Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
RAD

Cabinet struts

Looking for some help with installation of cabinet struts.......My new 2014 Minnie Winnie K doesn't have struts on the overhead cabinets so I buy a pair of 6" struts and go to install them and realize I have know idea the position of them ....I don't want to guess and put holes in the cabinets and be wrong.
Any owners have some input?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Masking Tape Might Help

You can put masking tape on the cabinet's wood frame and the door frame where you think the strut might be mounted. Then you can make all kinds of screw hole marks, doors open and closed, and figure out where the best mount position is, without marking up your wood.

One per door was plenty - I did not need one on each side, as I initially thought.

I put the struts on my rig, on the overhead cabinets which open like an airline luggage bin. They are great. No more hitting your head, or trying to hold up the door with one hand and fish around with the other.

I thought I recalled pretty good instructions on the package...
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
RAD

Thanks for the reply...there were no instructions and there so stiff its hard to position them and operate the door to see the best way to mount.....I'm trying to install them on the same type of cabinet door openings
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am currently in my motorhome. I have 4" struts on my cabinet doors.

The bracket on the door is mounted about 1.5" from the top to the door ... the other end of the strut is mounted about 6" from the top of the face frame. The door overlaps the face frame by about .25"

So the strut is compressed to 4.75" when the door is closed.

This might help you figure out how to mount your struts.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are the "struts you ordered spring loaded or gas powered? The ones for the interior cabinets on both our 2001 and 2013 Adventurers are both spring powered like this one.

RV Cabinet Door Strut

They only have enough power to hold the cabinet door up once it's been opened.

The gas struts on the outdoor cabinets are strong enough to open the doors once the door is unlatched. The reason I ask is that a gas powered strut may be strong enough to damage the door or the frame when you try to close the door.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Door Strut

RADRV, here is a picture of the door struts installed that hikerdogs is talking about. And like he said if the struts are to strong they may damage the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet door support.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	82204  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
RAD

The struts are from RV designer and model # 279....I sent an email to the company looking for instructions....I also did a search on the internet and found a lot of pictures and have a pretty good idea on doing this with confidence.....thanks to everyone for all the input
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Same as mine

These look to be the exact ones I installed. You will like them a lot.

On my coach, the extra strains of having the struts in place eventually loosened some of screws that were holding the hinges. After a while, they didn't hold the hinges that well. They were too loose in the screw holes. Maybe the hinge screws weren't very strong from the factory, or had been overtightened by the installers and maybe stripped out some wood.

Anyway, I ended up getting 24 oversized screws, just a little bit bigger around and a hair longer, and I replaced all the hinge screws.
Now everything is solid and tight.

You will be surprised how hard it is to screw into hardwood, if you don't pre-drill the screw hole big enough...
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote