Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Clear coat flaking off

Like a few others on the forum, in the past year I have noticed my clear coat on different parts of the front cap flaking off. I know the clear coat is part of the paint process, but wondering if the only fix is to re-paint the whole front end

I know that this was probably a problem that originated at the factory, but not sure what would have caused it, poor adhesion, not enough clear, or etc. I called Winnebago hoping that they would have a solution for me, or offer some assistance, but all they could say was "sorry about you"!

So now, I will accept responsibility for the repairs, but just wondering what others have done.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

You will need to re-clear coat after lightly sanding. If you sand too hard or too much you will sand through the underlying paint.......Then you will have to paint AND clear coat.
If yo can be anywhere near Jacksonville, FL I have a recommendation for you. PM me if you want the name/number
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I just redid a section of my rear end with clear coat.

It was Clear Coat over Gel Coat, not paint. After 16 years of sunshine, it peeled off in sheets with a razor blade.

I used Spray Max 2000 TouchupSprayPaint.com : Spray Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Clear Aerosol, Clear Coats, 3680061 as I have on other Clear Coat repairs on the rig. 4 coats about 10 minutes apart with a $22.00 rattle can.

Unfortunately, I am not good enough to get the clear coat applied with a great shine so I have to lightly wet sand (1500 and 2000 grit) and buff the newly applied clear coat to complete the job.

If you cannot remove all the old clear coat, you might try a two step process to avoid sanding on your underlying color coat.

Scrape off all the loose clear coat.

Clean and then spray clear coat on the repair area overlapping onto the old clear coat. This will leave the old clear coat edges showing through the new clear coat.

Then aggressively sand the mating areas to remove any ridges of old under the new. Aggressive sanding is facilitated by having layer or two of clearcoat over all the underlying painted area as protection.

Then, if needed, prepare the surface and spray Clear on the repair area for a final coat.

That has worked for me the one time I tried the process. The gelcoat below my Clear Coat is about the same thickness as your underlying color coat so sanding on the underlying surface is dicey in both situations.

I have done this repair in my driveway when temps are higher than 50 degrees and very light wind if any.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We had the clear coat on our upper cap do the same thing. I had our's painted with that stuff that you coat and protect beds in trucks. Only cost me $300.00 and it looks great. Had it done in black and it's really tuff and resists to rocks. I think the product was called Ryno Liner. We have an 04 Journey.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A company by the name of CDI did the painting for Winnebago. Don't know if this is a subsdiary or contract company, but at last check, they were standing behind the poor quality of the paint issue. Trouble was you had to go to Forest City. Don't know if phone number or contact person is still viable, but at the time it was Dave Nagle at 1-641-585-5900 or 1-641-590-3420. Hope this helps.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks deandec, I did buy a can of clear coat last summer but never got up the courage to use it. But listening to your success story builds my confidence in the process. It is in storage now so I will work on it this spring when I get it home.

Grimesy, I had heard that it was a paint issue, but after 8 years I think I will take on the task myself. I would spend more driving to Indiana to get a free repair than it would cost at a shop locally.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
listening to your success story builds my confidence in the process.
Even if you make a few mistakes would it be any worse off than it is now?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks deandec, I did buy a can of clear coat last summer but never got up the courage to use it. But listening to your success story builds my confidence in the process. It is in storage now so I will work on it this spring when I get it home.
I did pay a pro to remove the brow peeling clear, apply paint to the white gelcoat, and layer Clear Coat over the top. That cost $1000 in 2003.

I recently sanded and partially buffed a Clear Coat application that I did in with a rattle can as described in my post above. I still have to polish buff this area especially over the galley window. (The picture was taken with morning dew dripping into the area.)

The white area over the awning, below the molding, from the front to behind the awning in the rear, was the size of the repair.

I began clear coat repairs by using a clear coat rattle can from the internet. I did not like the result.

The Spray Max 2000 (red label is the slower drying formula) has a more sophisticated spray nozzle and is a 2 part paint. I buy it at an Auto Paint Supply store.

Pot life in the rattle can is only 24 hours. It seems to cover better and can absorb a lot of sanding pressure when I am trying remove the Orange Peel effect that I cannot seem to avoid.

I have not sanded and buffed my most recent applicaton to the rear of the coach. At its present state, a picture would be discouraging.

I have not painted clear coat before these repairs, and have never painted an vehicle before. If I were expecting a factory finish, I'd take it to a pro.

My theory is that if I screw it up, I am out $25 for the paint and still will have to pay the pro. Nobody pays me for my time anymore.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We had the front cap and upper curved top section on each side repainted last year for about $1,400. The clear coat was coming off the front cap as well as the base color in spots. To make our coach look right we opted to redo the upper front cap and side closure panels. Looks like new now. Our coach is a 2004 Journey. The guy who painted it said that the paint machines Winnebago's paint subcontractor used in those days did not apply much paint or clear coat on the curving parts above the sides on these coaches. maybe the newer models are painted better than in 2003, 2004, etc.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

paint and clear coat issue

I have just purchased 2004 Journey 36G full body paint and have the paint and clear coat peeled off the angled part of the front above the windshield to the end of the fiberglass cap. Will be looking to touch it up once we get things organized and reasonable weather to work in. Sounds like it's not an uncommon problem.
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Dean, Where did you have the painting done?

Thanks,
Tom
TomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Clearcoat gone?

Our 2002 JourneyDL has lost just about all clearcoat on white paint area, bronze area still holding? Looking at having to repaint whole body, any suggestions or recommendations.
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Tom E:

Kiss RV in Glendale, AZ. They are located on 75th Avenue just north of the 75th Ave and Grand Avenue (US 60) intersection. Kelly is their painter and knows his stuff.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundon7 View Post
Our 2002 JourneyDL has lost just about all clearcoat on white paint area, bronze area still holding? Looking at having to repaint whole body, any suggestions or recommendations.
Wasn't aware that Winnebago offered full body paint on the Journey in 2002. Do you mean the gelcoat has faded on the unpainted (white) portion of your coach?

We had our '02 full body painted this past summer and are really pleased with the results. See my blog at the top of this page for the full details. We had the work done at Commercial Refinishers in Durham, NC.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundon7 View Post
Had our 02 Horizon 39QD done at 250.00 per ft...Outstanding work...

RV Painting, Motorhome Painting... Quality, yet Affordable
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Phoenix has got some great examples of the work they do, could be an option down the road. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
A company by the name of CDI did the painting for Winnebago. Don't know if this is a subsdiary or contract company, but at last check, they were standing behind the poor quality of the paint issue. Trouble was you had to go to Forest City. Don't know if phone number or contact person is still viable, but at the time it was Dave Nagle at 1-641-585-5900 or 1-641-590-3420. Hope this helps.

Don, WIT 70041
I noticed that my ClearCoat had peeled (they call it 'burned') on both sides of the roof cap above the gutter in Dec 2009. I emailed Winne and had a response before I rolled out of bed the following morning, as well as an email from CDI offering to stand behind the fix. By the end of the day, my local RV body shop had talked to CDI to work out the financials, and a week later they had sanded, and re-painted, & ClearCoated the entire painted surfaces of the roof cap, including the entire area above the windshield. Tis beautiful.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I noticed that my ClearCoat had peeled (they call it 'burned') on both sides of the roof cap above the gutter in Dec 2009. I emailed Winne and had a response before I rolled out of bed the following morning, as well as an email from CDI offering to stand behind the fix. By the end of the day, my local RV body shop had talked to CDI to work out the financials, and a week later they had sanded, and re-painted, & ClearCoated the entire painted surfaces of the roof cap, including the entire area above the windshield. Tis beautiful.
What year is your coach? I called and spoke to a Winnie person and they said "too bad, so sad, but I will give you some suggestions on where to take it". I do believe that the material or the procedures used were sub par, and repairs should be handled by Winnebago.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What year is your coach? I called and spoke to a Winnie person and they said "too bad, so sad, but I will give you some suggestions on where to take it". I do believe that the material or the procedures used were sub par, and repairs should be handled by Winnebago.
'06

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Thank-you yes I meant Gel-coat
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote