Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chassis Service While On the Road for Extended Periods in Multiple Locations

Hi All:

Me again.

Am curious as to how you get the chassis part of your rig serviced while on the road - Speaking about regular maintenance - lube, oil, filter, etc.

Just not sure how the logistics would work and guess it probably depends on where your at - will the service provider come to your campsite? Do you have to find some place, unhook, and bring it to them and wait?

Appreciate your knowledge, experience, and help!

Peace
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Most of our work is done at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC - and I highly recommend them. Rarely - we've had service done at a Freightliner Oasis Dealerships (they meet criteria to service motor homes - our experience is mixed).

There are mobile services that will do oil changes, tires, fan belts and some other stuff at your campsite, home, etc. I've seen them, talked with owners who had service done by them and are generally satisfied - but have no personal experience to share.

Let's see what others share - and recommend you post this same question over on IRV2 - certainly we own many different brands / models of coaches but chassis PM is remarkably similar and you'll get a greater volume of responses and experiences.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not familiar with that year/model so is it gas or diesel? Big differences in getting services and my experience will vary form yours due to clocation.

For our service, we often did not need any on the road as we looked ahead on milage and such and did things in advance if we saw we wereneeding and oil chage soon. We found it easy to do things where we knew where to go and how to get in the drive!

But for us, the service on gas engines was not a big problem even when we went for extended stays or long trips. Part of it is knowing how to ask for help and find out who in the area does that sort of thing we wanted. On the shorter RV, we often just went with Wal-mart, etc if we found one with a high door to get in and a pit to go under for simple like oil.
If we did not find that handy, we looked for the smaller places where a guy might just grab his creeper and an oil pan and slide under in the parking lot!

On our long trips we never planned to be in a hurry, so just hanging out shopping or just setting in the RV while they got to us worked for us.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not familiar with that year/model so is it gas or diesel?.
Richard, the Adventurer is Winnebago’s top of the line gas motorhome, built on the Ford F53 chassis. Which nowadays is a big V8 powered chassis with a 6-speed transmission. Oil changes (every 8,000 mi) are about the only regular maintenance item until 30,000 miles, if I recall correctly. And those can be done at any place that can accommodate a Class A motorhome. A few Commercial Ford Truck service centers will work on RVs, but it can be very tough finding one.

I take my Adventurer to one of two places for oil changes… an independent RV repair shop if I happen to need other work done and an Auto Repair Shop that happens to have a truck service bay. They both do the oil change outside just sliding under the coach. Depending on where you are there are some oil change businesses that will come to you.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard, the Adventurer is Winnebago’s top of the line gas motorhome, built on the Ford F53 chassis. Which nowadays is a big V8 powered chassis with a 6-speed transmission. Oil changes (every 8,000 mi) are about the only regular maintenance item until 30,000 miles, if I recall correctly. And those can be done at any place that can accommodate a Class A motorhome. A few Commercial Ford Truck service centers will work on RVs, but it can be very tough finding one.

I take my Adventurer to one of two places for oil changes… an independent RV repair shop if I happen to need other work done and an Auto Repair Shop that happens to have a truck service bay. They both do the oil change outside just sliding under the coach. Depending on where you are there are some oil change businesses that will come to you.
When we had the bigger unit, we lived where things were less "upscale" and the old boys who did the work were not at all concerned about just doing the work in the parking lot!
In the Austin area, we found more who said no, just because they have way too much business to even look at things they don't like.
I finally just asked around and found the little shop who did my car things was fine with the parkinglot if I would bring it in and stay while they did it, so that I didn't tie up their whole lot!
It worked fine to just call and ask if it was a good time and drive down and be done in about 30-40 minutes so I could clear the lot! They usually got it done about as quick as it took to pay for it! Wal-mart also had a big bay door to fit but it took longer as they always had a line waiting.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to you both!

Creativepart- you are my spirit guide!

Sounds like it might look like me checking in with the folks in the office of the campground we are at when we are starting to near the next service milestone and go from there.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm keeping my motorhome in Palm Springs. I had the same thought when I got there last year. It turns out that three mobile independents can be found on site in the resort (sometimes all three on the same day). I asked around, and all three are extremely reliable and competitive. They seem not to be afraid of fairly complex tasks. I think it's probably a function of RV density in any given area.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good to know - we'll be in the Coachella Valley the month of December and that timing might work out for us for a first service

Tags
cat, chassis, service