Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Last weekend I was doing a bunch of upgrades and one of the biggies was to get my real nice mud flaps with big chrome weights put on. The backs went on pretty easy, but a little tough in my uneven driveway to get them on straight.

On to the fronts; took a measurement and than proceeded to put the jacks down a little so I could get under and do my work. (BTW the slides where in) First thing I noticed was that there where no cross supports, so I ended up bolting the new mud flaps to the existing flap that was there. To sturdy things up I made a L bracket and bolted that to the side panel.

With temps in the mid 90's I sweat-ed my butt off but they turned out great.

So off on a little impromptu camping trip this weekend. Got to the CG and proceeded to put the jacks down and than the slides out. (Usually my wife Michelle would do this) So as the first slide starts on its way I notice a bit of a strain and than BANG! "What the heck was that!" everyone shouts. Run outside and see the front part of the slide panel bent in and my nice L bracket dangling on the mud flap.

First thing out of Michelle's mouth is "I am glad I didn't put out the slides"

What a dork I am! I am sitting there looking at the flap and thinking how easy it would have been to install the mud laps with the slides out. I wasn't even paying attention to the damage. Luckily the front of the slide is pretty thin metal and my bracket was only installed with some SS self taping screws. It only bent in the front section before the bin. It was easy to bend it back in place by hand and you'd never know it happened.

Never had those store-mores on the old Show Hauler.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Last weekend I was doing a bunch of upgrades and one of the biggies was to get my real nice mud flaps with big chrome weights put on. The backs went on pretty easy, but a little tough in my uneven driveway to get them on straight.

On to the fronts; took a measurement and than proceeded to put the jacks down a little so I could get under and do my work. (BTW the slides where in) First thing I noticed was that there where no cross supports, so I ended up bolting the new mud flaps to the existing flap that was there. To sturdy things up I made a L bracket and bolted that to the side panel.

With temps in the mid 90's I sweat-ed my butt off but they turned out great.

So off on a little impromptu camping trip this weekend. Got to the CG and proceeded to put the jacks down and than the slides out. (Usually my wife Michelle would do this) So as the first slide starts on its way I notice a bit of a strain and than BANG! "What the heck was that!" everyone shouts. Run outside and see the front part of the slide panel bent in and my nice L bracket dangling on the mud flap.

First thing out of Michelle's mouth is "I am glad I didn't put out the slides"

What a dork I am! I am sitting there looking at the flap and thinking how easy it would have been to install the mud laps with the slides out. I wasn't even paying attention to the damage. Luckily the front of the slide is pretty thin metal and my bracket was only installed with some SS self taping screws. It only bent in the front section before the bin. It was easy to bend it back in place by hand and you'd never know it happened.

Never had those store-mores on the old Show Hauler.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

DUDE!!! You conveniently "forgot" to tell me this one when we talked on the phone a little while ago...

Guess we now have our first "impromptu" HWH slide motor stress test!!

When my slides start in or out, this little female voice warns "please be certain all seats,doors and other obstacles are clear of the slide-out area"....maybe we can amend yours to say "please be certain you've not screwed anything to the slide-out area" too??

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

So, you screwed the L bracket to the slide?? We all do bonehead stuff, like the time I left the service center at Gaffney with the toad emergency brake on. DW says, what is that squealing noise? Duh, that's the rear tires on the Explorer leaving nice black marks on their parking lot .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, Bill. I know you weren't a happy camper when it happened, but I have to laugh.

Sounds like something I would do. I think maybe I have rubbed off on you.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warpath:
--snip--
First thing out of Michelle's mouth is "I am glad I didn't put out the slides" --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is exactly what my Jane would say!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Bob: Whoops, must have slipped my mind

Gary: Yep, found a nice piece of channel there and it was close by to boot.

Mike: I doubt it, you would have checked with Joe-K first.

John: I sad to Michelle, why would you be worried about doing it, it was my mistake. She said that I would have blamed her for not stopping in time. Who me! I would never do that.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Warpath:
If that's the worst thing you've done, you're in good shape. I won't list the dumb things I've done---too painful.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Leaving the brakes on in Gafney must be a FL thing. Happened to me too!!

Having service done in Gafney? BEWARE!!!
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote