Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Old Journey

Angry Camping World

I am having a real BIG problem with Camping World Bridgeport NJ service department. Any body else having this? I am doing my best to work it out on my own, but it does not look good. I will keep you up to date soon.
Large Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Sorry to hear you're having a problem but, frankly, it isn't very surprising. Unfortunately, Camping World has a LONG history of being extremely difficult to deal with and has, by most accounts, the absolute worst customer service in the industry once the sale is made.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not just them most of camping world service is bad. I had a toilet installed and it was not bolted down and not streight in the toilet area so your feet would dangle out the door. Glad I cought it before I left their service center.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Without knowing your circumstances, how can we tell if you have a valid point?

Many people love to "dump" on Camping World, and while there are times Camping World falls short, there are more times when they have come through for us!

When you are on the road and need service, Camping World is one of the largest "brands" if not the only "brand" of RV service out there. And if you ask me we are lucky to have them!

This is not an endorsement for Camping World, but I would hate to see them fold up shop!

I have rolled into several Camping Worlds (maybe 10 or so) across the country and and my only complaint is that it takes weeks to get an appointment. And during the summer it can be months. However, this is more common than you think. And while it is very frustrating to be denied service, it's also unfair to "blackball" them over this type of issue.

I have also asked Winnebago in Forest City, IA to do a lot of service; and where I thought I would be in good hands, I ran into several quality control issues there I could not believe!

Do people get frustrated on both sides? YES!

But there are usually two sides to every story!

I also have been to Freightliner and Cummins, and they're no picnic either.
In fact, the trucking business really does NOT want to work on your RV and more often than not they let you know it!

At least Camping World's business is RVs!

I may not have been all that happy with Camping World at times, but they have also saved my "ars" from time to time. Same with Freightliner and Cummins.

Your RV has many systems... and sometimes when you need immediate help your best bet is to google or check Craigslist for a mobile RV mechanic. Just beware you will be dealing one-on-one with the mobile mechanic, and sometimes this turns out to be a "great save" and other times it can be a nightmare.

Personally, I do a lot of my own work and I am fortunate that I can, but I'm getting older and physically it's getting to be more of a challenge. And when I am willing to pay for service, it's really ON ME to know where to take my RV base on the type of repair I need. And even with my mechanical RV and diesel engine experience I choose wrong. And I'm talking everything from Onan to Allison to Freightliner to Cummins to Camping World.

I learn a lot from this forum and IRV2 and I try to share what I know. And my advice to everyone who takes their RV to a shop is this: Plan on it taking longer than you think and costing more.

As for inflating the cost of service, that's a real sore spot for me. IMO, Cummins is the worst. Freightliner is second. And then Camping World in my opinion. So if you think you are being mistreated (on your bill) by CW, you should go to Cummins next time or Freightliner or Winnebago and see what happens!

As for quality of service or miss-diagnosing a problem, they all do that sometimes. But IMO most often Camping World gets it right because their business is RVs.

For example: Last month I brought my RV to Freightliner for a low rear air tank pressure reading. They totally flubbed-it, misdiagnosed it and then tried to over bill me. I wrote the GM and told him how I repaired my Vehicle Data Computer (VDC) for $50 vs. the $2,500 quote they gave me... to fix the wrong part! He wisely refunded the $500 diagnosis fee. I also learned they charge $175/hr for RV service vs. $130/hr for OTR truck service. This seems very unfair, but it's a signal they really don't want RV business!!!

Would I return to this same Freightiner shop if I ever needed other service? ...Yes, I would, reluctantly, because you have to base each situation on it's own merits; and we need more places to find RV service... not less!

In Portland I worked with one independent RV service facility (with a good reputation) to install a residential refrigerator. It took me 1 month to get this appointment. One week later I asked how things were going, and they told me they were going to start working on it next week. I asked why they didn't start right away since I made an appointment and waited 1 month? Their answer was this: Your appointment put you in line for service and we can get you next week. ...And yes, this shop knew I wanted to leave town on a trip. ...I was not happy, but what can you do? ...And the next RV I bought, the one I have now, I put the residential refrigerator in myself!

Camping World is at least RV friendly; and usually their facilities are able to handle 40' RVs. I also have at times got on the spot service and other times been turned away. ...And on that occasion, I think I went in Camping World Bridgeport (when it was 40F outside) to get my hot water heater check valves fixed. They told me they were taking appointments 2.5 months out and would not squeeze my 1 to 1.5 hour service into their schedule.

...I couldn't find anyone to change them. ...So again, I turned to IRV2 and this forum for help; and I was able to fix the problem myself with parts Camping World stocked and I did it in their parking lot, because I was not going to take another cold water shower and I was desperate. Note: The CW-Bridgeport parts people were very helpful.

Finding able bodied RV mechanics is harder than you think. So I hope you get treated right on your next service call and that you are not too terribly burdened if you are on the road now?

By the way, you never told us what you need help with?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Marge View Post
I am having a real BIG problem with Camping World Bridgeport NJ service department. Any body else having this? I am doing my best to work it out on my own, but it does not look good. I will keep you up to date soon.
If you're a forum member on RVNet, why not try sending them a message regarding one of their Good Sam subsidiaries and your specific problems?
They try to help out with Good Sam ERS issues that people have had.
Maybe they would help out with a CW issue?
There are Camping World related sub-forums over there.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
......Many people love to "dump" on Camping World, and while there are times Camping World falls short, there are more times when they have come through for us!............[/B]
I'm glad you had a good experience with them. Not everyone can say the same.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I ordered a new water heater (direct replacement) three weeks ago. Paid for 2nd day delivery. They charged my card the SAME day. They still haven't shipped it. With my luck it will show up while we're on vacation.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post

Many people love to "dump" on Camping World, and while there are times Camping World falls short, there are more times when they have come through for us!

[/B]
I am not impressed! I will never shop or have maintenance done there again.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Update: My water heater order is now a month old (order accepted for 2nd day delivery). I finally found a supervisor on my 4th call on Monday (which was a holiday), and SHE was just as outraged as I was. It turns out that the part was never in stock, and was never shipping (contrary to the info given by three other Customer Service people). Never. Shipping. She offered to ship me a more expensive one, OVERNIGHT, with no additional charges. I would get it on Wednesday. It's Friday, and I JUST got a tracking number. It "will" be delivered on Monday, for a total of six days on an "overnight" delivery.

I am SO finished with these guys. Horrible systems and appalling CS.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
Update: My water heater order is now a month old (order accepted for 2nd day delivery). I finally found a supervisor on my 4th call on Monday (which was a holiday), and SHE was just as outraged as I was. It turns out that the part was never in stock, and was never shipping (contrary to the info given by three other Customer Service people). Never. Shipping. She offered to ship me a more expensive one, OVERNIGHT, with no additional charges. I would get it on Wednesday. It's Friday, and I JUST got a tracking number. It "will" be delivered on Monday, for a total of six days on an "overnight" delivery.

I am SO finished with these guys. Horrible systems and appalling CS.
Sounds like they at least tried to make up for it. Gotta give them some credit for that.

I had a similar problem with a small on-line generator seller trying to get a parallel connector. I ended up cancelling the order.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If it were only a problem of currently not able to get shipping correct, we could somewhat overlook the issue as things are in a real mess with the virus hitting truck drivers so hard as well as warehouse personnel. Think of drivers who drive state to state and constantly have to eat or shop in strange areas where the disease is running wild and you can see how many are going to go missing. The USPS shipping is certainly in a mess with all the nonsense going on there and doing more and more contracting. But that doesn't mean that the company can be excused for all the other points they are missing.
We had jacks installed on a Thor and discussed exactly where things were to be installed for what we wanted, but nobody told the installer and he used one of the storage bins to put the pump inside! First hydraulic pump I've ever seen installed inside a vehicle! Very bad service and very much a lack of trying.
But
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

You obviously work for Camping World to give such an endorsement because their high prices, low quality, and long service time do not warrant any positive statements. I had an awning replaced and it kept jogging back and forth while stowed while I was driving. Camping World claimed it was supposed to do that to keep it up against the coach. Crazy. I finally took it some place else and after they stopped laughing that I was told it was supposed to do that, they figured out the brand new controller was bad. That fixed the problem. Oh, did I also tell you it took 3 months to do the awning replacement and Camping World charged me $3000 for the poor installation and I still had to go somewhere else!!
Pdest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Camping World and installing Sumo Springs

I need to raise the rear of my 2015 Trend 2 inches to avoid scrapping the driveway. I had been told that Camping World could do but not sure if they are the best place to get this done in Tucson, AZ. Any suggestions? Thanks
TucsonTrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #14
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonTrend View Post
I need to raise the rear of my 2015 Trend 2 inches to avoid scrapping the driveway. I had been told that Camping World could do but not sure if they are the best place to get this done in Tucson, AZ. Any suggestions? Thanks
RUN . . . Any heavy duty spring shop should be able to do it for you
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Camping World service

A friend of mine has an Allegro Bus. His house batteries were losing charge between trips. He took it to the Camping World location near here. They did troubleshooting and some work on two different occasions. He paid them a total of just over $1000, but still didn't solve the problem. I suggested that he take it to the local automotive shop that does all my Winnebago chassis work. My mechanic charged the batteries, disconnected them, then checked the voltage every hour or so for the rest of the day. They were losing charge anyway. Turns out the batteries were bad. Evidently the Camping World tech didn't think to test the batteries.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

It Tain't just Camping World. I had major issues with LazyDays both in Sefner FL and Tuscon with a 1 year old unit I bought at Sefner. (Resolved at Dennis Dillon, Garden Grove CA. on my dime). Granted my worst most recent experience was at Camping World, where I bought my most current RV, a Via 25T. Once they had my money--no more help. I owned what I suspect was probably one of the first 10 Winnie Adventurer Diesels. I bought it as a "demo" from a well respected and still in business RV Dealer with multiple locations in S. Cal. It lost the brakes in 9 AM freeway traffic, (after about 5 transmission exchanges, because someone thought that my no power-no move was the transmission--it was the brakes locking up because of a defective master cylinder. No emergency brake--just a pawl engaged on the Allison transmission...The water tank fell out of the bottom at 10 PM on I 20 between Dallas and Fort Woth in the middle of the winter...accelerator cable froze --really froze on the freeway etc.

My best service has been with small independent shops and even mobile service units. They have to go good work to stay in business.

I has chassis/engine service done on my last 42' diesel pusher at Seedco for oil changes and service. I was always treated there with the upmost of respect--plus I enjoy talking to truckers in the lounge. I had a Cummins dealer solve a problem where I lost all instruments and was running by GPS for speed and the sound for RPM...(before the SCAN gauge G--or Bank's instruments).

Bottom line--you have to take some bad, and hopefully find some good service...But I stay away from Camping World and LazyDays...!!!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:16 AM   #17
Yonder

I do the annual service on our DP at Freightliner OASIS dealers. I haven't had any of them go out of their way to kiss me and show gratitude for my business but their work has been competent. If they are advertising as an OASIS dealer then that says (to me) they want to service motorhomes in addition to trucks.

For the "house" side of things, I've had best results with local, independent, mobile O/Os. Like an earlier poster said, these guys need the good rep to stay in business. An added bonus with this type of service is that you can watch them work and many are willing to teach you while they do.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

thataway4 is right. Find a local shop that will work on your chassis and engine issues. My local shop is University Auto Repair in Wingate NC, about four miles from my home. Mike, the shop owner, is an avid motor home RVer. He and his son, Eric, have saved me many headaches and lots of $$$$ over the years.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I am in Michigan located 40 miles west of Detroit. I have dealt with the Camping World in Belleville Michigan. I have always had great experiences with this facility. They give you an estimate and it has always been accurate. If they find something outside the original estimate they talk to you first to make recommendations and give you a price.. I highly recommend this particular Camping world.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #20
PIC
Winnebago Owner

I assume most of us are old enough to remember the American Made Car Dealers of the 70's & 80's. It wasn't until the imports started putting them on the butts that Detroit finally woke up to many things including CUSTOMER SERVICE after the sale. Today they are back in competition with the imports. Unfortunately. from a consumer point of view this consolidation of RV dealers into Super Stores has only exacerbated lousy customer service. Try getting an appointment anywhere less than 6 weeks and then it can sit another 6 "waiting for parts" and this is pre-Covid! I am so happy that I was convinced to go into a TT for our first "real" RV. Not only less money was laid out but but as it turns out it's a classic KISS, (keep it simple stupid)unit. Not only are our systems less complicated and less fails but most issues I can figure out with a cell phone and access to YouTube, eliminating the need for a service shop and all the hassles that go with going in for "Service" Happy Trails to All
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping