Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Change out of Air Filter

I have a 2016 Vista LX with the V-10. How the heck do I get the air filter housing apart to change out the air filter? Took the three clips off of the front but nothing moves, cannot raise it up more than about half an inch. Do not find any clips on the back?
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

May be just a simple case of it sticks together? Mine seems to be tough to get off as well but prying carefully around the edges breaks the seal. I think it might help to add some petroleum jelly on the seal next time I get it apart
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

ON mine you unbuckle the front clips. lift slightly then push backwards. There are some tabs on the back of the lower housing that catch the upper housing that you have to get clear of to be able to lift to get the filter out.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the input. I will go out tomorrow and loosen up the sides a bit and then give it a gentle whack with my no bounce. I tried doing it by hand and could not move it..
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Thank you for the input. I will go out tomorrow and loosen up the sides a bit and then give it a gentle whack with my no bounce. I tried doing it by hand and could not move it..
Good luck. I replaced ours with a K&N filter. It took me over an hour. Should have taken 5 minutes. The way that’s packed all in together, looked like only way to get it off was to remove the windshield wiper motor.
Finally, I removed where it exists, and was able to get it off.

Yes, clips on the front, tabs in the back, but we need clearance to get the lid off engineers...jeez.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:32 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

This is tough to do unless you know the trick. I struggled with that thing.

You Tube is your friend - it unhooks by pushing the top half to the rear.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine works the same as in the video that DanHannah linked to, which is probably the same one I watched first time I tried to change the air filter on mine. After messing with it for far too long I resorted to a Youtube search. It kind of makes you feel a bit dense, you know that it CAN'T be that hard to open the case for an air filter.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post

Cheers
Perfect! Not sure I'd have put that filter back in myself, but perfect.

I will say that not part of this conversation but something for everyone to conisder (I've not done it yet) is to make an extension for the intake to the air filter inlet snorkel. This past summer we drove through Lake Erie (really, it was so high it was flowing across Rt-20 out near Toledo) and the water came up from the tires just enough to get the filter material wet. I had to pull over (once we cleared the lake) and remove it then navigate to the nearest auto parts store to get a replacement. I now carry a spare. I've heard that in driving rain this same thing can happen.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Not an easy process. I think that my Class C has better access and it's still very difficult. The Ford dealer's mechanic messed up my intake casing really bad and is now half broken. I may be installing an after market intake in the near future. I'm personally not happy on how this unit disassembles. I've been working on cars/trucks for over 50 years and have not seen anything as poorly designed as this.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Vista 27PE

Air Filter

2018 Vista is no better. After unlatching all the latches and finding that the air filter housing lid could not be lifted off enough to get the filter out without excessive force on the air snorkel (Tube) from the air cleaner to the engine I just went inside, removed the engine cover and removed the tube from the engine. That made it easier to get the filter out. Dumb way to have to do it but that’s what I had to do to prevent break something.
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post

Cheers
Yeah, that didn’t work on my Intent. There was no clearance to even lift up the top AT ALL. it was too packed in there by Winnebago.

Remember, that video is the correct way to do it, IF, you can get it raised up. Depends on how Winnebago designed YOUR model...