Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Dan L and Thudman,
Sounds like you boys did well. I personnaly like the idea of a ceiling fan. Although they are not as efficient as house hold ceiling fans and don't push as much air, ours did fine for us, that is until I broke it. We also have a small verticle ocilating fan that sits on a dresser in the corner of the bedroom. We use it if and when we're plugged in. It's whatever makes one happy.

I'm presently awaiting the arrival of the new motor for ours. I'm anxious to see if it's any quieter than the original one. If not, well we'll live with it or see what else can be done. Nice picture of yours Thudman.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
The new motor for the ceiling fan arrived today via USPS and after a brief pre-run with a spare battery I had hanging around, the wife and I did a quick install. Attached the fan blades, tied in all the wires, tightened the mount screws and turned that jewel on.

Almost no noise what so ever. There is a super slight "hum" and that's it. That's expected though. I mean even residential fans can have even a tiny bit of hum. Sometimes your hearing has to be quite good to hear it though. But, as for this one, it's great. I'm incredibly happy with it. It turns out the dealer charged a bit too much for shipping and I was refunded and didn't even know it. Sounds like a pretty good company to do business with.

One things weird though. It seems to move more air if reversed that it does direct. That is, if I switch the direction to bring air up and push it towards the ceiling, we feel more air movement than if I switch it to push air directly down on the bed. Hmmmmmm

It doesn't matter anyway. We both feel it just fine, no matter what direction it's turning. So, for those that are still liking your ceiling fan, this company is great to deal with and the new motor was shipped promptly and seems to work flawless. It was a total of $60.00 to my door. Cool! Well, another project that turned out well. On to others.
Scott
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
The new motor for the ceiling fan arrived today via USPS and after a brief pre-run with a spare battery I had hanging around, the wife and I did a quick install. Attached the fan blades, tied in all the wires, tightened the mount screws and turned that jewel on.

Almost no noise what so ever. There is a super slight "hum" and that's it. That's expected though. I mean even residential fans can have even a tiny bit of hum. Sometimes your hearing has to be quite good to hear it though. But, as for this one, it's great. I'm incredibly happy with it. It turns out the dealer charged a bit too much for shipping and I was refunded and didn't even know it. Sounds like a pretty good company to do business with.

One things weird though. It seems to move more air if reversed that it does direct. That is, if I switch the direction to bring air up and push it towards the ceiling, we feel more air movement than if I switch it to push air directly down on the bed. Hmmmmmm

It doesn't matter anyway. We both feel it just fine, no matter what direction it's turning. So, for those that are still liking your ceiling fan, this company is great to deal with and the new motor was shipped promptly and seems to work flawless. It was a total of $60.00 to my door. Cool! Well, another project that turned out well. On to others.
Scott
so where did you get the new motor?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Dan L,
I'm incredibly sorry for the late reply. I've been doing other things on the coach and just got to the computer. I will not take the credit here. A gent on another RV forum sent it to me. I'll paste it here for you. Once you're on it, click on the "12V Ceiling fans" and then, slide your cursor down to the bottom of the page and you'll see the two motors they offer. One apparently is for "Remote" operation and one is for wall switch operation. I purchased the one for wall switch operation.

http://www.allrvstuff.com/

They were very fast and efficient to deal with. I'd use them again in a heart beat. And, as stated, so far, even on the short duration tests we've ran, the fan is now REALLY QUIET compared to the original motor noise. Way better.
Scott
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,

I called Winnebago and asked about a ceiling fan. I was told there is no support structure in the ceiling. Was your ceiling built with a support structure or did you find a way to put in a support?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Now for the great news. You broke it good. After buying new bearings and carefully repairing mine I patted myself on the back. Only $20 or so for new bearings. Then a few days later. Tick, tick tick. Grrrrr.
I have spent many many hours trying to make that motor quiet. I have the brush thing down pat. My last go round I bought a new fan kit which came with a fancy multi speed control that wouldn't fit in the same hole as the nice little round one. No worries. I just sent it to someone that needed one. I swapped out my old blades and things and just used the new motor.

Now the great news. The new motor has been redesigned. It is apparent they have done something to the bearing holding area but don't know if more has been done. I had glued my bearing in place and the motor still ticked. I believe it is a poor brush holder design. In any case the new motor has been running for months and it is very quiet.

The other good news is I have a web page for you to visit that I thought I lost due to a computer crash but I am crazy about backing things up and found it. If the new motor doesn't look different than the old one send it back and buy a complete fan kit so you get the new style. The changes are around the bearing areas. I have information on where I bought mine.

The 12 volt ceiling fan makes a tremendous difference in comfort level in our mh. We have a tempurpedic bed and they can be a bit warm so circulating is is nice.

Ok,now for the site.

Don't lose this site
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Dan L and Thudman,
Sounds like you boys did well. I personnaly like the idea of a ceiling fan. Although they are not as efficient as house hold ceiling fans and don't push as much air, ours did fine for us, that is until I broke it.
Thats why I used a household 30" hallway fan. 6 blades with more cant on them plus higher speed. It sure does move the air better than a regular ceiling fan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

i fashioned a 4.5-5'' circular mounting plate for my bedroom ceiling fan from an old license plate.
i marked and drilled 10 each 3/16'' and 3ea 1/4'' fan mount holes in the plate.
i drilled a 1/2'' hole in the center of the plate for the wiring.
i mounted the plate to the ceiling where the light was initially with 10ea #10 screws long enough to go through the ceiling luan backing but short enough to not go through the fiberglass roof.
i then mounted the fan motor to the plate with 3ea 1/4'' bolts with lots of washers under the nuts. my fan mount is solid.
my fan has been functioning well, except for the occasional clicking noises, for over 5 years.
my initial fan post with more info and update posts with pictures is in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan