Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have any recommendations for the best way to clean the main cabin carpet in our coach? We have a tan, slightly textured carpet and the center strip which is exposed when the slides are in (and gets all the traffic) definitely has a darker tinge when compared to the rest of the carpet.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have any recommendations for the best way to clean the main cabin carpet in our coach? We have a tan, slightly textured carpet and the center strip which is exposed when the slides are in (and gets all the traffic) definitely has a darker tinge when compared to the rest of the carpet.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When we had our TT I would use our bissel carpet cleaner on the carpet and it would turn out great. Havent had to use it yet in the motorhome since we just got it in Sept--but when the time comes to clean the carpets I will be using the bissel.

Bob

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you don't want to do it yourself, why not one of chem clean services with a quick dry time?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have used Woollite in the can for Heavy traffic areas. Vacuum well, Spray it on and work it in with a sponge mop. Let it dry and vacuum well.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I bought an interesting product from Oreck that I used with good results. Our carpet is supposed to be an off white but was a groddy grey with spots. Anyway the Oreck stuff is a powder, spray and a brush. You spray the area, sprinkle the powder on and use the brush to rub it in, then after it dries good vaccum the area. I had a grape juice stain and a nice area where the dog had thrown up plus an oil spot from a parking lot. All came up and unlike other cleaners it seems to repel dirt thus no restaining. I need now to do the whole front area but am pleased it removed the stains I had. While not cheap ($50) it is easy to store.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I might try out the Oreck dry cleaning powder: Oreck Dry Carpet Cleaning System

Here's a related question: Any good suggestions for cleaning the grout lines in our tile floor?

Old 03-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We have a little Bissell carpet cleaner that works great ...or your could rent a carpet cleaner from many grocery stores/7-11 type stores a couple times a year.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #9

I purchased a small Bissel carpet cleaner (pretty cheap) and use it on our carpet. I like it because it is small enough to get into the smaller areas on the coach. It does a great job, is fast, and it's always here when I need it !
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I might try out the Oreck dry cleaning powder: Oreck Dry Carpet Cleaning System

Here's a related question: Any good suggestions for cleaning the grout lines in our tile floor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to consider the dry carpet cleaning method, try the Capture system. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a bucket of the powder, a bottle of a pre-spray, and a brush. It sounds like the same system that Oreck sells but is likely much less expensive. We've used it and it works well.

One other time we took advantage of Stanley Steamer's special offer of 'three rooms for $99.' They did the house and then did the motorhome (carpet, all upholstery...sofa, chair, valences) for another $99). It really did the job.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

To' Cbeierl,

We have the same tan, almost white, carpeting, and we store/park our rig in a dirt lot. YUCK.

I've used our Hoover rug shampoo machine, looks like a vacuum cleaner and it does a real good job. Just be careful and don't saturate the rug and go over wet rug a number of times without liquid therby getting as much water out of rug as possible.. Oh Yeah, I use plain water after getting as much shampoo mix out as possible, the plain water removes most of shampoo residue which they say attracts/holds dirt when dry.

TRI IT&lt;&lt; YOU MAY LIKE IT !!

Hope this info helps== Aime=== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
PDB
Winnebago Camper

We bought the Bissell Little Green carpet cleaner from Wally. About $50. It's small, fits easily in a bay, and does a great job.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

please try shaving cream just vaccum the carpet, spray on the shaving cream and work it into the carpet with a wet/damp sponge or rag. rinse the same way, let dry, vaccum good as new and only 1.25 a can for barbazol. amazing results
Kubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kubo:
please try shaving cream just vaccum the carpet, spray on the shaving cream and work it into the carpet with a wet/damp sponge or rag. rinse the same way, let dry, vaccum good as new and only 1.25 a can for barbazol. amazing results </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Key Kubo...HERE'S a weekend get together near Lancaster May 19th-21st....Join us?
Post over there if interested....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We had Stanley Steamer do it and it worked great. Plus it dried real fast.