Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Class A Cold Weather Precautions

What precautions do I need to take for cold weather conditions? My RV is sitting right now and I see that the low temps over the next week or so are right around the 32 degree mark. Are my tanks or water lines in danger?
Steve_n_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are just down the road from you in The Old Pueblo. Watching the same storm roll through.

Don't know how long you've had your rig, but we've weathered about seven winters down here and had no problems. It just doesn't dip far enough below freezing for long enough - days not hours - to affect our systems.

But if you are the belt-and-suspenders kind, drain your water heater, open your line drains and sleep easy

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Meanwhile, here in northern Minnesota we drained everything over 2 months ago.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It gets below freezing almost every night here in the California High Desert. This is our first winter with a motor home. We are not full timers yet but hope to be in 2019. What I have done on the nights with forecasted temperatures near or below freezing is to plug into the household outlet and switch on the heat pump. That seems to keep the rig temperatures in the 40's. I also open the cabinet doors to allow the heat to circulate around the water pipes.
Planning on go to Lake Havasu City next week for the hot air balloon festival.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
2017 42QD Tour

You don’t mention what model Class A you own, but the ones with AquaHot diesel heat have basement thermostat and coach thermostat we stopped in AZ and NM with 16 /20 degree nights with no issues and I set basement heat at 45/50.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

'Sitting'? Implies that there's no one in it and that you aren't' connected to electric. In that case, winterize.

Old timers say that 20F for several days might freeze your tanks if there's no daytime sunshine on your wet bay door. But if you're not living in it, might slush up the water pretty quickly. Best pour some RV antifreeze down the drains and toilet and empty the water tank and WH.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
2017 42QD Tour

My mistake
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnie Driver

Don't forget to change to the Winterized Windshield Washer Fluid. I usually run the pump dry of the Summer stuff, and then top off with the Winterized. If the Windshield Washer pump is already frozen, the engine heat will normally free it up; however, the Windshield will be ice until the defroster kicks in.
RonsVoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here in the high desert of New Mexico we have been having a cold snap with temps as low as 12 degrees in the early morning...I have the water heater on electric, the engine heater on and I set the gas furnace to 50 degrees...so far no problems...2007 Journey 34h I keep the electric plugged in to a land line.
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

OOPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
You don’t mention what model Class A you own, but the ones with AquaHot diesel heat have basement thermostat and coach thermostat we stopped in AZ and NM with 16 /20 degree nights with no issues and I set basement heat at 45/50.
Sorry about that, I thought I had that in my sidebar. We have a 38ft 2004 Adventurer.

Sorry it took so long to respond but the system would not let me log in no matter what. Had to contact system admin, it works now but let's see about later.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, cold weather