Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Checking Tire Air Pressure - E450

I'm cross-posting here since the generic Class 'C' sub-forum doesn't look to be particularly active.

Hey All,

Okay so frustration number 1 for my new motorhome. I can't seem to check the tire pressure on the inner tire. I do have a braided extension clipped to the rim. My problem is as soon as I put pressure on the end of it by applying my tire pressure gauge, the extension starts to bend and I can't get a good seal on the gauge.

What am I doing wrong?

The outside tire with the valve pointing the wrong way is another issue entirely; though I did order a nozzle that has a 45 degree connector on the end. I'm hoping I can push it through the hole and than back it onto the stem and get a good seal.

EDIT:

Can I use these to just screw onto the end of the braid for the purpose of checking my pressure and filling up the tires? I'm thinking I could hold the long metal portion while I'm performing either maintenance, and than remove them and put them in the glove box for the next time.

Amazon.com: Pacific Dualies 18099 3 Inch Straight Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2: Automotive
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would think that the use of an extension as an aide to help check and maintain tire pressure is perfectly fine. I mean, there are some tire configurations that use these devices on a permanent basis actually mounted to the rims.

I see no problem at all with adding an extension to the stem and using it when needed.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That's what I was hoping to hear. I figure I can hold onto the neck of the extension while I push this onto the end and fill my tires:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can than also use this tool to poke into the rim hole of the outside tire and latch onto the stem w/ the 45 degree portion of the head. I hope.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I'm cross-posting here since the generic Class 'C' sub-forum doesn't look to be particularly active.

Hey All,

Okay so frustration number 1 for my new motorhome. I can't seem to check the tire pressure on the inner tire. I do have a braided extension clipped to the rim. My problem is as soon as I put pressure on the end of it by applying my tire pressure gauge, the extension starts to bend and I can't get a good seal on the gauge.

What am I doing wrong?

The outside tire with the valve pointing the wrong way is another issue entirely; though I did order a nozzle that has a 45 degree connector on the end. I'm hoping I can push it through the hole and than back it onto the stem and get a good seal.

EDIT:

Can I use these to just screw onto the end of the braid for the purpose of checking my pressure and filling up the tires? I'm thinking I could hold the long metal portion while I'm performing either maintenance, and than remove them and put them in the glove box for the next time.

Amazon.com: Pacific Dualies 18099 3 Inch Straight Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2: Automotive
I owned a Winnebago View for 4.5 years and the first thing I did was to install some new tire stem valves that would allow me to check the dually tires with very little effort. These were not extensions but one piece tire valves that were bent correctly so you could easily check/fill air in your tires.
Not sure what you paid for your new MH but sure it was many thousands of dollars...IMO don't get extensions...spend a few hundred dollars more on purchasing and installation of these new tire valves...I'll be getting a set for my new WGO Adventurer....you won't be sorry!
Look here:
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I've seen those. Its something I'll probably look at in the fall, but for now I'm just looking to adapt to what I have. We took enough shots in the finance office, and I just ordered a Autoformer so I don't fry my electronics w/ low voltage this summer when all the A/Cs are kicking. Oh, and a tire compressor; bought that too. For now I'm just looking to get them filled and maintained; I'll pay for easier later.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yep, I've seen those. Its something I'll probably look at in the fall, but for now I'm just looking to adapt to what I have. We took enough shots in the finance office, and I just ordered a Autoformer so I don't fry my electronics w/ low voltage this summer when all the A/Cs are kicking. Oh, and a tire compressor; bought that too. For now I'm just looking to get them filled and maintained; I'll pay for easier later.
I understand...you can really spend money on all of the "accessories", eh! One thing about those dually tire valves vs the extensions....they don't leak!
Here is a short video I took checking/filling my dually's on my VGO View:
Tires - YouTube
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I had those braided extensions on my Four Winds with an E450 chassis. I took them off, and the dealer replaced them with solid extensions when he discovered several other of the Four Winds on the lot with the same problem. In my experience, the braided extensions don't work.

He could get them to work on the front tires, but noted that as installed, they weren't working on the inside tires on the rear.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I know. I don't want the extensions, but since the rig is brand new I figured I'd deal w/ them until I'm done for the season. You don't have to sell me on them; I know its something I should have. I just need something to work for the next 6 months. If the straight extender on the end of the braided extender allows me to check and maintain pressure, I'm comfortable w/ screwing/unscrewing as needed.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yep, I know. I don't want the extensions, but since the rig is brand new I figured I'd deal w/ them until I'm done for the season. You don't have to sell me on them; I know its something I should have. I just need something to work for the next 6 months. If the straight extender on the end of the braided extender allows me to check and maintain pressure, I'm comfortable w/ screwing/unscrewing as needed.
Sounds like a good plan!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

FWIW it worked.

Also, I called Winnebago and Ford - both refused to do anything about it. So like so many others have discovered, it is what it is.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I had a 2008 Cambria and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to keep the tires filled. Found the braided extensions leaked. Added a TPMS and found the tranducers also leaked and were a PIA as they had to be removed to add air. Got the Dually valves from Borg and that solved the problem. I terms of your valve pointed the wrong way, if there is a nut at the base - loosen the nut and turn the valve to the desired direction and re-tighten the nut. This is commonly done on DP tires so I assume it could be done on yours.
When I moved to a Journey, I purchased a set of "Crossfires" which have a single valve per side with a visual display of pressure deviation from the selected device pressure. I would seriously consider using Crossfires on your Class C which I suspect are a better alternative to different tire valves. Price is likely comparable to the "Dually Valves" and you get the ability to easily but visually monitor pressure. If are anyway handy, you should be able to self install. While they do have braided extensions to the tire valves, I have had no problems with leakage in three years. You will find them widely used in the trucking industry. You can check them out at Dual Dynamics and decide if they would solve your issues. Always good to have another option to consider.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, extender, pressure, pressure adjustment, stem, valve