Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Biodiesel

I stopped to fuel up at a station that only offered Bio Diesel. I have a journey 39 2005 with a Cat350.

I had never used BioDiesel before but my MPG went up about 1.5 miles per gallon.

Does anyone know enough about BioDiesel to know if it’s worth continuing to run it or stay away from it in an 05 Cat.

Also the generator is a concern, can it handle BioDiesel?

Thanks for any thoughts
kevinvanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I noticed the opposite results on a 3500 mile trip recently...lost about 2 MPG on biodiesel as opposed to number 2 diesel...Have a 2007 Journey with 300 Cummins. Some places had both kinds available and others on the west coast only had biodiesel...by the way, the roads in California are really rough while the roads in Oregon are much better...just my observation. I don't think biodiesel will hurt any older diesel engines but I don't think it will give more power or MPG...Buford.
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I noticed a slight drop in mpg when I had to use some 10% to 15% last year. My L/100KM usage display showed a slight increase while running the higher bio content.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. It may have been a full 20% because the Truck Stop was loaded with BigRigs. Im going to run another tank and see how it goes.

As far as the roads in California, the roads in every state are better than they are here!
kevinvanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvanpatt View Post
Thanks for the info. It may have been a full 20% because the Truck Stop was loaded with BigRigs. Im going to run another tank and see how it goes.

As far as the roads in California, the roads in every state are better than they are here!
I guess you've never been to Michigan?
Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

As long as you are running anything up to B20 (20% biodiesel/80% petroleum), you should be OK. I've been running B100 (pure biodiesel) in my John Deere 670 for over 20 years (since before it was cool). After maybe 10 years, it turned the natural rubber hoses to goo. I switched to urethane hoses, which lasted a few years and then crumbled. Now I'm onto Viton hoses, I think.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I read somewhere yesterday that early days bio-diesel also ate internal parts, like fuel pump guts and other parts, or at least caused them to fail prematurely. They say the current stuff "cleans" up fuel systems, but I have no substantive references of that suggestion. A lot of the internet based bio-diesel info seems to be hearsay mixed with some anecdotal experiences. I still try to avoid it when possible.

Tags
diesel