Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #41
Winnebago Watcher

My 07 Monaco had the same problem, clear coat peeling on front and back caps and on the curvature like yours. I had a local shop do it that fixes boats and rvs. charged me 650.00 and did a great job. That was a year ago.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
wangonmast2, how many clear coats did you re-apply? I'm no paint expert, just my own experience, but the more coats you apply the more glossy the surface will become. And the pro's will wet sand and re-apply.

I had a plan to clean and redo the clear myself, but not repaint the base colors. My thinking was the roof radius was so high up, that at a distance a new clear coat on top of the exposed dull base colors would look ok and stop the advance of the old clear peeling. So I bought two spray cans of top quality auto clear at about $25 ea. Then I had the broken awning mess up the side of the mh and went with CDI while at the GNR in July.
I think I just did a couple of light coats so it wouldn't run down the side. When this trip is over I'll try wet sanding what I've already done and just keep adding coats until it gets shiny. I got my spray can of clear coat from Auto Zone, was a fairly small can, and only cost about $7 the best I can remember. Is there other places that might carry a higher quality spray clear coat?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone think a cover would help?
Jug100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I think I just did a couple of light coats so it wouldn't run down the side. When this trip is over I'll try wet sanding what I've already done and just keep adding coats until it gets shiny. I got my spray can of clear coat from Auto Zone, was a fairly small can, and only cost about $7 the best I can remember. Is there other places that might carry a higher quality spray clear coat?
What my local automotive paint supply recommended to me was DuPont Acrylic Clear A-74805.

Your local auto body repair shops can tell you where they buy their paint and you can go there.

Jug100, absolutely a cover would help....but it's a big trade-off between the hassle factor and to some degree safety. If your in a windy area a cover probably isn't a good option. I had my mh under an aluminum carport awning with nursery tarps on sides and front so no sun hit my rig in storage. I had no peeling problems the first 4 yrs. Then we took off fulltiming and in 3 yrs was showing deterioration, first on the black sections, then dark brown, and finally on the light tan colors along the roof line.

Happy Trails,
Bill