Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We know this is going to be our decision, but we've received so much good information here that we have to ask for opinions.

We're looking at a 2004 Journey 39K (3 slides) fully loaded for a decent price from a private party. It's really too big and more extras than we would order. The CCC is 2328 according to the paperwork, but the factory installed options are 802 pounds. 350 CAT.

The local dealer has a 2007 Journey 34SH that we like, with a couple extras that we would want (4-dr frig +). We like the smaller size since we would only be living in it 6-8 months. From our past 5th wheel experience, we know we would be comfortable with the floor plan and size. The CCC on this rig is 5344 with factory installed options of 118 pounds. 300 Cummins.

We started out thinking we wanted the 36'.

Our question is what offer can we truly expect the dealer to accept? 20% off MSRP, 30% off? If 30% and adding sales tax (dealer purchase), the prices are very close. Do we have to wait until the end of the year to get a better discount?

Taking a step back, regrouping, trying not to get caught up in the excitement. Opinions much appreciated.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We know this is going to be our decision, but we've received so much good information here that we have to ask for opinions.

We're looking at a 2004 Journey 39K (3 slides) fully loaded for a decent price from a private party. It's really too big and more extras than we would order. The CCC is 2328 according to the paperwork, but the factory installed options are 802 pounds. 350 CAT.

The local dealer has a 2007 Journey 34SH that we like, with a couple extras that we would want (4-dr frig +). We like the smaller size since we would only be living in it 6-8 months. From our past 5th wheel experience, we know we would be comfortable with the floor plan and size. The CCC on this rig is 5344 with factory installed options of 118 pounds. 300 Cummins.

We started out thinking we wanted the 36'.

Our question is what offer can we truly expect the dealer to accept? 20% off MSRP, 30% off? If 30% and adding sales tax (dealer purchase), the prices are very close. Do we have to wait until the end of the year to get a better discount?

Taking a step back, regrouping, trying not to get caught up in the excitement. Opinions much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Per my dealer class A diesels are not selling very well, try for 30% and hold out they might very well go for it.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
AL
Winnebago Watcher

Hey GoneFishin,

First off welcome to this great site !

Now to the question at hand you are right in the fact that it will be your rig, so only you can realy answer this question!! However I have bought my last two rigs new and when I get my next one I will look hard at 1-3 year old rigs!! Also with out seeing the floor plans of either it is tuff to answer! My other thought is that you stated you started out wanting a 36', so maybe the used 39' is better then new 34' !!! Hopes this helps some, and best of luck with what ever you chose!!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have the 34H floorplan and love it. Not a lot of difference inside between the 34 and 36' Journeys.

You should get a minimum of 25% off list, and as Garybtt stated, go for 30% if you can get it. This may be a bit of a challenge as I think the 2007's w/o the new diesel engine setup may be in short supply as opposed to a 2008 (you can no longer order a 2007 Winnie!).

Also, one thing to consider between new and used is the value of a 12 month warranty. It's probably worth a few thousand dollars. Don't forget to factor this into your calculations.

We owned a '00 Journey with the Cummins ISB. With the 300 Cummins and Allison 5 speed I would guess you'll get 1-2mpg better than the CAT C7. I'm currently getting 7.6mpg with my CAT C7. With my ISB I would get 9-10mpg with only the 4speed Allison. Power was adequate, although I like the additional power of the C7 going thru the mountains.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The warranty is a value, and the used rig may have a short time left on an extended warranty, but not sure what that covers.

I'm unsure about something Pusherman said. "The 2007's w/o the new diesel engine setup may be in short supply as opposed to a 2008." Can this be explained to me?
We need to read up on the Cummins I guess. And what is changing in 08.

I thought the 300 would get better MPG than the 350, but now we have some actual estimates to calculate. And yes, if we order one it would be a 2008. I had to ask the salesman since he did not offer that info when I asked about ordering.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The new diesel engines built after 1/2007 are mandated by law to have new particulate filters in them to collect soot. They MUST run the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel now available (50 ppm sulfer vs 500 ppm). Now here's the gotcha -- they add anywhere from $5-10K to the price of the chassis!!!

Winnie chose to buy up chassis's built prior to 1/2007 for the balance of their 2007 model year. So anything built as a 2008 model will carry a price premium for the new engine.

So when you talk to your sales person, be sure to ask about the price premium for the new engine. Another good reason why to find a 2007 model if it fits your needs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Oh yeah, I know now what I should have been thinking about. We've learned sooo much, but there is so much more. We really need to not get sidetracked by floorplans, options, etc, and keep it all in perspective.

We were only planning to look at used rigs, but the 2007 is now a possibility with the fuel change. A good possibility if the '08's will have such a premium.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The big difference between new and used is the depreciation factor and the fact that often times most of the bugs have been worked out of the used coach.
It took me two years and many trips to the dealer to get all the bugs worked outta my 03 Horizon which I bought new. Nothing major, just aggrevating things. Good Luck

Good Luck in your decision
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

First off, it is certainly a buyers market which means that 30% off MSRP should be attainable fairly easy. If the dealer balks simply walk away and try another dealer. You are in a good position if you aren't in a rush because going into fall there will even be better deals to be had.

If you can find a gently pre-owned 2005 or 2006 that would give you the most bang for the buck and as others have said there is something to be said for getting a coach with the first year bugs worked out.

I just bought a dealer demo 2006 vectra that was never titled.
The owner used to the coach for the last year and it only had 5,600 miles on it. The best part is that I got the full warranty! Check around for non-titled dealer demo's and I don't think you will go wrong.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

JT - I read your post earlier today and sounds like you got a sweet deal. Congrats.

We bowed out of the 04 Journey 39K that we were considering. Too large, both length & width, not enough CCC, the wrong interior colors, and although we could have finalized the deal today, it just was not us. I'm glad we are not acting too quickly. We do have some time, anywhere from 2 months to a year until retirement.

We made an offer to a dealer today on the internet and they called us back to let us know it was quite low. They said it may be lower than what they paid for it. They are presenting our offer to management and will get back to us. In the meantime, we are looking at other dealers (out of state) and looking for 2005 or 2006 in the 36' or 34'.

Thanks so much for the feedback.