Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My coach was delivered with an IR0739 oil filter. Since I was in the neighborhood, stopped by the local CAT dealer to pick up an extra filter to carry on trips. Not remembering the filter number, the parts clerk checked using the engine model number. Sold me an IR-
1807 - checked after arriving home and called. He stated that the IR-1807 was a "high efficiency" filter.

Called Caterpillar Support Center and was told the same. Asked what the difference in filtration was (micron rating) and was told that he didn't know. It's a larger filter. How much more oil will it take? Dunno.

Any experts know which is the correct filter? (Of course, the 1807 costs $11.44 vs $8.73 for the 0739)
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My coach was delivered with an IR0739 oil filter. Since I was in the neighborhood, stopped by the local CAT dealer to pick up an extra filter to carry on trips. Not remembering the filter number, the parts clerk checked using the engine model number. Sold me an IR-
1807 - checked after arriving home and called. He stated that the IR-1807 was a "high efficiency" filter.

Called Caterpillar Support Center and was told the same. Asked what the difference in filtration was (micron rating) and was told that he didn't know. It's a larger filter. How much more oil will it take? Dunno.

Any experts know which is the correct filter? (Of course, the 1807 costs $11.44 vs $8.73 for the 0739)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Red,

I can't tell you the differences in the filters, but I can tell you that our motorhome was delivered with a 1R0739 which is what I continue to use.

Interestingly, I just just checked the parts application guide for my engine, and it lists the 1R-1807 filter. Could be that one is a newer or high efficiency filter like they say. I doubt it would make any difference, other than the larger one may hold a bit more oil.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Joe-K, I have found that the IR-1807 is indeed a high efficiency filter. Since the CAT HEUI fuel system uses oil to operate, (the high pressure oil supply pump provides the muscle to power fuel injection) I feel that I can't use too much filtration OR oil flow.

Think I'll stick with the IR-1807. Hopefully, CAT will get back with a bit better information that I can use.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Red,

I'll be interested to hear if CAT does get back with more information. I like the idea of a better filter. I can't remember if I've got any of the 1R0739 at home or not, but I think I may switch to the larger filter as well.

I do know that CAT offers two different oil pans for the 3126/C7 engines. The deep sump version is supposed to hold 4 quarts more oil and allows them to increase the service interval for oil changes. They've had some critisism over the years because of the oil change frequency. I know they also came up with a solution of overfilling the oil and recalibrating the dipstick to reflect the new level to increase capacity.

I'm wondering if a larger filter with the deep sump helped them extend mileage interval for oil changes. Purely speculation, but lets see what they come back with.

Joe
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Left them a message at their web site, which I doubt they will answer. I talked again this morning to their customer support line, and was again told that the IR-1807 was a High Efficiency filter. (But, he would not recommend that I use it instead of the IR-0739)Was not impressed with CAT's response, since the rep couldn't/wouldn't tell me the difference between the two filters. i.e. flow rate, micron rating, etc.

I asked about the dip stick re-calibration (which I did at the initial oil change) and he stated that IF the breather tube passes "too much" oil, only a Caterpillar dealer could authorize reverting back to 19 quarts. Mine did spit oil on the toad after going to 22 quarts, and has quit since I reverted back to the original 19 quart fill.

Sure wish CAT would send me something difinitive. Do you suppose the litigious society has a play here??
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Joe, here's the written response I received from the local CAT dealer:

Mr Tory, Thank you first of all for purchasing a motorhome powered by the finest diesel engine available today. Cat Power! Your question is valid and can be explained. Caterpillar filters are far superior than regular filters designed today. The filtration material, design of the filter, no metal components internally, if you have never pulled the two apart from each other you would be shocked the design difference between a Cat vs. the competition. The new design from Caterpillar with High Efficiency has improved contamination control and component protection which means less wear on the critical oil lubricated engine components. I have attached the two latest Information Release Memo's from Caterpillar for your review. Please feel free to share them with friends within the RV business. Please feel free also to contact myself or anyone at Empire Power Systems, your local Caterpillar representative in regards to any of your concerns you may have.

Michael Shannon
Truck Engine Business Manager
Empire Power Systems
602-333-5601 Office
602-622-5601 Cell
[email protected]

If you would like to have the two PDF files, drop me a line.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Red,

Thanks for following up with the CAT information. I believe their statements about the quality. I know that CAT highly reccommends use of their filters rather than replacement brands. I've had several people (diesel generator service organization) that CAT actually sells their filters cheaper than the replacement brands because if folks use their filters they have less warranty issues than with replacements.

In any case, thanks for the information, and I'm sending you a email if you'd forward on the pdf files.

Joe