Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
'06
Thanks Jeff, yours is a bit newer than mine.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Meridian and had to do the clearcoat on the top,sides and front and rear cap on the curved surface area two years after we bought. I have looked at 2004,2005,2006,2007,2009 coaches and they all do it. Obviously Winnie sub contractor has a problem that just isn't going to get fixed.
ravenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenbuck View Post
We have a 2005 Meridian and had to do the clearcoat on the top,sides and front and rear cap on the curved surface area two years after we bought. I have looked at 2004,2005,2006,2007,2009 coaches and they all do it. Obviously Winnie sub contractor has a problem that just isn't going to get fixed.
I have never had the clear coat fail on any of my cars, but of course I didn't pay as much for them. Hey, wait a minute...........
Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Meridian had to be repainted by CDI 3 years ago but I had to take it back to Forest City for the job. Besides no one locally that I would trust for that large a vehicle. Understand when CDI was originally painting the new vehicles there was some kind of air environmental problem and they scrimped on the clear coat causing all the later flaking or pealing.

Good luck getting Winnebago or CDI to fix your paint.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2, yep I believe what you say will be the final result. I am expecting to pay for my own repairs. It is just part of owning a motorhome. Not a good part, but a part.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Glad to read all the suggestions to repair the peeling clear coat on my 2004 Journey. Winnebago in Forest City, Iowa should have paid for this defect in their paint process to be fixed. We have had our coach for 10 years now and have done so many repairs it has been mind boggling! Would never purchase another Winnebago coach.
sholleque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I recently purchased a 2008 Meridian and just got a quote to repaint the clear coat on the cap and part of a side where the rain runs off the roof and drips on the side. The quoted cost of repaint is $1500. Ouch.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

KatieVL:

We had the exact same job done on our 2004 Journey about five or six years ago and the cost then was $1,400. I think the quote you got for your Meridian is a good deal in today's economy. Go for it!
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ View Post
Tom E:

Kiss RV in Glendale, AZ. They are located on 75th Avenue just north of the 75th Ave and Grand Avenue (US 60) intersection. Kelly is their painter and knows his stuff.
I 2nd the "thumbs up" for Kelly at KISS RV. I took my former 06 WGO View to them. It came out very nicely and my buyers loved it.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 Meridian and just got a quote to repaint the clear coat on the cap and part of a side where the rain runs off the roof and drips on the side. The quoted cost of repaint is $1500. Ouch.
CDI does all the full body paint for Winnebago. Call Dave at CDI (641) 585-5900 and ask if they would repaint the top clear coat as a good will gesture. They did my buddy's 2006 Meridian last summer for just the cost of paint $220.

CDI did my 2004 Chieftain last July while I was at the GNR (Grand National Rally) at the factory. They repainted the top of front cap, rear cap and both roof radius. I had them repaint a 2 ft section on the sidewall damaged from a broken awning. I also had them repaint 2 compartment doors and touch up rock dings on 6 other doors. They only charged me $800. I was in & out in one day. Since then I polished up the wheels and have had several people think my 11 yr old coach was a new Chieftain model.

Of course you'll have to plan a vacation passing thru Forest City, Iowa.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 02-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Talk to Winnebago first. About 4 years ago I took them up on their off to do the re-paint gratis if I took it to Forest City.
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I don't see a trip to Iowa in my near future. It is over 1600 miles away. The gas alone would cost me over $1,000.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Are Winnebagos the only ones that seem to have this problem of the clear coat peeling? I had my 2004 Meridian done at Forest City by CDI about 5-6 years ago and it started showing the need for it again last year. Are they not spraying it on heavy enough, not correct preparation, or not using a good product? Not sure what I'll do this time since as was stated above the cost of fuel alone can run $600-$800 depending on current fuel prices plus campground and daily living expenses.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

the clear on my hood started to peal last year, now it is almost completely gone. I had several body shops look at it. all of them would not touch the job unless I removed the hood and brought it to them. took me two hours to remove it now I need a football team to help load it on the trailer.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenbuck View Post

I wouldn't blame Winne alone. It seems everyone runs into this situation. I've been told it's because I don't wax it enough. Believe me the front, side tops and rear upper cap usually get two coats when I wax the coach. That being said why are the sides not peeling???? They only get one coat of wax per application. Poor preparation and application of the clear coat is the problem.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
Inexpensive way to re-do clearcoat would be to lightly scuff the surface, then apply clearcoat. It last a couple of years before it starts pealing again.

The appropriate way would be to sand all of the old CC off, which will get into the basecoat. Re-paint base and clear with good product and it will last a very long time.

If I had to have it done, I'd get it in writing what they planned to do (and don't let somebody tell you that they are so good that they can sand all cc off without touching the base).
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

I did it to my rig. It did not look great only better than the flaky look. I've since had it repainted for 800. If you are not too fussy it will be ok. By the way do not use masking tape around the repair or you will just have another spot to do.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I did it to my rig. It did not look great only better than the flaky look. I've since had it repainted for 800. If you are not too fussy it will be ok. By the way do not use masking tape around the repair or you will just have another spot to do.

Or, roll the masking tape leading edge under so there is a "lift" to the edge and no straight line for a ridge to form.

Place the tape edge several inches into good "old" clear coat that has been sanded for adhesion (600 grit).

Ease up on the spray application as you approach the tape edge.

Sand and buff the whole thing to blend it together. Clear coat (new and old) can be polished with progressive use of 1200 grit, then 2,000 grit sand paper followed by polish.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote