Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm hoping someone can give us some advice. My father-in-law has a 1999 ford winnebago 37G adventurer. recently he discovered that the rear welds holding the body to the frame have broken. he contacted the dealer in RI where it came from, they are no help at all. Has anyone had this problem before with the welds? is it common? If he can get it repaired will it be safe? any help would be great. thanx
shad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm hoping someone can give us some advice. My father-in-law has a 1999 ford winnebago 37G adventurer. recently he discovered that the rear welds holding the body to the frame have broken. he contacted the dealer in RI where it came from, they are no help at all. Has anyone had this problem before with the welds? is it common? If he can get it repaired will it be safe? any help would be great. thanx
Old 07-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Why not just bring it to a welding shop and have the cracked areas re-welded ?
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with a 00' Journey that I owned. I contacted Winnebago Customer Service and they had me take the coach to my local dealer, and paid for the repair. Might be worth a call. At the time the coach was out of warranty and I was the second owner.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your input. That was the kind of info I was hoping to hear about. he does not want just anybody rewelding it. It seems like a costly process, he is more concerned with safety in the long run. It has dropped 2 inches in the rear on the side the weld broke. The floor of the body is sitting directly on the frame. looking at the motorhome from the outside its lopsided. when he took it to his locaol dealer, they were no help and told him it would be at least 6 weeks before they could look at it anyway. He is not sure how to procede, should he just call winebago directly? I would think that this would classify as a factory defect. The problem was discovered when he had motorhome inspected. thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would advise him to contact Winnebago customer service directly. Explain the problem, and the problem with the dealer. They may have some good suggestions for him.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone feel there may be a conection between the broken welds and the seals of the windows leaking, resulting in fogged up windows? When it first started to lean 2 years ago the front windows fogged up (once again the local dealer was no help they told my father in law the window company had gone bankrupt and there was nothing they could do, and they had NEVER heard of this type of window problem.) After having the windows replaced at his cost with single pane glass. Now the rear windows are fogging. Could it be the body is flexing enough to make the seals in the glass leak?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't have any cracked welds, but I do have fogging windows. The double pane windows do have this tendency. They s**k because of this.
And there expensive to replace. And a safety hazzard!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I don't have any cracked welds either and I have fogged dual pane windows. Mine first started right after the 1 year warranty expired. Atwood is not out of business, although they did close their Indiana plant. The fogged front cabin windows are a serious safety hazard.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Gardiser:
Why not just bring it to a welding shop and have the cracked areas re-welded ?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some (perhaps all) chassis welds may have been heat treated. Welding on them without proper preheating and cooling might make a bad situation worse. I would not let a "shade tree" welder repair them.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Shad123, have your or your father made contact with Winnebago customer service about the problem yet. If so, what was their response? I would think that they might be able to offer severl very viable suggestions. Who knows, they might even be willing to participate in the repairs, especially if it presents a safety hazard.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote