Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Ceiling fan, screwed it up, need new one!

Well Ladies and Gents,
In my quest to evaluate the reason for all the noise in our ceiling fan in our '04 Itasca Horizon, I disassembled it, completely. I mean I took it down to the armature and bearings. Well, all was going OK and was spinning the armature in my hands, listening to the bearings etc while spinning it. The bearings did have some tiny erratic "rumbling" here and there. The noise was very faint nut, none the less, it was there.

But, there's also the noise made by the brushes against the armature. So, combined, it was a noisy fan. Well, not knowing I did it, while holding the bearings and attempting to spin that armature, I accidentally broke one of the tiny winding wires that travels from the outside to the center of the armature where the brushes rub on. Well, I ended up braking a couple more of them. It still works but really bad.

So, I'm in the market for a completely new ceiling fan. C/W has them, and there's a few hundred on ebay. It appears that some of them are or look like an exact replacement. But, I'd sure like a better quality one than what was in there originally. Anyone got any suggestions?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Back in high school (some 50 years ago) I used to work in a motor rewind shop. Did ruin a few rewind jobs myself trying to put the insulation in between the armature and windings.
I'm assuming your fan is a 12 volt unit as the windings on a 120 are pretty stout and would be hard to break!
I installed my own fan since Newmar refused to put one in our rig due to the slideout and head clearance. I used a 120 volt hallway low clearance fan. Only 30" diam and 6 blades with lots of cant to them. Might be an alternate for you.
Do have to either be hooked to shore power or have the inverter on, not a problem for us as we need the inverter on for the ice maker or TV's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I got mine at the Winnebago Factory Store when I was in Forest City, IA. Quality wise I am sure it is pretty close to what you had. Might start looking there if you have a mind to.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Scott, is your fan a Fan-Tastic model....if it is, give them a call and they will replace it for free. Mine was 12 years old and I called them a month ago and they couriered me a new motor, fan blades and switches at no charge.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Scott,
I went the disassembly route as well without good results. I purchased a replacement from Winnebago hoping to get a quieter unit but it started making noise as well. I would be interested as well in a source for a quiet unit.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Back in high school (some 50 years ago) I used to work in a motor rewind shop. Did ruin a few rewind jobs myself trying to put the insulation in between the armature and windings.
I'm assuming your fan is a 12 volt unit as the windings on a 120 are pretty stout and would be hard to break!
I installed my own fan since Newmar refused to put one in our rig due to the slideout and head clearance. I used a 120 volt hallway low clearance fan. Only 30" diam and 6 blades with lots of cant to them. Might be an alternate for you.
Do have to either be hooked to shore power or have the inverter on, not a problem for us as we need the inverter on for the ice maker or TV's
Mr_D,
Well Sir, there's about a zillion nice 120V AC units out there that I'd like to install but, I'm not in favor of leaving the inverter on and or trying to figure out how to re-wire the switch to set it up for A/C. I just installed a new unit in our bedroom in the house and man, is it quiet and moves some serious air if and when needed. We dry camp for about 50-75% of the time and while I've just installed (4) brand new Costco 6V G/C batteries and, our inverter seems to function perfectly, I don't think I'd want to use that much battery power just for the fan. Good suggestion though, thanks a heap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
I got mine at the Winnebago Factory Store when I was in Forest City, IA. Quality wise I am sure it is pretty close to what you had. Might start looking there if you have a mind to.

Don
Don,
Well, after telling the War Department that my puppy paws just screwed up a $140.00 ceiling fan, we both got online and started looking for new ones. It appears there's multiple sources for them. Even Camping World has them. In fact, they have what appears to the the exact replacement for ours, only they have two. One is a 36" and one is a 42". Ours presently is the 36" but, I might spring for the 42" because when I saw they had a larger one, I immediately went out and measured for clearance of the larger radius of the blades and it will work just fine.

There's a ton on ebay too. So, I think we'll take in all the answers here and, find, hopefully a nicer one of better quality. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Scott, is your fan a Fan-Tastic model....if it is, give them a call and they will replace it for free. Mine was 12 years old and I called them a month ago and they couriered me a new motor, fan blades and switches at no charge.
Corvettec3,
I cannot see a name or brand/model on ours what so ever. It does however look identical to this one:
36" 12V Ceiling Fan - Product - Camping World

So, is it that one, who knows. Itasca put it in there and I'll dig around on the build sheet or other paperwork I have to see if I can get more info on the mfgr of it. I'm not one for trying to finagle a new fan or part when it was "I" who broke it, not that you were or are implying I do something like that. You can definitely tell some one's been in there monkeying around. So, I'll eat my mistake and fork out for a new one. I just want as nice of one that I can get for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Scott,
I went the disassembly route as well without good results. I purchased a replacement from Winnebago hoping to get a quieter unit but it started making noise as well. I would be interested as well in a source for a quiet unit.
Harry B,
Well Sir, I think that I recall reading other threads on this subject and and we're certainly not the only ones in this boat. You know, in the auto industry, 12V motors have been made for decades and for the most part, they've been fairly quiet. What's up with these fans? I mean can't they make a "brush-less" motor and put a good set of bearings in it? House ceiling fans are incredibly quiet. Why can't the RV industry get a clue?

Now, just wondering do any of the real "high end" rigs have 12V ceiling fans? And, do THEY make noise in NEWELLS, PREVOST'S, COUNTRY COACHES' AND MORE??????? Or do those folks have the same issues?
Scott
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just make sure you check clearances with all bedroom slides in!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm going to remove the ceiling fan and put in a Fantastic fan to improve circulation in the bedroom.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. I'm going to remove the ceiling fan and put in a Fantastic fan to improve circulation in the bedroom.
OldChief,
Are you talking about removing the four bladed ceiling fan and installing a vent, and fantastic vent fan in it's place?
Scott
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have that same fan & it also looks just like the one show at CampingWorld. Mine has been replaced once under warranty. It is a sorry fan & it doesn't move much air.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mr_D,
Well Sir, there's about a zillion nice 120V AC units out there that I'd like to install but, I'm not in favor of leaving the inverter on and or trying to figure out how to re-wire the switch to set it up for A/C. I just installed a new unit in our bedroom in the house and man, is it quiet and moves some serious air if and when needed. We dry camp for about 50-75% of the time and while I've just installed (4) brand new Costco 6V G/C batteries and, our inverter seems to function perfectly, I don't think I'd want to use that much battery power just for the fan. Good suggestion though, thanks a heap.
We have four less than two month old Interstate 6V U-2200 replacements. The ceiling fan doesn't seem to take much juice to run it. We also have two Fantastic roof vents and an Ultra breeze as well as several small portable ones. No problem leaving the inverter on all the time, have done it for years with several rigs. Wiring wasn't a problem, just ran the wires through the roof into an overhead cabinet, then to the TV plug in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I'm going to replace the noisy ceiling fan with a Fantastic with a vent cover. Much quieter and they have a model that is reversible and remote controlled. It will cost several hundred dollars but should cool the bedroom significantly.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to replace the noisy ceiling fan with a Fantastic with a vent cover. Much quieter and they have a model that is reversible and remote controlled. It will cost several hundred dollars but should cool the bedroom significantly.
OldChief,
Roger that Sir. The D/W and I discussed that and as we see it, the problems with doing what you're planning on would be:

1. Sun in all day long and early morning resulting in added heat and way too much light
2. Possible too much light at night due to parking near campground lighting and or parking lot lights if you're in a quick stop over for some sleep at say, a Walmart etc.
3. You could not keep it open during any wet weather and if it's humid outside and you need the A/C on and circulating air, that unit might not work as planned.

Now, this is all as we see it. I'm sure you've taken all that into consideration. If so, I hope you are satisfied with the project when completed. Let me (and or the whole forum) know how it turns out. There might be some out there that are thinking along the same lines as you. Good luck.
Scott
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I will put a Maxxair cover on it like my other two have. The dark one limits light, keeps out all rain and has a shade that pulls across it if light presents a problem though it (shade) would block ventilation.

I'll let the forum know how it turns out. Get home on May 15th and have lots to do since we've been gone since early November.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I will put a Maxxair cover on it like my other two have. The dark one limits light, keeps out all rain and has a shade that pulls across it if light presents a problem though it (shade) would block ventilation.

I'll let the forum know how it turns out. Get home on May 15th and have lots to do since we've been gone since early November.
OldChief7155,
Roger that Sir, I'll be interested in the process of the install.
Scott
Old 05-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
OldChief,
Roger that Sir. The D/W and I discussed that and as we see it, the problems with doing what you're planning on would be:

1. Sun in all day long and early morning resulting in added heat and way too much light
2. Possible too much light at night due to parking near campground lighting and or parking lot lights if you're in a quick stop over for some sleep at say, a Walmart etc.
3. You could not keep it open during any wet weather and if it's humid outside and you need the A/C on and circulating air, that unit might not work as planned.

Now, this is all as we see it. I'm sure you've taken all that into consideration. If so, I hope you are satisfied with the project when completed. Let me (and or the whole forum) know how it turns out. There might be some out there that are thinking along the same lines as you. Good luck.
Scott
I use a cheap small portable 120V fan. Medium to high speed in daytime, low speed at night when sleeping. Such fans are $15 to $25 at WalMart, Target, etc. Also open a bedroom window a bit and turn ceiling vent fan(s) on in other coach location(s). Portable fan aimed at hot wall and/or ceiling keeps air moving and ceiling vent fans exhaust hot air.
Jim4Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4Mina View Post
I use a cheap small portable 120V fan. Medium to high speed in daytime, low speed at night when sleeping. Such fans are $15 to $25 at WalMart, Target, etc. Also open a bedroom window a bit and turn ceiling vent fan(s) on in other coach location(s). Portable fan aimed at hot wall and/or ceiling keeps air moving and ceiling vent fans exhaust hot air.
X2

I finally scratched the "ceiling fan" idea off of my project list because the two solutions you mention work so well for us.

DW is prone to... well, "personal summers" at a moments notice and has got to have options for moving air. We found that if we open our side bedroom windows (one by each of our heads) and turn on our Fantastic Fan in the bathroom. We close the bathroom door but the negative pressure the fan creates still pulls plenty of air in through the windows and under the bathroom door.

I also added a flip down electric fan just above the head of the bed and this has gotten a lot of use too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I called Fantastic fan Friday as well as Winnebago.

Both said a vent fan should be an easy install. No frame, wires or a/c ducting in the way, or so Winnie says. Wires that are there go to the ceiling fan and will supply power to the Fantastic fan.

Interesting info from Fantastic. The rep there said, when I asked about dust on the fan, to cut the two wires mid way, remove the four mount bolts and remove the whole fan and motor assembly. He said the fan motor is waterproof so it can be submerged and washed. He then said to spray the whole fan; blades, motor, vent area with 303 Protectorant and it will prevent dust from sticking to it.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Remote Controlled DC CEILING FAN 12 or 24 volts One Year Warranty
BACKWOODS SOLAR.

''These ceiling fans have four blades, and come with either 40" diameter wood laminate blades and a bright brass housing, or white blades with white housing. The three speed reversible motor is operated by an infrared remote control and draws 1.2 amps on high speed; 0.75 amps on medium speed and 0.5 amps on low speed. These power draws are at 12 or 24v DC.

It is designed for surface mounting on a flat ceiling however a swivel pendant mount for pitched ceilings is available as an option. This mount includes a white, 6" downrod extension. This 1/2" downrod can easily be replaced with conduit of your choice and length purchased locally.

Unlike last years Varifan, this model is 12 or 24 volts so you must specify your voltage. And at 12v, this new model has plenty of rpms without needing to add the voltage doubling, variable speed controller that was needed with the Varifan!
A-CEILFAN 12v Oak: SALE!! $108 plus $12 shipping''

i installed this 12v 40'' fan from backwoods solar in 2007 in the bedroom.
it sometimes makes a clicking noise. when this happens, i reverse the fan for several hours. the clicking noise goes away. imho the clicking is from the motor brushes running on the commentator. the brushes apparently take a set and start clicking if the fan is run too long in either fwd or reverse.
right now the fan will operate in fwd or rev without clicking.
maybe the brushed are ''broken in''?
i am satisfied with this fan. there should be pics of my installation in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Installed my Ceiling Fan (NOT an exhaust fan) 6 years ago. Works good; 12V, mfr by JRV Products Inc; A70057BW; bought from Lichtsinn ($130); four blades; 17 3/8" from tip of blade to center nut (to clear retracted bedrm slide); Remote Cntl (IR) 3 speeds + reverse; installed in existing 12V light fixture; quiet, can't tell it's on.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan