send you new latches with the springs. I've had similar problems with the sliding doors on the wardrobe, and they sent me a set at no charge. If you have to buy them, try going to Winnebago Parts.com. Here is their address: http://www.winnebagoparts.com/

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

They do seem to be a poor design. Mine won't stay latched while driving down the road. I re-crimped the door edge to keep the latch from sliding down and have a couple of small boards to keep the doors from opening while driving until I figure out a permanent fix.

2007 Sunrise 35L
TB-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I stopped in the Winnebago factory for some warranty work when my rig was new ...

One of the things on my list was the latches on my sliding closet doors (across the back on my rig)

I told my tech that I had been using sticks to hold my closet doors closed because the latches were not keeping the doors closed ... his response "yeah, I use sticks on mine too"

Since then I have discovered that my Brake Buddy alert works better if I have both doors as far as they can go on the street side. I have made a single "stilt" looking stick with an extra cleat to hold the back door closed and the front door open against its stop
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This is a problem we had for ever. Replaced ours 3 times in 4 years. Poor design
Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We don't have any broken door latches, but we do use those white, spring-loaded bars from Camping World to hold the doors closed - just in case.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Same as ding-a-ling plus have to use on the door going into the bedroom.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had ours replaced twice and now use sticks--easy insurance against a door slamming open.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

From all the recent posts, I'm wondering if all RV manufacturers have as many ill-engineered (is that a word) items in the coach as Winnebago seems to have. Also wonder where they get their engineers?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
From all the recent posts, I'm wondering if all RV manufacturers have as many ill-engineered (is that a word) items in the coach as Winnebago seems to have. Also wonder where they get their engineers?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some have a few things that are better most do not. If you are comparing apples for apples then nothing in the price ranges is as good overall.

They all have to buy hardware and are limited by what is available. Winnebago seems like they are trying to take control of that and has been changing over to manufacturing their own parts. They already extrude many of their own plastics and aluminum parts so a brass works may not be far off for the latches etc. Otherwise they are facing the same problem finding off the shelf hardware solutions that we would all be willing to use and pay for.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Neil Said:
"They all have to buy hardware and are limited by what is available. Winnebago seems like they are trying to take control of that and has been changing over to manufacturing their own parts. They already extrude many of their own plastics and aluminum parts so a brass works may not be far off for the latches etc. Otherwise they are facing the same problem finding off the shelf hardware solutions that we would all be willing to use and pay for".

Winnie sure hasn't learned any lessons on their use of ATWOOD dual pane windows, or who ever supplies the brass accents for their coaches, ie ; door handles, knobs and pulls. Most of mine have turned nearly black in a little over two years. I have had fogged dual pane windows since the coach was a little over a year old. The brass colored bathroom accents are a joke.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just an update ,,, tried some of the spring loaded bars, works OK.. but, not elegant enough for me ..

Anyway, put in velcro today, seemed to work OK on one of the doors, but not the other ..?

Not sure what to do next, what comes to mind is a couple of nails and a hammer ..!!!

Obviously need to give this problem a little more quality consideration... probably during the cocktail hour tomorrow... maybe a couple of martini's and a good cigar will provide a lucid moment and some sort of epiphany.

Will put the probablem off til tomorrow..

Later

Russ
Old 12-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well, just an update .... gave it some thought, but not much ... wound up cutting a piece of wood trim, to drop into the slides at the bottom of the doors. Not very elegant, but seems like it will work OK. Although not very elegant, the trim is a piece of stained nice Oak, oh well, will just have to do.

Russ
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sometimes, Simple soulutions are the best solutions...Merry Christmas
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Jees, all brass knobs, fittings are still that color. I must be the lucky one. To every one on this fourm, Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR! I love my coach.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>\
Just to let you winnie is not alone,I have had same issue with our wardrobe sliding glass doors.None of them are perfect but they are fun.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote