Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Black tank leak

Hello, I have a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer with a leak from my black tank. I’m not sure if it’s the tank or a connection.
Do u have a procedure for this problem?
How do I access the tank?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Odie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Leaks are one of those things thatcan come in unlimited forms and the details are what matter a whole bunch, so we need a lot more detail as there is no one "standard " method.
Some details that would help to point in the right direction?
Which 2010 Adventurer as there appear to be eight listed for that year. Check here for some parts of the plumbing to see the list and possibly look at how the parts lay out?

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Then a second really helpful item is to look and think of when it leaks and what might be happening at the time. Does it leak right away when you flush the stool or after a bit, you get the smelly water coming out totally away from any plumbing? One can indicate a leak at a stool seal while the other may be a sink drain line leaking but the water eventually works it's way to the back bumper to drop out and be seen!

So give as many details on what you see and what makes it a tank leak rather than some of the lines leading to the tank.
Tanks themselves are normally pretty good but the things attached to them often do get loose, so details, details?
The better idea of what's happening and on which RV may let us spot the problem quicker.
Best of luck on the trip as it is always a bummer to find the favorite toy is broken!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your quick response and questions.
It is a 35P.
It started to leak on the road at a stop in Iowa returning from Arizona in April. Yes, it was cold so one concern is freezing.
I dumped it and didn’t use it again until I was home - Minnesota.
It didn’t leak when I flushed it.
Definitely smelly water comes out, drips like every second from several spots. The shelf that the tank sits on is wet and that’s where it drips from. I can’t see the tank.
I went to a dump location and began filling it to be sure it leaked, and it did. I then took it home and filled it up to 3/4 and let it drip until it stopped. 36 hours later it stopped and the meters inside read empty.
The tank sits on a metal shelf under the rv and unless I cut some metal, it doesn’t look like there is a way to get at it from the bottom. So I’ve started to take apart the water station where the dump valve is, thinking that I might be able to slide it out if I got everything out of the way. Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay! Sounds like there are some good and some bad involved.
One good one that I "feel" is correct is that the black water holding tank is not the first thing to freeze for a couple reasons. One is the fresh water lines are much smaller and in places that get cold quicker. No need to tell a fellow from your part of the world about that stuff!
But the stuff in the black tank also freezes slower and the space is pretty wide open and broad so it seems like it would take far more to freeze solid enough to break? Some guessing there, for sure.

But it is easy for water to drop out on the tank top and run around before getting down to the bottom, so just suspect sneaky things like that.

So if you were in the Rv and traveling, you likely kept it warm enough not to freeze the tank and fresh or grey freeze first? But putting water directly into the black and finding it leaking is a good test.
But I'm still on the idea that it is likely to be a fitting, etc. that leads to the tank, not the tank. That would be good as getting to the tank can be a bear! They are often dropped into a specific built space as the thing is put together, making it hard to get out without rebuilding the RV.

For info, this seems to be the right parts drawing for you and it might show some things that "might/ could" lead you up a blind alley.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...p_plumbing.pdf

Page two shows the grommet for the stool and vent pipe which goes out the roof. Those can get dry and fall apart or leak if we get the tank too full, so check and hope it might be happening? Easier to get to than the whole tank!

Then page four gives some info on the drain connection. I is at the tank bottom and so will leak with less water in the tank than the stool connection, so we can sort of use that to sort which might be the problem. Stool or vent only leak when really full or flush the stool, where the drain might be expected to leak with only half tank full?

I'm likely telling you things you might already know but just my way of trying to sort the problem. I think that has an official name of "mansplaining". Hope that's not offensive to you!

This is from the section on plumbing and gives some other details:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...j35p_plumb.pdf
Old 05-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We think alike. Full of logic and mechanical thinking. “mansplaning” is a good description. So I’d better get at it. I’ll start by taking the entire wet bay panel off to see if the tank will come it.
Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Morich, thought you’d like to know. I was able to get everything off the wet bay panel and when I loosened the clamp holding the drain pipe, the whole thing fell away, the connection between the drain pipe and the tank was loose. So now I have to figure out how to reconnect the pipe to the tank and tighten it when it’s about two feet away from the wet bay opening. I’ll figure something out. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good deal! You've still got a problem but likely smaller than first thought said you had!
Got any small kids around that would love to be a mechanics assistant for a day?
Sounds like you've go the hard part of finding the problem pretty well wrapped if you can just reach it!

Tags
black tank, leak, tank