Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CAT C7 Fan Hub Failure

Well, you can add me to the list of those who have experienced a failure of the C7 fan hub (@32K miles). Coming into Texarkana, I suddenly had a "check engine" light and overheat indication. After getting off the Interstate and checking for fluid leaks, I let it cool a bit and pulled into a campground for the night. Arranged for a Coach Net tow to the Freightliner facility the next morning. Long story short, after three days and $2700 we're back on the road. The major cost was labor; the tech worked on it for over two days. He was very good - conscientious and thorough; even removed his boots each time he entered the coach. I was allowed to enter the work area, ask questions, and watch him work.
The fight now will be with CAT. My warranty information was not entered by the dealer (I'm the second owner), so it showed one month out of warranty. I called the dealer and he updated the information with CAT, but they say it will be a week to 10 days before the system reflects the change. In talking to CAT, the rep I talked to said that yes, the engine hub is a CAT part, but it's not part of the engine, so not part of the warranty.
The warranty guy at the Freightliner was great; he said he'll continue to check my warranty info until it's updated, then since the engine will still be in the warranty period he'll file the claim for the hub repair. Maybe it won't work, but it's a chance I'll take.
It seems that it's a catch-22; the old hub had a zerk fitting but no one could get to it so the hubs dried up and failed - the new ones are sealed and failed.
One thing to pass on, like most people, I updated the warranty information with Freightliner and Allison, but couldn't find the CAT serial number and so didn't do it. If you haven't done this, you may want to if you're still in the five-year period.
And yes, I think the labor charge was high, but on the other hand, I know he spent two full days + working on it.
Anyone out there been successful in claiming the hub was covered under the engine warranty?

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
Well, you can add me to the list of those who have experienced a failure of the C7 fan hub (@32K miles). Coming into Texarkana, I suddenly had a "check engine" light and overheat indication. After getting off the Interstate and checking for fluid leaks, I let it cool a bit and pulled into a campground for the night. Arranged for a Coach Net tow to the Freightliner facility the next morning. Long story short, after three days and $2700 we're back on the road. The major cost was labor; the tech worked on it for over two days. He was very good - conscientious and thorough; even removed his boots each time he entered the coach. I was allowed to enter the work area, ask questions, and watch him work.
The fight now will be with CAT. My warranty information was not entered by the dealer (I'm the second owner), so it showed one month out of warranty. I called the dealer and he updated the information with CAT, but they say it will be a week to 10 days before the system reflects the change. In talking to CAT, the rep I talked to said that yes, the engine hub is a CAT part, but it's not part of the engine, so not part of the warranty.
The warranty guy at the Freightliner was great; he said he'll continue to check my warranty info until it's updated, then since the engine will still be in the warranty period he'll file the claim for the hub repair. Maybe it won't work, but it's a chance I'll take.
It seems that it's a catch-22; the old hub had a zerk fitting but no one could get to it so the hubs dried up and failed - the new ones are sealed and failed.
One thing to pass on, like most people, I updated the warranty information with Freightliner and Allison, but couldn't find the CAT serial number and so didn't do it. If you haven't done this, you may want to if you're still in the five-year period.
And yes, I think the labor charge was high, but on the other hand, I know he spent two full days + working on it.
Anyone out there been successful in claiming the hub was covered under the engine warranty?

I have not had a failure but I did want to let you know that if you have a zerk fitting you can get to it. It is on the very top of the hub. In my case I had to remove a panel under the bed. It was a couple of hours worth of work but it is worth it.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
I have not had a failure but I did want to let you know that if you have a zerk fitting you can get to it. It is on the very top of the hub. In my case I had to remove a panel under the bed. It was a couple of hours worth of work but it is worth it.

Same here...I lube the hub everytime I lube the chassis on my 3126E...I know if I had a C7, I would be asking Cat if the hub with the grease fitting is available and will it fit, since the engines are almost identical......
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

With all the Cat fan hub bearing failures being posted on the Forums, does Cummins not have this particular problem? Don't ever remember seeing anyone reporting trouble with the Cummins. Maybe this is just another of the many reasons Cat got out of the RV engine business.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I spoke to cat on their owner hotline yesterday as we were looking at an 06 & 07 with the c7 engine,,according to the tech the hub with the grease fitting from the 3126 will fit the c7 engine, its an even swap
Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is this a problem only on rear radiator with engine mounted fan or does it also exist on the side mounted radiator installations?
bsimonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Be very careful with this fan bearing. The bearing requires a special grease. High temp. I think, but specified exactly in the Winnebago lubrication directions. Also do not just pump in a whole lot of grease as that will damage the seal.

Just a "Dab" will do it, but on every regular scheduled lub job.

Our Jouney has 29 lub points and I do the work myself. Takes about an hour. Once I learned how and where. No big deal. Sorry, but I simply don't trust that all these lub points are going to get attention by some "wrencher" with a hang over.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote