Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: I posted this on the FL site as well with no responses to date. Sooooo, I'll try here:

While cleaning the RAD/CAC, I observed that the engine side of the CAC seemed to have a white colored "caulk" material permanently installed on every other finned opening. The caulk material was horizontal and did not wash off with the Simple Green cleaning solution and multiple rinses.

My concern is that if the CAC has a minimum of 50% of the air passages blocked, then the amount of cooling air reaching the radiator is greatly reduced. As we all know from the many posts on this site, the rear rad Journeys have a tendency to run hot.

Maybe there is a reason which has more to do with the air temp reaching the turbo from the CAC, but I still wonder if the radiator needs additional air flow to properly cool the engine.

Any ideas or similar experience with this? THANKS!

De Oppresso Liber - Spooky - 02 Journey DL
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: I posted this on the FL site as well with no responses to date. Sooooo, I'll try here:

While cleaning the RAD/CAC, I observed that the engine side of the CAC seemed to have a white colored "caulk" material permanently installed on every other finned opening. The caulk material was horizontal and did not wash off with the Simple Green cleaning solution and multiple rinses.

My concern is that if the CAC has a minimum of 50% of the air passages blocked, then the amount of cooling air reaching the radiator is greatly reduced. As we all know from the many posts on this site, the rear rad Journeys have a tendency to run hot.

Maybe there is a reason which has more to do with the air temp reaching the turbo from the CAC, but I still wonder if the radiator needs additional air flow to properly cool the engine.

Any ideas or similar experience with this? THANKS!

De Oppresso Liber - Spooky - 02 Journey DL
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Spooky - was waiting for someone to respond to your question, I have never been able to get into a position to even see the engine side of my CAC.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Can't seem to find my RV acronym bible. Maybe you could refresh this reader's memory regarding RAD/CAC. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jackm:
Can't seem to find my RV acronym bible. Maybe you could refresh this reader's memory regarding RAD/CAC. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radiator and charge air cooler.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Spooky, don't give up on us. As soon as I can get to the coach I will check to see if the same condition exists on ours. Maybe a couple of days, hang on..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Your fortunate to be able to see your CAC. Our Journey 36G has such a tight confiuration that it was difficult for me to look up into the fan cowling, even with a flash light, to determine if my cleaning efforts were doing any good. I did get some gunk on the ground so did some good. But could not really tell how clean it was. The gunk just quit falling.
So with all that said, I can't help you identify the chaulk like material. But maybe FreightLiner might be able to assit you. I know they clean raditors in Gaffney so they must see a lot of dirty raditors of all types. Please let us know if your able to find out what the chaulk material is.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Spooky, just crawled underneath our coach and we too have the same horizontal material on every other fin opening. The unit was obviously manufactured that way.

Guess we'll have to trust in FL engineering dept as to the reasoning and there being sufficient air flow to cool the engine. My engine temp runs about 188 degrees winter or summer.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: OUTSTANDING!! I knew someone would be able to see the engine side of the CAC to see the caulk. It seems that the FL Oasis in Tolleson, AZ (Phoenix) has also seen the same condition with NO explanation from FL.

As an engineer with a speciality in HVAC and environmental areas, I stand on my initial theory that reducing one half of the air flow through the CAC results in a reduced air flow through the radiator which increases the coolant temperature.

Pulling a load with the 330 Cat often results in our having to downshift into 5th or 4th to keep the RPM's in the 2000 range in order to keep the engine temp below 200 degrees.

If anyone has a better connection to FL than I have, I'll really appreciate a response or a phone number at Gaffney so I can discuss this with the factory.

THANKS again for each of your responses and efforts to clear this issue up.

De Oppresso Liber - Spooky - 02 Journey 36DL