Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Clean pine needle stains on fiberglass roof?

I have an Adventurer 35f. It's parked under some pine trees and despite my attempts to keep pine needles off of the roof, it's got some stains. I've read the manuals and done a fair share of searches but can't find a recommendation for what I should use to get the roof clean. I've used a Dawn and water solution and tried the Maguire's car wash I use. Still stained. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi 202235f,
This stuff works well:
https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Commercia...dp/B01MRCZ40G/
It is safe for the roof itself, but I do not know if it is safe for the sealant. It probably is, but I don't know.
Eagle5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AC68A78-E3AF-4995-B871-99200CF06D4C.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	185089  
Old 01-30-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I wax my roof twice a year with Meguiars #83 or #56, and when I wash it; I use the RV Wash & Wax ( no pressure washer)

Also I have a Cedar Elm tree over my RV and when leaves, twigs fall on the roof with the rains, I get stains too. I use to fret and try to go clean, but I learned if I do nothing, it will go away by itself ( 2 weeks or so) just from the UV of the sun. Some chemist can you tell why.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:13 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Not trying to be a smarty here- but in all seriousness if at all possible remove the pines if you like your rig. Mine was consistently black/gray and covered with pine sap and needles in spite of regular cleanings.

As soon as the pines were removed I found I had a snow white roof that rarely if ever needs cleaning.

I like trees but the removal of the trees and replanting the area with shrubs has been a life saver for our RV roof-- and reduced the risks associated with frequent visits to the roof for more cleaning than was necessary
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Rascal, I hear you and I also agree with you. However, I live in Central SC and the pine trees are mature long leaf pine. Most of them are huge, well north of 75ft. We've had several removed and have 7 still standing. I know I am delaying the inevitable but it runs me $1 000 per tree to remove...Thanks for your response.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:01 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I know exactly what you are going through and I feel for you as we live about due west of you on the west side of Georgia. Same size as yours. I had 7 of those same pines lined up about 10 ft from my rig.

They never made any decent shade for me as they were on the wrong side of the house. Juts made mess and scared us during wind storms.

Wow -$1K per tree???? That's pretty steep. I paid $500 for all 7 of mine to be removed. Any chance there s anyone else around to get them out at a better price for you? Just sayin?

All the best

Joe
Old 02-02-2023, 06:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
I know exactly what you are going through and I feel for you as we live about due west of you on the west side of Georgia. Same size as yours. I had 7 of those same pines lined up about 10 ft from my rig.

They never made any decent shade for me as they were on the wrong side of the house. Juts made mess and scared us during wind storms.

Wow -$1K per tree???? That's pretty steep. I paid $500 for all 7 of mine to be removed. Any chance there s anyone else around to get them out at a better price for you? Just sayin?

All the best

Joe
Cut down and removed seven 75' trees for $500, that sounds amazing. I am never gonna try to negotiate with you, you are a pro

I paid $800 last year to remove 3 very large Live Oak branches that hovered over the roof because the homeowners insurance company was giving us grief. The quotes ranged from $800 - $1,800. Scares me to think what they would charge to remove it? The tree is 33 years old. Live Oak is very hard though compared to Pine

My Cedar Elm over the RV has some sap / droppings too, but I guess Pine is a different ball game. There have been times it looked bad with leaves, but I have never tried to clean it because of the leaves or sap? I just keep it waxed and wash it on regular cycle with the RV. I have use the leaf blower on occasion during the fall. Next time it is covered with leaves I will snap a picture. Below is a before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210807_192119 rotate.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	185105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_185840_rotate.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	185106  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-03-2023, 04:20 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've noticed quite a disparity in the tree removal prices and lots of price competition luckily in these parts. Fortunately I was able to get a licensed and insured guy who does not use or invest any heavy equipment (i.e. bucket trucks etc thus no overhead). He's a climber (and pretty fast) and uses rope to tie off small sections he's whacking on and a small chain saw. He had a crew of about 5. In 90 minutes he pretty much had all of them on the ground.

You can pay him extra for a sub contractor he uses to chip up branches and small stuff, and for a few more bucks you can get him to bring in a stump grinder. I did pay extra for the stump grinder, but not the downed limbs. I hauled them to my rear yard where I disposed of the limbs by burning myself which we are allowed to do here. He hauled off and sold the larger logs to wood companies around here which helped offset his costs.

I've used this guy 2x over the past 10 years. Once to remove 3 large oaks, then the 7 pines. $500 total each time. There are folks like him out there that will give you a good deal if you can find them
Old 02-03-2023, 07:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Joe and everyone for your responses. Everyone is right, the trees have to come down. They make a real mess. I'll ask around to see if I can find another licensed insured contractor at a better price.
DK, your waxed roof looks amazing. Sure would help keeping pine sap from sticking. However, doesn’t your roof get really slick underfoot? Mine is really slippery with the soap and I'd think that waxing would make it impossible to stand on.
Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2023, 07:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I've noticed quite a disparity in the tree removal prices and lots of price competition luckily in these parts. Fortunately I was able to get a licensed and insured guy who does not use or invest any heavy equipment (i.e. bucket trucks etc thus no overhead). He's a climber (and pretty fast) and uses rope to tie off small sections he's whacking on and a small chain saw. He had a crew of about 5. In 90 minutes he pretty much had all of them on the ground.

You can pay him extra for a sub contractor he uses to chip up branches and small stuff, and for a few more bucks you can get him to bring in a stump grinder. I did pay extra for the stump grinder, but not the downed limbs. I hauled them to my rear yard where I disposed of the limbs by burning myself which we are allowed to do here. He hauled off and sold the larger logs to wood companies around here which helped offset his costs.

I've used this guy 2x over the past 10 years. Once to remove 3 large oaks, then the 7 pines. $500 total each time. There are folks like him out there that will give you a good deal if you can find them
Makes sense, like I said, you are a pro.

The more I read, I think my case was different because I had very large branches hanging over the house (roof). With the recent ice storm, might have been good that they were removed?

They had 5 guys as well and they cut up all of the limbs in a shredder, and put logs in neat 3 ft sections that the city came out to pick up with a machine. They spent 5 or 6 hours before finishing. They had to navigate the cutting to pull the limbs away from the roof as they were cutting. It was quit the job and hard for me to even watch, but they knew what they were doing.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
Thanks Joe and everyone for your responses. Everyone is right, the trees have to come down. They make a real mess. I'll ask around to see if I can find another licensed insured contractor at a better price.
DK, your waxed roof looks amazing. Sure would help keeping pine sap from sticking. However, doesn’t your roof get really slick underfoot? Mine is really slippery with the soap and I'd think that waxing would make it impossible to stand on.
Thanks again!
No mine is not slippery from the wax. Maybe if I wear socks? I wear boat shoes when washing. But yes care is required. You should know that 3 1/2 years ago you could not pay me to get up on a RV roof even a dry one. It is the only part of PDI I did not do. Takes me 20 min to wash the roof but as I said I do use RV Wash & Wax. When I do the real wax only (early spring and late fall (before leaves start to drop) It takes about 2 hours.

FWIW, I don't have to actually get up on the roof to Wash it but I do because it is faster and in some ways safer than going up / down a ladder.

I have been doing this since 2019, and I now debate with myself if I only need to do the wax on Once a year? The problem is, if I did once a year it would likely be late fall before leave drop, then come spring I will get restless with the nice weather and can't help myself from wanting to go back up there and wax again.

The other thing for you is to find out more about how stains are naturally bleached out normally by the sun. It was quite the discovery for me, but a chemical process nonetheless. As I said earlier, I never see leaf stains and think I need to go clean it. I drink beer for two weeks and go check again and they are all gone Maybe Pine leaves are different?
Old 02-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

DK

Getting on the roof isn't my favorite thing to do. DW gives me a fit when I do. Not too far down the road I won't want to get up there and probably shouldn't. But I'm always pleased with the results.

I REALLY like your suggestion to let a beer or two get the job done!

DW is probably right but you didn't hear it from me....

Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks again!
Any stains are merely cosmetic, they do no damage. Is losing the trees worth preventing stains on a roof no-one ever sees but you?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:46 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Its not just stains and a good bit more than cosmetics- ours also loaded heavily with gooey turpentine that was miserable to remove, sap, pine cones, and piles/drifts of pine needles that jammed in and around heat pumps trapping lots of water. They covered our entire rig. Not only did the pine debris impact our motorhome but they trapped needles in the valleys of the adjacent garage that no blowing would remove. The result on the garage- eventually was roof leaks from water dammed up in the valleys

To remove the the needles and more I had to get on the roof to physically remove the junk-- and that was not necessarily very safe. After 4 years of that I was more than happy to be rid of the pine trees.

I still have other trees in my yard that I enjoy. But they no longer damage my other property.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Depending on neighborhood you live cosmetics could be everything. We had / have neighbors that would stop by to compliment our RV. Some marveled how nice it looks and how I keep it so clean. Those with two story homes can see the roof and those without would see the crap running down the sides if I didn't maintain the roof.

By contrast about 2 years ago we had a neighbor about 6 houses down the street storing his RV. He made me nervous because it was not long before folks were all over Nextdoor calling him Cousin Eddie I doubt if he ever washed it? Without getting off topic, you can draw your own parallels of other things he may not do or maintain. His RV is gone and I don't know the circumstances.

There are other other motivations to maintain roof. One not mentioned is that per WBGO you should inspect the roof every 6 months (or was it 90 days?). When I washing and/or waxing I always look for any repairs that may be needed with the Manus bond so that is at least once / quarter.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Rascal, you hit it. It's the residual pine sap that is the most worrisome. The pine tar and sap can't be washed off with a mild soap. It takes the right cleaner and additional effort to clean.

DK, please tell me and others here how you wash your roof without being up there? I'm really picky about my cars and the bus even more so if I can keep the roof clean and not climb up there? Game changer!

The trees have to go to protect my investment.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

DK, please tell me and others here how you wash your roof without being up there? I'm really picky about my cars and the bus even more so if I can keep the roof clean and not climb up there? Game changer!

The trees have to go to protect my investment.

Thanks everyone.
I made my own scaffold. I have two 9' ladders and one long 12" wide pressure treated board from Lowes. I think 8 ft long. I mount about 6 ft above the ground. My RV is 12 tall in top of ACs. I then use regular pressure water hose and a extendable pole brush. It takes longer going up and down the ladder and moving the scafford etc. But is is very effective. Buy a high quality extendable pole brush

When I first got the RV, I use to wax using the same method, but I could not wax the center of the roof. It is how I ultimately got my nerve to freely walk the roof, because for 1st year I kind of just crawl right down the middle of the RV

Trust me, use RV Wash & Wax. A lot of stuff may work. I will not say it is the best. But while it initially seemed costly, it is very cheap as it only takes a little. It works so well, I have no desire to try anything new. I foam it on and let it sit and start to brush. If I did see a stain, i.e. bird poop, use #83 wax from Meguiars to get it up.

Weather permitting and Lord willing I will wash my RV roof again in March and special wax coating a week or two later.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Its not just stains and a good bit more than cosmetics- ours also loaded heavily with gooey turpentine that was miserable to remove, sap, pine cones, and piles/drifts of pine needles that jammed in and around heat pumps trapping lots of water. They covered our entire rig. Not only did the pine debris impact our motorhome but they trapped needles in the valleys of the adjacent garage that no blowing would remove. The result on the garage- eventually was roof leaks from water dammed up in the valleys

To remove the the needles and more I had to get on the roof to physically remove the junk-- and that was not necessarily very safe. After 4 years of that I was more than happy to be rid of the pine trees.

I still have other trees in my yard that I enjoy. But they no longer damage my other property.
Turpentine is made from pine sap and works to remove tree sap. It has no petroleum distillates to harm EPDM material either. I've used it for many years to remove tree sap drippings, just don't pour it on the roof, use a dampened cloth and a plastic scraper.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Like you I do inspect, clean out and reseal my j joints on the roof and check the self leveling joints every 60-90 days. But I'm done cleaning sap and pine needle piles off my roof. I'm planning on saving my time and energy for more fun things. The trees are gone, my roof is sparkling white, my new azalea patch and hydrangeas have added much more beauty to my side yard where the raggedy looking pines once were. My neighbor helped and removed the trees on her side at the same time.

Even better I don't have to worry anymore about limbs falling on my rig during severe storms, or even worse tornadoes like we had a few weeks ago taking whole trees through the motorhome as happened to nearby homes.

All in all it was a win win for all of us!

But to each his own!!
Old 02-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Like you I do inspect, clean out and reseal my j joints on the roof and check the self leveling joints every 60-90 days. But I'm done cleaning sap and pine needle piles off my roof. I'm planning on saving my time and energy for more fun things. The trees are gone, my roof is sparkling white, my new azalea patch and hydrangeas have added much more beauty to my side yard where the raggedy looking pines once were. My neighbor helped and removed the trees on her side at the same time.

Even better I don't have to worry anymore about limbs falling on my rig during severe storms, or even worse tornadoes like we had a few weeks ago taking whole trees through the motorhome as happened to nearby homes.

All in all it was a win win for all of us!

But to each his own!!
I think I am agreeing with you? I concluded that perhaps if I had Pines trees over my RV, I may have been willing to cut down as well. I have cut some trees completely down that had some droppings in the pool, so I know I have a limit.

Its just that in my case the Cedar Elm, it leaves, sap & twigs it has never been a factor or concern. But that is dramatic differently than trying to clean sap stains off a root. I gonna wax my RV like I do even if I parked in a indoor facility.

About the only thing I do specifically because of the trees is during the Fall, when leaves turn color and start to fall; I periodically will grab my 40v Ryobi Blower and blow the DRY LEAVES off roof especially around the awning and slide topper. I suspect that even that may be a lot easier to blow cedar leaves than pine needles?

On the flip side, all Spring & Summer I enjoy the shade as the tree blocks the Sun on the West

Tags
roof