Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

On my 38T's back slide I now have the carpet bunching up aginst the inside wall. Seems the slide has done something to push the carpet up, its not much, but you sure see it. Looks like its a 1/2 inch bubble about 4 inches wide all along the wall. I thought if I let my slide open for a period of time this bubble would drop away. Did not happen. So I am thinking the carpet has been pulled up by the slide and it could get worse.

OK. Anyone had this issue or have a fix? Just wondering.

Thanks.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the same model and problem, but my carpet has torn. Each time I extend the slide it tears more. I just cut the torn section out and will replace it with a piece of similar color and quality.
Mattpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian and the front slide is marking and dirtying the carpet along the front and back edges of the slide. I have been using strips of thin plastic poster board under each end of the slide to protect the carpet, but it takes two people to run the slide in or out.
Its really pathetic that Winnebago can't or doesn't do a better job of adjusting their slides than they do. I've requested Forest City now twice to raise the front slide a 1/4" or so but each time they just say its adjusted correctly to align everything on the outside of the coach. Guess my next try will have to be with HWH.
Just wonder what kind of marks the slides are making on the coaches with tile or wood floors.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I do know from experience if a coach is not level that the slide gets torqued and you will have problems. Our driver's side front slide has very little clearance at the rear by the fridge. If we are off level then that slide area will not slide in thus torqueing the whole slide since the front will slide freely.

We were level I thought but apparently we were not since once we released the jacks the slide straightened out. The Winnebago techs that came to our rescue (we were on the rally grounds when this happened) said walk outside and look at your slides and you'll see if you are leveled properly. I do that now and often we seem to be level inside but are not according to the look of the slide seals.

Hope this makes sense.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I also have found out the hard way that if I don't check the clearance of the rear wall of the front slide before extending the slide, that I will run into scrape issues with that slide. I have ruined the cardboard faux wood trim and nearly ruined the extended mirror on the wall adjacent to the rear wall of the front slide. My first clue to a problem was that the slide popped the speaker cover off; I leave it off now.

Evidently leveling the coach is no guarantee that the slide will be aligned. I use the levelers only enough to reasonably stabilize the chassis. If the ground is not level, the levelers will not compensate adequately; only twist the chassis and cause slide problems.

Bottom line: always check clearance of the rear wall of the front slide before extending or retracting the slide. I find that one finger thickness (about 3/4 inch) is a good clearance. Turn on the engine and hit the "store" button to fill the air bags before checking the clearance before retracting the slide (not nececessary when checking before extending)
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well I took a good look at the carpet today and what I saw was on the outside of the slide, just under the carpet that moves with the slide, is a metal strip (screwed to the floor, and really hard to see and even look at and you can only see this strip of metal with the slide fully open) that appears to be what the carpet is supposed to be tacked down with. Some of the carpet is under this metal strip and then the area where the carpet has begun to bunch is not under or held down by this strip of metal. The carpet has come out from under the metal strip. Thus the reason, I think, that the carpet has been pushed out and bunched against the opsite wall.

So a fix? Somehow put the carpet back under the strip of metal (that you can hardly see, let alone work with). Need a carpet knee knocker, carpet tacks and somehow get the carpet under the metal strip. Anyone know how to get to this metal strip?
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Steve and Leslie, I have heard that if you put the slide out about halfway you can then lift it SOME from the inside using a board to do work under it. So perhaps you can do the same thing from the outside. Give the factory a call and talk with one of the "floor" techs.

We had tile installed in our living room this fall (hated the carpet) and Darren (our tech) was able to remove alot of carpet so when the slide is in the tile is about 6 or 8 inches under the slide. Our slide is a flat floor one so the carpet on the edge gets a work out each time we retract the slide.

Love the tile and no problems with it at all.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote