Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 04 Journey that has a problem with the clear coat peeling on the front cap right where it curves over at the top and the sides right where it curves over. It looks like they did not spray a good coat of clear. Kinda like when they sprayed the front and sides they let the over spray cover it. Has anyone had this problem are having it?
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 04 Journey that has a problem with the clear coat peeling on the front cap right where it curves over at the top and the sides right where it curves over. It looks like they did not spray a good coat of clear. Kinda like when they sprayed the front and sides they let the over spray cover it. Has anyone had this problem are having it?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Randy,
Is the peeling from the actual clear coat of the paint or is it the clear protective mask? You mentioned it is peeling on the front. Winnebago offers an option called a front exterior protective mask. It is basically a clear tape if you will, that covers the front end, protecting the paint from chips, dings, bugs, etc. If you purchased it new, your invoice/window sticker should list the mask under the "options installed by manufacturer". I would think that if it is in fact the mask that is peeling, it would be easier and cheaper to fix that than the actual clear coat paint repair. Good luck...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 meridian. Same problem. Winny says bring it to iowa and they will fix. I'm in MA, so not going to happen. Check your side radius panels also. Mine are peeling there too. I am just going to pay to have it repaired. But will be my LAST winnebago product purchase..
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Wow, you have a FOUR year old coach and Winnie was still willing to fix the problem? I hope your coach had a boat load more problems than that for you to have that opinion. Most RV manufactures would tell you to go pound sand.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Randy

See a previous discussion here on irv2 at http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=2486094452&m=...141044444#114104444 4
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got to take in for hydralic problem again. I have that problem all the time and I will talk to them about my problem. If they can not do something, then when I go to GNR I will talk to them. This is my second time I had problem with paint.Thank you
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I go to GNR I will talk to them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Randy ... my clearcoat flaking is on my "GNR discussion list" also. This will be a good year to attend ...should be some good anniversary festivities.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmaserv:
I have an 04 meridian. Same problem. Winny says bring it to iowa and they will fix. I'm in MA, so not going to happen. Check your side radius panels also. Mine are peeling there too. I am just going to pay to have it repaired. But will be my LAST winnebago product purchase.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a 3M product applied to many different brands.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes Paul, it should be a good GNR. I will be in section "E" I come in with Dick Brewster.Maybe they will fixs our coach. I done know how long the warranty is. But you really done know what they will do. As long as they don'nt drop my coach of the rack. Maybe we will meet.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's a 3M product applied to many different brands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let's not get people confused. This discussion IS NOT ABOUT THE VINYL MASK on the front of the coach. (3M is one mfg, Diamond Shield is another).

This discussion is about the Clearcoat layer that is sprayed on top of the base color paint. It appears to be quite common for the Clearcoat layer to flake and peel along the sides of the roof cap above the awning rail, and also on the top of the front cap around the area of the clearance lamps and higher. See the earlier discussion at the link in my earlier comments for more history.

Randy -- we will be in the MilWIT rows near the center of the rally grounds.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The company in Forest City that does Winneys painting will repaint your coach if it is one that did not have a proper clear coat on the cap and shoulders anywhere. They offered to repaint ours here in FL but we are going near FC in June so will have it painted there. Winnebago will give you the number and name of the man to talk to. My paperwork is back in PA or do a search on this site.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I would like to thank all for the responce to my problem. I know now what to do. I can now get ready for my nexts problem hydralic. That will be coming up nexts. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Randy: Make one call to CDI Paint, Dave Nagle at 641-585-5900. His shop painted our coaches originally. I had the same problem and had it repainted in CA by a vender.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CDI Paint, Dave Nagle at 641-585-5900. His shop painted our coaches </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe that is true for 2004 and later. Prior to that, some were painted by CDI and some by Winnebago. My 2003 was one of the Winnebago paint jobs. I haven't yet heard anyone tell of them helping with paint repairs ...guess I'll find out!

Interesting that both the Winnebago painted coaches AND the CDI painted coaches have problems in the same areas...
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I talked with Dave Nagle with CDI. He siad that he would take care the clear coat peeling. That it would be under warranty. That's great.No hassel. He said for me to call him before I get to GNR. and he will set a day to do the work. In by morning and out by afternoon. Thank again to all
Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
Randy: Make one call to CDI Paint, Dave Nagle at 641-585-5900. His shop painted our coaches originally. I had the same problem and had it repainted in CA by a vender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So let me get this straight. I have an '05 Journey with the peeling clear coat, all I have to do is call this number and he will set me up with someone to fix the problem? It has really been a sore spot for us as we try to keep the coach looking like new and find the clear coat peeling. We even had the Perma Plate process done when we first bought the coach.
Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Hi Mikeso: The answer is YES. Call Dave..
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Wonder how many they have had to re-paint. I've talked to a local painter who says the clear coat should be sprayed on very shortly after the paint is. Does anyone know if CDI does repaint then spray the clear coat or just spray on some clear coat on top of everything that's already there? That seems like quite a job for "in by morning, out by evening". Doesn't seem possible they could sand off the old clear coat and paint, then re-paint, let dry, and new clear coat in one day. It would certainly be nice getting it done that fast though.
Wagonmaster2 (yes, mine needs it too)
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Mikesa, it,s sure seem so. He was very nice about it. He know the problem is out there and seem to want to correct it. Unusual to fine someone that wants to work with you. He allso check out this forum to. Give him a call.As far as putting on the clear coat, they will probly light sand the clear coat down to the base coat, wipe it down with paint prep to remove waxs and clean the surface and spray it. The paint that are used today are fast driers.With the heat that we will have when I take it in will speed that up. I will be glad when it's done. For me I want my coach to look like new. I waxs at lease four times a year,if not more. Mine sets outside and it takes alittle more work to keep it up.