Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broken crank shaft in 2015 V10

A friend of mine just let me know that his motorhome has a broken crank shaft and under the warranty his is getting a new motor from Ford. I know him and we travel together so I know that he takes good care of his Rig. 21,000 miles.

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would think that a very significant mechanical engine part failing is highly unusual.

It sure would be interesting to know exactly what broke and why it broke. I know you said the crankshaft broke. However that is a very substantial hunk of metal to "break". Connecting rods to the pistons, on the other hand could break if bearings locked up and that would damage the crank.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On the F53 if the engine battery shorts it can cause the ECM to fire well before TDC and lock the engine causing a skid. I was going slow when the engine battery in my 2001 shorted and it created a massive jolt that locked up the rear wheels for a moment. If I had been going any faster something for sure would have broken such as the crank, drive shaft, differential, rods, etc. I am glad I was just in the parks driveway when this occurred and swapping out a house battery for the engine battery got me going again with no apparent engine damage.

Lesson learned on a computer controlled engine do not ignore signs of battery failure. I had to use the boost switch to get started the day I arrived at the park and had put an automotive charger on the engine battery the night before I left and was planning on replacing it when I got home so I am supposing that when output from the alternator got high enough as I got past 5 mph the battery shorted. Glad it did not blow up and add that extra mess to deal with. Battery was never very low on water either and I always used distilled water to top it off. It was a just out of warranty Never Start from Walmart.

I can see this easily causing a broken crank especially if it happened at highway speeds.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

They are getting a new motor under the warranty. Ford is sending a long block. No cost to them. They were lucky they were not far from home and they had a tow vehicle with them. It could have been much worse.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have been unlucky enough to have two crankshafts break on me years ago. One was in a 64 ford dump truck and the other was a 78 dodge van. Both broke behind the front two pistons so it still ran but really noisy.
Sunflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10