Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We recently noticed a big crack in our passenger side windshield while it was in our RV parking space. Since we had planned to go on a trip we felt it needed to be fixed and called our insurance. The new windshield was ordered in a speedy fashion. When the installer came to our place to install it he made the comment that:
"As soon as he heard it was a Winnebago he assumed it was caused by rust."

Sure enough, when the windshield was taken out it was very obvious that almost the whole frame on the outside was covered with a solid coat of rust. He explained that as the rust builds up it puts pressure on the glass and causes it to crack. We had found it very strange that the crack seemed to start under the top of the window frame. This explained that.

The installer even had a special scraper with him to take off the rust all around the frame, and he put on a coat of anti rust paint.
As we checked the other windshield we could see a build up of rust under the rubber gasket also.

Obviously this is a problem that is known in the windshield replacement industry.
How many of you have had this problem??? Should Winnebago not address this issue? How should I approach this??

As always, thanks for your inputs.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We recently noticed a big crack in our passenger side windshield while it was in our RV parking space. Since we had planned to go on a trip we felt it needed to be fixed and called our insurance. The new windshield was ordered in a speedy fashion. When the installer came to our place to install it he made the comment that:
"As soon as he heard it was a Winnebago he assumed it was caused by rust."

Sure enough, when the windshield was taken out it was very obvious that almost the whole frame on the outside was covered with a solid coat of rust. He explained that as the rust builds up it puts pressure on the glass and causes it to crack. We had found it very strange that the crack seemed to start under the top of the window frame. This explained that.

The installer even had a special scraper with him to take off the rust all around the frame, and he put on a coat of anti rust paint.
As we checked the other windshield we could see a build up of rust under the rubber gasket also.

Obviously this is a problem that is known in the windshield replacement industry.
How many of you have had this problem??? Should Winnebago not address this issue? How should I approach this??

As always, thanks for your inputs.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago paid to have ours sanded and painted after a rock went through it, and it was found to be rusty and if the other side breaks they better take care of it as this has been the coach from H...!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
adj
Winnebago Camper

My 97 Suncruiser had rust problems around the windshield.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Itasca Meridian just started two running cracks in the right side windshield about a month ago while setting in a campground site. The first one started from the center about 6-8 inches up from the bottom and the second one started up from the bottom about 8-10 inches over from the center about 2 weeks later. Both are headed toward the right side of the coach and each one is about 12-18 inches long. I just assumed they started from a rock chip I didn't see since I try to have all rock chips repaired as soon as they happen.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ellen

I note you have a 2003 coach. We recently had both windshields replaced in our 2003 coach (not due to cracks like yours). I closely inspected the metal frame and found rust in only once place near the top center passenger side where water appeared to have come from inside the front cap from a leaking clearance lamp. The rest was in very good shape with no rust. They did clean the re-prime the metal before installing the new windshields.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have had two replace both halves of the windshield due to rust. Th first cracked near the bottomand was replaced by an auto glass company who said the crack was from rusting of the frame and set points behind the glass and predicted the other half would also crack. It cracked three weeks later while in storage. It was replaced at Winnebago factory (at my expense). The mounting system and waterproofing or rust proofing was inadequate. Don't know iof Winne has improved this situation.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote