Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Changing Cat C7 Air Filter

I am trying to change my Air Filter on my Cat C7 equipped Meridian. It's the first time I've done it myself. My question is: Once I have taken the hoses off and loosened the band clamps, how do I get the filter out of the clamps as they are only loose enough to allow the filter to move, but not loose enough to slide the filter through? Do I have to unbolt the clamps from the frame of the coach?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you have thr Farr Eco filter, crosses to Fleetguard AH1197 or Baldwin PA3493, I'll tell you my recommendation. I just changed the air filter on our Journey which is probably configured exactly the same as yours. Remove the 90 degree inlet hose and the piece attached to it back to the fiberglass duct. You've loosened the two clamps and probably pulled the inlet piece on the engine side of the filter. Bite the bullet and remove the clamp hardware and get it out of the way. This will give you sufficient room to slide the filter housing to the rear and wiggle it down and out. Reverse the procedure for installation. Completely removing the clamp hardware gives you very comfortable working room.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Its been a while since I did mine (I am due to replace it next spring however), but I recall that the two band clamps that go around the air cleaner cylinder have spring releases up near the top, back side (some what hard to see and get to with the air cleaner in place), unhook each one and each band clamp should completely unhook. It may be some what rusted or road weathered tight, but should unhook with some effort. If they do not unhook, when sprung in the open position they should give you more room to maneuver in that space. It always seemed to take some effort to get the old one out and the new one in place as there is very little room to work with in that area. Also helps to have a cold muffler as well given its proxemity. I also found it easier to reassemble the elbows, clamps, and tubes, etc. if I spayed a bit of lubricant on them prior to reassembly.

In looking at my Freightliner parts diagrams, it does not show the unhooking nature of the clamps, but I do not recall ever unbolting the band clamps from the chassis when changing the air filter.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHTRAINS View Post

In looking at my Freightliner parts diagrams, it does not show the unhooking nature of the clamps, but I do not recall ever unbolting the band clamps from the chassis when changing the air filter.
I've changed mine twice without removing the band clamp hardware. It can be done but it is a real b***h to get the filter free from the clamps. Completely removing the clamp hardware (four 9/16 nuts and bolts) gives you a lot more room to work.
US Gear UBS
Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have replaced my air filter with just removing the bans however it was a very difficult task. The last time I removed the elbow and it was a much easier job. Mine can be done either way but in the future I will remove the elbow.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

i crawled under the motor home today to check on my filter mounting system and my setup does in fact have a releasable clamp on each of the two bands holding the air filter to the chassis. So no unbolting the bands from the frame mounting bracket in my case.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Well, my bands did not separate, so I unbolted them from the frame. The air filter slides easily now but there's no room to remove it or install a new one. I think I have to remove the muffler supports now...? I wish I'd have just taken the coach to Freightliner now, but it's too late.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have always removed the intake air filter piping from the 90 degree elbow coming down from the roof all the way to the air filter itself. It has never been a fun job.

i feel your pain, last time I let the Freightliner dealer do it and it took him about an hour to do the whole thing. (I was also having some other work performed at that time as well). I always need a very cold beer when completed to help recover from the ordeal.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Were you able to unsnap the band clamps and loosen them from the filter canister? They do not open up all the way or come off but they do open so you can bend the engine side portion back a bit. That allows you to slide the filter back and forth a bit. With the clamps released from the filter and unbolted from the big metal angle mounting bracket, you should be able to slide them forward and off the filter. Then slide the filter to the rear and maneuver it so you can drop it down the opening where the 90 degree rubber hose and tube were.

Keep us updated on your progress.
US Gear UBS
Old 08-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Were you able to unsnap the band clamps and loosen them from the filter canister? They do not open up all the way or come off but they do open so you can bend the engine side portion back a bit. That allows you to slide the filter back and forth a bit. With the clamps released from the filter and unbolted from the big metal angle mounting bracket, you should be able to slide them forward and off the filter. Then slide the filter to the rear and maneuver it so you can drop it down the opening where the 90 degree rubber hose and tube were.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Sorry about the double post.
US Gear UBS
Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I got it removed by unbolting the clamps and unbolting the tailpipe hanger/brace. Went down and bought a new one at Freightliner for $85.00 plus tax. The old one wasn't that dirty, but it had been 3 1/2 years since it was replaced. I drive through a lot of dirty, dusty roads at times, so I figured it would be filthy. Oh well, it's money well spent anyhow. I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Finally finished...! Got the new one back in place, re-bolted and retightened all the bands, trying my damndest not to forget anything. That's a lot of work for a 73 year old! Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Not sure if I'll ever do it again, but it was interesting. I always say you've got to do everything at least once by yourself...otherwise, how'r you gonna know if someone is screwing you on price...?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info, I need to work on replacing the air filter on my journey and was going to ask for some tips but got enough to hopefully get the job done

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I know this is an old thread, but just for future reference, this blog of a Journey (twin of the Meridian) owner has some good pictures, etc. on changing the engine air filter: R Sanity RV Adventures: Replacing The Air Filter

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat