Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Wow Chuck, that looks professionally done...nice to have buddies with paint shops too.

Rick and Sandy, our front and rear caps are still in fair shape and it's the roof to side corners on both sides that are peeling. I'm getting a price quote for wrapping this area only so we're hoping it's a little less money than a full body wrap.
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Wow Chuck, that looks professionally done...nice to have buddies with paint shops too.

Rick and Sandy, our front and rear caps are still in fair shape and it's the roof to side corners on both sides that are peeling. I'm getting a price quote for wrapping this area only so we're hoping it's a little less money than a full body wrap.
Ron,
How is ya Pal? Anyway, I think you'd be way better off having a "re-coat" of the radius's all the way around. While raps seem to be doing ok on the semi-temp market, I'd sure think about a more permanent solution. I'm certainly no expert on any of this. I have done a bit of painting and, in reality, it's not all that hard. Not having the proper area to do the work always presents a problem. But, I think you could do the work, alongside the shop, on a calm day. You'd certainly not present any problems with neighbors being too close by.

I'm just now starting to show some signs of clear coat pealing, small, but starting. It can only get worse. So, before it get's too much worse, I might get some local shops here in Havasu, to take a look at it and see what they think. I've got the space now to do it and, of course, I've got a half dozen guns too but, what I don't have is "AGE". Like others, I too get real tired of going up and down ladders for doing high work on this big beast.

It really sucks getting old. I've still got the capability of doing quality painting and, the equipment to do it but, not the agility or, the limberness I used to have. I love painting, I just hate the prep work. I couldn't even think about doing it at the present time, the paint would dry before it hit the surface. It's only about 107 in the shade right now.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I've done quite a bit of painting in my career...lots of custom cars and two motorhomes. I'm thinking of repainting my top radiuses in my yard on a calm morning. I live quite a ways from my neighbors. I think NHRA's post above pretty much says what's necessary. I do have to agree with FireUp though, These ol' bones don't really like me climbing ladders or working on my knees anymore.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Hi Scott, I'm wishing we had a fourteen foot rollup door at the ranch to park our baby inside the shop and outa the sun like your new AZ home, plus, I personally suck at painting anything. So I'm simply weighing the alternatives to painting at the moment with a vinyl wrap.

I've just recently noticed my rear slide and driver side basement doors showing signs of age as well! Who knows, we may go off the deep end and do a front cap face lift, head light exchange and new full body paint job she's such a keeper.

We absolutely love everything about our 10 year old Journey and just wanna make her nice and shiny again...
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I've done quite a bit of painting in my career...lots of custom cars and two motorhomes. I'm thinking of repainting my top radiuses in my yard on a calm morning. I live quite a ways from my neighbors. I think NHRA's post above pretty much says what's necessary. I do have to agree with FireUp though, These ol' bones don't really like me climbing ladders or working on my knees anymore.
Would renting scaffolds allow you to walk along and not have to move the ladder every 4 feet?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I had the front top cap and rear lower cap repainted by MAACO. The MAACO I used has a 70' paint booth and does award winning custom work. The front cap was peeling, the lower rear cap needed some body work as a tow truck driver hung his tailights over it and it rubbed two spots down to the fiberglass. Idiot! Me too, for not being more attentive, but I was stressed out with the breakdown and tow experience, so didn't think about it. The total cost for both was $1000.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I called CDI in Forest City. They are the company that Winnebago contracts with to paint their motorhomes. They knew exactly what the problem was and said that they could repaint the front cap above the windshield and do the roof radiuses on the sides. This included the clearcoat. The charge would be $300. I about fell out of my chair! Also, they could make an appointment about a week out to have the work done. The other good thing is they thought they could do it in one day so we wouldn't have to worry about a motel. They told me that if it ran over into another day, that they would return the coach to us for the night and we could bring it back the next morning. Cool! I scheduled the appointment for this last Monday and drove to Forest City. We took it in and dropped it off at 7:00 am. I called at 3:30 pm to see how they were doing and they were just taking it out of the shop. It was done! They had sanded the front and did the preparation and painted two colors on the front and did the clearcoat. It looks just like new. I am not going to argue with anyone about the quality of the job and how many coats were applied, etc. The point is that it was done by the company that originally painted the motorhome, the price was amazing and it looks like new. Time will tell how it holds up but I'm a happy camper.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

CDI repainted my 10.5 yr old coach 6 wks ago while I attended the GNR. I had paint damage to all 3 colors on the side when the wind broke the awing arm at one end and it beat against the side for 3 hrs. They repainted the roof radius and front cap above the windshield. I had 3 compartment doors and bottom 4" of rear cap repainted due to little mishaps. I had them touch up the rock dings on 5 more compartment doors (which they applied a clear coat over the entire door and they look like new).

CDI did all of this for $850. In at 7 am out at 5 pm, I was a very happy camper!!! Got the wheels polished up and the baby looks like new again.

Several months back I was at my good buddy John Canfield ranch in Texas, I mentioned that CDI was going fix my clear coat for no charge (ex cost of paint) at the GNR. He got his '06 Horizon roof radius, front & rear cap done at the GNR for approx $220. He was pretty excited with the results.

You can call Dave at CDI (641) 585-5900, he'll take good care of you.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

wish I could find a [place around me to have that done. that price I could afford no way I can pay 2000 or more for the work
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Having painted many coaches over the years with this problem, we've yet to have one come back after repairs were made. I can't imagine any shop that could preform the necessary repairs in less then a couple days if following the correct procedures. Typically all the old clear needs to be sanded off and in doing so will get it into the color, so color needs to be re-applied and a high quality 2 to 1 urethane clear applied with at least 3 coats or 3mil thickness. If the peeling clear isn't removed and/or edges feathered it will lift the new applied clear in time. So if a shop was to just scuff and shoot in a single day, then yes I'd expect the new to start flaking in due time. Average cost here in Washington State to properly prep, paint & clear is $2500.

Jim Lewis
And that's the "secret" proper preparation, careful application of quality product per specifications. You really do get what you pay for in this instance.
Anyone remember the advertisement $99 paint job for autos? Wonder what happened to that company___or the painted autos?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
And that's the "secret" proper preparation, careful application of quality product per specifications. You really do get what you pay for in this instance.
Anyone remember the advertisement $99 paint job for autos? Wonder what happened to that company___or the painted autos?

Earl Scheib... went out of business in 2010.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Showing my age here. I remember seeing commercials in the early 60's starring Earl Scheib himself: "My name is Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car, any color, for just $29.95."
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoose105 View Post
Showing my age here. I remember seeing commercials in the early 60's starring Earl Scheib himself: "My name is Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car, any color, for just $29.95."
Yep, and they looked like it too!! Painted right over the chrome and anything else left on the car.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

My 06 Journey started to peel around 08. Both caps and tops. Repainted locally. Both sides are now showing light spots all over the sides. I see newer MH with the same peeling. How can winne. allow CDI to continue to paint is pathetic. I will say I see other brands with the same problems with peeling.

Don
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I placed masking tape on one of the main panels (large section) and when it was removed, a section of clearcoat came off.

NOT wanting to remove all clearcoat, paint and re-clear...what can I do to address that particular spot?

IF I scuff and clear that single spot, what's the drill? I know it will lift in time, but it will look better than today.

There will be overspray around the section, but will the section telegragh right through the new stuff?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

I agree with "dstinch" how does CDI stay as the major paint shop for Winnebago? My coach was 2 years old when the front cap paint peeled. CDI Dave paid for a local guy to fix it, I was happy with that. Then the back cap, roof rails and portions of my drivers side bubbled and peeled. My 8 year paint job on an expensive RV looked like crap. So I showed it to the West Coast Winnebago Rep at a Winnebago Rally, he said, "Sorry you are on your own." After that I realized the paint job was poor and I paid to have a good guy repaint the bad areas, $2400. So if you buy another Winnebago/CDI expect 8 years or less out of your $$$$ Rv paint job , how do they keep in business? If I was much younger I'd like set up a paint shop in Forest City; nothing like competition to improve quality!
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #37
Winnebago Watcher

Just curious, but has anyone thought about using a tougher UV resistant paint similar to a bedliner paint on the top cap sides and front cap? I have a local indy RV shop that does this with painted front bumpers that are all chipped up and it really looks good. They sand all the old stuff off and re-paint with something akin to flat black Rhino paint, but it is not rough like some bed liners. They suggested that this would be a good fix for the top cap clear coat peeling that I have on my '04 Horizon in either flat black or something a bit closer to my coach colors.

I don't have an estimate from them yet, but I would think that it has to be cheaper than making a 1400 mile round trip to Iowa given the price of fuel.

Thoughts?

Gary
Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Wagon you may recall that CDI repainted the caps and shoulders of our o4 Journey back in o6. We sold it in March and the rear cap was starting to peel but the others were still good.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

I have tried cleaning and spraying a clear coat on the top of the rear cap where it has pealed quite a bit and the shine just doesn't come back. The dull paint where the clear coat has pealed just doesn't look like the surrounding areas where the clear coat hasn't pealed.

Is there something else that needs to be done to get the shine back?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have tried cleaning and spraying a clear coat on the top of the rear cap where it has pealed quite a bit and the shine just doesn't come back. The dull paint where the clear coat has pealed just doesn't look like the surrounding areas where the clear coat hasn't pealed.

Is there something else that needs to be done to get the shine back?
wangonmast2, how many clear coats did you re-apply? I'm no paint expert, just my own experience, but the more coats you apply the more glossy the surface will become. And the pro's will wet sand and re-apply.

I had a plan to clean and redo the clear myself, but not repaint the base colors. My thinking was the roof radius was so high up, that at a distance a new clear coat on top of the exposed dull base colors would look ok and stop the advance of the old clear peeling. So I bought two spray cans of top quality auto clear at about $25 ea. Then I had the broken awning mess up the side of the mh and went with CDI while at the GNR in July.