Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Ceiling Headliner Water Stain Removal

I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U that had some pretty dark water stains on the fabric ceiling headliner due to a skylight leak.

After trying several cleaners, including straight bleach, the most effective and easiest to apply, cleaner we found was Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner + Bleach:

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Clean-...0009P68MK?th=1

We just sprayed it on and let it dry. It's not perfect, maybe 80% - 100% improvement depending on how badly it was stained. By not having to scrub it, the borders between cleaned and uncleaned areas are subtle so the cleaned areas don't stand out.

Although it worked well for us, as with any new cleaner, try it in an inconspicuous spot first.

I don't know why Winnebago chose this material for a headliner, I'd much prefer a washable, hard surface ceiling.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Bob. I have one in the RF corner of my (new) 2002 Winne Sightseer 27. It would be a strange place to hang a painting.

There was a thread going on this subject; I would have to dig to find the link. It seems there are some obvious topics (maybe too many - I'm new) that deserve a sticky.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Try starting with a bottled hydrogen peroxide (3 percent), the kind dentists suggest you use to clean your mouth with. Put it in a spray bottle and then spray it on (straight, don't mix). Oxyclean or equivalent also can be used, as it contains a dry form of hydrogen peroxide. After you've used that, then go for the plain white vinegar. Spray it on also, in a spray bottle. These two substances combined have the germ/mold-killing power of bleach without the bleach.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jesse, You hit a nerve with hydrogen peroxide. One of the first things I looked at to refresh on this 16yr old RV was yellowing plastics - Yeech. There was a Youtube RV video about this referring to a fellow who does old computer restorations. (below) He introduced a UV lamp whereas the RV guy simply set his parts outside using the Sun as a UV source. ...'a little difficult to get the headliner outside.

I got a 20w lamp from Amazon 'Afanty 20W UV Floodlight, 21x1W 395nm LED UV Blacklight' for $27. Before I ruin my headliner blasting it with UV. I'll mask off a good section in the rear and give it 24hrs without chemicals to make sure UV does not induce an error vs. fix one.

Thanks for bringing peroxide to the headliner.

Jim
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You might try "sd 20 made by spartan ind. The only place I know to get it is either ebay or a marine stoe. It is the best cleaner out there and doesn't leave a stain. I buy it by the case and sell some to friends etc.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Billy, It sounds great for a smooth surface like glass, Stainless, etc. As a curious sort (thank you internet!) I looked up the product's MSDS. It's about 95% water with the active ingredient an alcohol. Here's part of another chemical report about it.

"C10-C16 alcohol ethoxylate is a surfactant that breaks the surface tension of water, allowing things to become clean. It can be found in dozens of personal care products such as baby wipes, exfoliants, laundry detergent, dish soap, acne treatment and other products." That 'laurel sulfate' you see in nearly every soap or shampoo seems to be related.

Given they need so little of it in their mix to be effective - it would be interesting to see if it is available in a more concentrated form so you can make-your-own.

Jim
Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bob, I removed/erased/bleached (?) my ceiling stain. 'Used 40% Hydrogen Peroxide sold by Sally Beauty Supply. (1gal. was ~$13) and a 20W UV lamp purchased from Amazon. Took a couple of days - had to keep it wet (difficult) ...and do not know if the UV lamp really helped (or was a major reason) because I did not have a second stain to test. Cheers.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	683.9 KB
ID:	169381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	169382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	169383  
Old 04-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

That looks consistent with the results I achieved with the Clorox Cleaner. I have one spot I need to go over again.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good to hear there's more than one way. The only proviso about 'bleach' is that 'it keeps working'. I found a reference.

"Bleach is an amazingly cheap and effective disinfectant and clothes’ brightener, and it also comes in handy when stripping and cleaning wood. But bleach is an extremely corrosive substance, capable of damaging fabrics, carpets, and even hard surfaces such as stainless steel. In order to keep it from damaging your items, you need to take care to neutralize bleach’s effects."

My headliner is fussy stuff on a thin layer of ply or hardboard. I suspect it could become a bald, clean spot had I used bleach. ...to that, I better look into neutralizing HP.

Jim

Tags
ceiling, removal, water