Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Broken Arm - Captain's Chair

I did not find anything specific on this -

The left arm on the passenger chair stop working properly. Stopped working in the fact that you can rotate it 360 degrees and there is no "stop" points.

I removed the arm and found that the arm rotates freely on the shaft. I have removed the cover and cannot see anything that is visible. The arm is molded foam. Of course this is coach is 16 months old (purchased new) and this is out of warranty. A replacement is $238.05, plus shipping and will take at least two weeks to build.

Attached photos. Has anyone attempted to repair one of these arms?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390_1.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	13512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391_1.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	13513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392_1.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	13514  
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You have to make sure the pin on the arm shaft is engaged in the slot in the chair. To do this you have to line up the pin and slot and really push the arm in HARD, VERY HARD to get them to engage correctly. If they don"t engage correctly, the arm will spin 360 degrees as you stated. Hope this helps. Been there, done that!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

you can tell by looking at the pictures that the shaft is spinning. The pin should stay in one position. you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it. I would take sharp knife and split the foam back to the steel bracket in the center of the foam. weld the shaft back to the support and reglue the foam back together.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Call Flexsteel customer service, they can send you instructions for a fix.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Just my own personal experience, but good luck with Flexsteel. I sent them an email about a question I had and although they did reply, they were of no help what-so-ever. And didn't seem the least bit concerned that they weren't either!
Ron
Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-Road-Pr View Post
Just my own personal experience, but good luck with Flexsteel. I sent them an email about a question I had and although they did reply, they were of no help what-so-ever. And didn't seem the least bit concerned that they weren't either!
Ron
Wow! I've "called" three times and it was great customer service each time. I recently returned the two armrests for the co-pilot seat to have them converted to adjustable armrests. They e mailed me when they received them and called me when they shipped them with the tracking number. The other calls were operational calls and they helped me both times. I'm sorry your experience was not as positive.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the pin rotates freely on the arm. In comparing to the other arms, the pin should be stationary. I guess I have nothing to lose in taking this one apart and seeing if it might be repairable. Since the captain's chair is manufacturered by Winnebago and not Flexsteel, a call to Flexsteel would probably not do me any good. Don't think parts are interchangable and the cost is probably no cheaper. This must have been a defect, as I had a 99 Adventurer and never had any problems with the arms on the Captain's Chairs. Guess I could try Winnebago Customer Relations and see if they can provide any support.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Call Flexsteel customer service, they can send you instructions for a fix.
+ 1
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcheryl View Post
You have to make sure the pin on the arm shaft is engaged in the slot in the chair. To do this you have to line up the pin and slot and really push the arm in HARD, VERY HARD to get them to engage correctly. If they don"t engage correctly, the arm will spin 360 degrees as you stated. Hope this helps. Been there, done that!
Ditto what Rick has stated -- been there, done that, and the process is fairly simple. Remove the four screws that attach the frame around the adjustment wheel and then remove the arm rest from the foam rubber and cardboard. I found it was easiest to insert the bare frame back onto the seat assembly and then adjust/check the mechanical action. Repackage the assembly back into the foam rubber/cardboard -- I was surprised at the surface rust on the arm assembly -- cleaned and sprayed with NAPA Rust Treatment and lubricated the height mechanism with silicon spray.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This is a non-adjustable arm - I just ordered the replacement from Lichtsinn Motors. Seems that you can get it covered or un-covered. The covered part (has the upholstery) costs $238 and the bare (no upholstery) costs $39. Since the upholstery cover on mine is fine, I ordered the plain bare arm and will slide my existing cover on it. Also - no wait time - three in stock.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

In my situation the alignment pin had fallen out inside the chair. Fortunately it was lodged in the fabric and cushion and I was able to fish it out. After hammering it back into the armrest pin hole it remained firmly attached. Re-installation was by aligning the alignment pin with the slot on the chair while inserting the main armrest pin in the hole and helping the fabric around the aligning pin. Sort of like rubbing your head and patting your belly. This is done more or less with the armrest facing straight up. It takes some force to compress the cushions and a little wiggling to find the correct path to lower the armrest.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote