Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've tried the obvious things like the fuse but I still can't persuade the canopy over the entry door to extend on an 04 Journey.

Any ideas on what to try or how to determine if it's broken?

Thanks all

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've tried the obvious things like the fuse but I still can't persuade the canopy over the entry door to extend on an 04 Journey.

Any ideas on what to try or how to determine if it's broken?

Thanks all

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

the motor is full of water.open the left cap and you have access to the motor,you can rebuild the motor
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does it make any noise at all? You should check this in both directions with a DVM and make sure you're getting power.

(At least on the big one) If you find that you have retract and not extend, you're going to need to pull out the coach wiring and chase out the interlocks that are preventing it from running the motor out. This happens when in gear, and something else I don't remember. My problem turned out to be a floor mounted connector, somewhere around 30 pins ALL THE WAY under the dash against the firewall that wasn't seated. That was lots of fun!

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Slowdragon, we also have an 04 39k and our door awning just quit but the remote for it works fine. We figure there is a loose wire in the switch inside the front door. So far haven't dug into it since the remote does the trick. So give your remote a try.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #6

It might be as Serge said. Ours got water in it during a heavy sideways rain, and wouldn't open until it dried out. Friends of ours have a Meridian, and he has to take off his cap when it gets full of water and let it drain...then it works fine.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Two years ago my door awning quit and I could not even get it out manually. I removed the entire unit and hooked it up directly to 12 volt power. I found that the motor had stiffened up probably due to lack of use. After lubricating and exercising the motor I got it to function normally. I still have occasions when the motor will quit after almost closing. I think that there is a thermal overload lockout. After several minutes it will continue to work. I now make sure I exercise it just like the generator.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mine acts up once in a while starting in crooked, but when I run it back out it comes in okay. I'm not as concerned about it not going out as I am about it not coming in sometime when I'm getting ready to leave a CG.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You might also check what I presume is the travel lock. It is a small red tab protruding through the plastic housing under the awning. As you start to extend the awning it pops down then returns back up. Mine had snapped off even with the housing and had got hung up on the side of the slot so it couldn't pop down. I enlarged the slot to keep it from hanging up.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
It might be as Serge said. Ours got water in it during a heavy sideways rain, and wouldn't open until it dried out. Friends of ours have a Meridian, and he has to take off his cap when it gets full of water and let it drain...then it works fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ended up drilling a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the plastic cover...this ended the water problem.
Also, my door awning quit working when the motor shaft "rounded out" the hole in the alumiunun awning drum. I had to remove the electric awning, pull it together, duct tape it together, throw it in the basement, and continue on my trip. A & E repaired it under warranty.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Mine comes in and out verrrrry slowly. I took it off the MH and disassembled the motor and manual gearbox, gave them a good lube job and reassembled. Not much difference. The motor brushes appear to be worn in an abnormal (crooked) pattern. Has anyone had any luck replacing brushes, and where did you find them?
Unit is a 962 series, and it appears Dometic doesn't support that model any more.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote