Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Central vacuum system

Hi everyone,
I've got a new Vista 35F and want to install a central vacuum system into it. Has anyone done that and specifically where can it be installed?

And do you have any pros or cons on the different systems out there?
Bill
wrevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can't help with your install location. However, our Dirt Devil has performed flawlessly for almost three years and has a lot of attachments and suction.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dirt devils are decent. Try to find a place where you have 120VAC power, and are able to drill a hole to the interior of your RV and run control wires. Best would be a place where you could also install the floor dust bin.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am sure that there are absolutely great reasons for a central vacuum system -- I just have not experienced any of them!

• Limited sucking power
• Dog hair clogs the plumbing – tends to be a problem in the hard-to-reach spots as the main hose works its way underneath and back to the motor/filter unit
• Ours did not have a motorized beater brush head – would be better if it had one
• No HEPA filter

We use a small-format upright vacuum now (has HEPA filter, too).

My thoughts, \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I love central vacs for stick and brick. Have had them in all 4 homes that we have owned since 1972. You probably don't need a large, high capacity unit like the (expensive) home units. I would consider a decent shop vac, which would be smaller and cheaper, and easily adaptable.

We considered on for our MH, but since we wanted a "Power Head" for doing the carpet, the total price would be over $800. We just use a small, cheap, lightweight upright along with a hand held Dirt Devil. Works fine for the small area inside a MH, and is easy to use for the toad also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One word--storage. You only have to store the attachments. Since your are expelling the air to the outside/basement and not recircul-ing--who needs a hepa filter--duh. Most installs are in the center of coach, slide clearance can be a problem, access under frig or cabinet may be an option. If you like power tools, bring/borrow the atchmts from yours or a friends stick house, or buy them separately. If you never had a central vac in your stick house, you probably dont see the need in an RV. Install might be a "blue job" but using one still sounds like a "pink job" to me [smile]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We love our Dirt Devil, which was installed by factory. However, we do not use the attachments because, for us, they are too much of a nuisance.

Instead, we use a broom to sweep dirt towards the floor mounted suction fixture. So, that might be a consideration for where you mount your fixtures in the interior area.

In the first picture, there are two fixtures for the Dirt Devil. The only one we use is 2 by 8 inches. With your foot, you can activate vacuum and it will suck in sweepings.

For all other vacuum needs, we prefer a 120VAC handheld vacuum. We have a nice little storage area build by factory for the handheld vacuum, which is shown in the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1118141748.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	79419   Click image for larger version

Name:	1118141752.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	79420  

drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sucking power=A+. In fact far better than most s/b bought at big big box stores. My experience w/dirt devil.
Dog hair clogs the plumbing? We travel with two fur balls. Goes right into the bag never an issue! The motor is not effected.
The dirt devil has a motorized head and all the attachments of any vac.
In our coach, waste is exhausted into a lower small service bay. No need for the Hepa. Plus easy to remove and replace collection bag.
Just saying, our experience is positive, all extensions are very easily stored, big advantage, ease of use, personally if purchasing again this would be an item on my must have list. Makes life with furry friends EASY and once again stores out of the way!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I love, love my central Dirt Devil! Yes, the suction is less than your high end S&B unit but when traveling it more than serves it's purpose. When home I occasionally bring out my S&B upright and do a deeper cleaning with the rotating bristles ....especially after a trip to the beach!

Without a doubt this is a must have for me in any future units that we purchase.

Good luck,

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Clay X2, we love our Dirt Devil system, some people who have complained about the suction power need to check the actual vacuum bag area of the system. For some odd reason they stick the extra bags in there and if you don't take them out it restricts the suction. Ours picksup better than our in home vacuum, and is very easy to use, the attachments are great and the flex tube extends to every part of our MH.

Ours was already installed when we bought our MH. The actual motor part is mounted in one of the storage bays, closest to the center of the MH. Then you would have to drill a hole to accomodate the suction on/off connection, which wouldn't be too difficult. Just make sure that where you mount the motor part in the bay is close to where you want to put the inside fitting. It will be well worth the purchase/work once you get it done.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

We keep the hoses and attachments in an ouside storage box. I use the central vac to vac out the outside storage boxes on the passengers side. We use a shark upright inside and find it much easier to use. The shark is narrow enough to get into small spaces.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We find the Long (25') hose too much to handle, seems it's always in the way while in-use. Plenty of suction. Just as noisy as our Dirt devil canister W/ power head, which the built-in does not have. The built-in (under frig) exhausts into the compartment under the frig, which adds motor heat, not a good placement idea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like there have been improvements in the DirtDevil system since 2005. Mine does not have some of the features that you are describing. Just another reason to upgrade, huh? LOL! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote