Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Changing over Windshield Wiper style

Hi everyone the two pictures show the respective front ends of my buddy John's unit and our unit.

I was hoping to be able to install a wiper system like John's 1990 into our 1994. I have to duck to see out the window when I am driving in a heavy rainstorm and out here in the rainforest it knows how to rain and rain hard during the winter months. Any and all help gratefully appreciated.

The 1990 unit is on the left.
Attached Images

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to ramblerman
I have switched wiper systems on many an antique car and I CAN ONLY GIVE ADVICE THAT I have learned from that as some may apply to your proposed project.

First, measure the distance between both posts where the wiper arms attach and pivot. If the distance is the same you my be able to get a Compete system from a salvage yard and swap it over. You will need everything. The arms, the motor and the linkage under the hood also. Check both units to see if it will be easy enough to mount from one to the other. Check things like wires, plugs etc. to see what else you might need.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

I think that I may have to move the pivot locations and that is what is troubling me. John's unit has a full window sweep and ours just gets a bit of the lower corner of the window. Strange design flaw in an otherwise great unit.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

put both mh by each other. open both hoods. measure you friends wiper motor layout. with the same lay out on yours will it clear things. if not can you move everything to mount his setup? if it will try to find complete system from a dismantle fabricate what you need and enjoy. for those of you that say it won't work. people are puting 8.3 cummins in pickups.. there's a 5.9 cummins in a corvette. v8 chevys in vegas. v8s in corvairs. so how bad do you want it. if you don't have the talent find a good custom car shop.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Have you considered a longer blade? It appears that you might have a few inches to play with.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Have you considered a longer blade? It appears that you might have a few inches to play with.
The blade will cross over the centre divider if I extend it and trying to move the arm on the pivot point proves to be a pain as the pivot point has a slotted piece which only allows for a single placement position. I can't get my fat head in through the opening to get to see if the back of the pivot point can be moved up to allow for a longer blade.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What about installing a Pantograph style of Wiper arm on the Drivers side?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
What about installing a Pantograph style of Wiper arm on the Drivers side?
DH was thinking the same thing when we read this thread yesterday. He didn't want me to post because he said he wanted to think about to see if it would work without changing the position of the wiper arm mounting shaft. If a pantograph were used, the wiper blade length could be increased so you wouldn't have to duck down to view the cleared area of the windshield.

Example of the more effective sweep using a pantographic arm as opposed to a traditional arm:

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #9

I thought for pantograph arms to work the wiper pivot had to be centered on the windshield. My wiper pivots are offset to one side (same) for both windows.

Am I wrong?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I thought for pantograph arms to work the wiper pivot had to be centered on the windshield. My wiper pivots are offset to one side (same) for both windows.

Am I wrong?
I think you are right. That's why we hesitated to post yesterday. DH thinks you'd have to relocate the wiper shaft to the center of the windshield in order for it to effectively work. He thinks the stops or the amount the shaft is allowed to pivot would preclude the arm from making the necessary swipe for a pantograph to work when the shafts are offset they way they are on your rig.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

How about using an adjustable tip wiper arm that would allow you to then put a longer blade on without allowing it to cross over the center divider?

Roca Wipers Systems | To Trust and Count On

Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
How about using an adjustable tip wiper arm that would allow you to then put a longer blade on without allowing it to cross over the center divider?

Roca Wipers Systems | To Trust and Count On

I think I already have those on my coach. I took these the other day trying to get the Terrorist Twins sitting in the "On The Road Again" positions when we travel, needless to say not successfully
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	29468