Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I wanted to query the forum and ask if anyone has had experinece in replacing the nasty flourescent ceiling lights in most of the Winnebagos. I have a 2003 Adventurer 35U that has 3 banks of flourescent tube lights in the main living area and I absoltely despise them and rarely if ever turn them on.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences they might want to share on replacing these light fixtures with other incandescent or halogen fixtures?
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I wanted to query the forum and ask if anyone has had experinece in replacing the nasty flourescent ceiling lights in most of the Winnebagos. I have a 2003 Adventurer 35U that has 3 banks of flourescent tube lights in the main living area and I absoltely despise them and rarely if ever turn them on.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences they might want to share on replacing these light fixtures with other incandescent or halogen fixtures?
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

They might not have the same quality light as the others,but flourescents draws a lot less current and are much kinder to your batteries and give more light for the watts.
I don't think you would have a problem replacing them as long as you could find a fixture the same shape. Good Luck,,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you rarely turn them on, maybe you don't need them and changing out wouldn't be worth the trouble/expense.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They are not a problem to replace. You can send them to me when you remove them so I can replace my incandescent lights.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Like the others said, replacing them would not be difficult if you can find a light with the same physical size cutout requirements.

I did temporarily remove one of ours when the ballast went bad and I needed to repair it. Other than that, we actually like the flourescent lights as they produce a lot of light for very little power and also produce very little heat.

I'd be a little cautious with a halagon replacement since the heat generated might effect the ceiling insulation.

Matt, As a side note, I'm probably only 15-20 minutes from you since I live just South of Butler. Hope to run into you sometime.

Joe
Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt1616:

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences they might want to share on replacing these light fixtures with other incandescent or halogen fixtures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,

You won't find anything better to produce the same amount of light, produce as little heat or draw as little current. Most people who come into my 95 Vectra are in awe that there are five of those really nice and very expensive 12 volt flourescent lights as factory equipment in the coach.

If you really can't stand them you would really have to search for something more appropriate that fits your personal taste. Halogen would be the last resort due to the extreme temperatures involved and associated risk of fire.

Consider staining some oak or maple panels to match the interior of your coach and sized to cover the depression left by the old lights and then install a decorative 12 volt incandescent fixture on the panel.

You might even try Lowes or Home Depot to find the lamp housing that appeals to you and then replace the 110 volt lamp sockets with 12 volt lamp sockets.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Is it the fixtures or the light they produce that you don't like. I replaced all of the tubes w/warm white tubes from GE. We like them much better now.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If it is just the blue white light you do not like. I don't like it either. I replaced my tubes with warm/sunlight type tube. They make a real difference. Found mine at Lowe's.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #10

I would like to replace mine also, but not for the lite they cast. The fixture covers keep falling off!!! I finally placed clear packing tape strips at each end to hold the plastic cover on. Is there a "better" flouresent that keeps their plastic cover on better?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

This is just a thought. I have a 01 Itasca and do not have the problem. I wonder if you were to put a spot of hot glue on each corner, if that would keep it in place. It is clear as glass and comes off quite easilyl. Sure beats buying new fixtures.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">covers keep falling off!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We've found a flourescent fixture cover on the floor 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years. The storage compartment lights (intermitent working) & covers (falling off) are a bigger problem for us...