Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Captain's Chair?

I have a '94 Winne with captains chairs using side tabs to control moving the seats. Half have broken & need replacing. Anyone know how to remove the chairs so I can repair them? Is there a site that deals with this(I have tried Winne online w/ no success)?
Kayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is a fellow from Texas that does refurbishing of motorhomes. Specifically he does flooring (Carpet, tile, laminate, wood, etc).
erniesremodelingandrepair : Ernie Ekberg's Floor covering
I would bet if you went to his website and left him an e mail he could give you the information you seek. He has pictures on his web site about putting in new flooring and the show the captains chairs removed.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Assuming they are "Flex-Steel"...
after you remove the four hex nuts holding the chair portion to the post portion (from underneath the skirt) you'll still have to twist/turn the seat to get the swively part aligned right. That's it.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, Bryan, I am sure twisting the chair will do it. I was afraid I might mess it up if I did anything other than lifting straight up. Appreciate your help.

Kay
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
There is a fellow from Texas that does refurbishing of motorhomes. Specifically he does flooring (Carpet, tile, laminate, wood, etc).
erniesremodelingandrepair : Ernie Ekberg's Floor covering
I would bet if you went to his website and left him an e mail he could give you the information you seek. He has pictures on his web site about putting in new flooring and the show the captains chairs removed.
Thanks, Codgerbill. Appreciate the help.

Kay
Old 12-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I believe Winnebago manufactures their captains chairs themselves.
I removed ours so my wife could reupholster them. The two side tabs have cables running to the tilt and swivel releases.
One of them stays with the chair when it's removed and one stays with the base.

You should be able to get replacement parts from Lichtsinn Motors Winnebago & Itasca Motorhomes, Iowa RV Dealer - North Iowa GM Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors . They are a dealer a mile or so from the factory in Forest City. I have had good service from them when ordering parts.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I believe Winnebago manufactures their captains chairs themselves.
I removed ours so my wife could reupholster them. The two side tabs have cables running to the tilt and swivel releases.
One of them stays with the chair when it's removed and one stays with the base.

You should be able to get replacement parts from Lichtsinn Motors Winnebago & Itasca Motorhomes, Iowa RV Dealer - North Iowa GM Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors . They are a dealer a mile or so from the factory in Forest City. I have had good service from them when ordering parts.
Thanks, Clay. I went onto Lichtsinn's site, & while they have a ton of stuff, incl the Winne parts catalog, they don't talk about chairs. Still, after I determine exactly what I need, it's clear I can call or e them & get further info. Just seeing their site may spur us to see Iowa this summer...doesn't take much to get us out.
Kay
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjones View Post
Thanks, Clay. I went onto Lichtsinn's site, & while they have a ton of stuff, incl the Winne parts catalog, they don't talk about chairs. Still, after I determine exactly what I need, it's clear I can call or e them & get further info. Just seeing their site may spur us to see Iowa this summer...doesn't take much to get us out.
Kay
The factory tour is pretty neat and you can stay right at the visitors center. Power only but you can dump and get water across the highway at the rally ground.

If you are a WIT member you can go to the rally in July and take special tours of a bunch of areas you don't see on the regular tours. You also get 10% off any parts or stuff you buy at the service center store.