Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

As new RV owners, this forum has been so incredibly helpful, I thought it would be smart to seek input from the forum before purchasing a new bike rack for the back of our Voyage 32H.

I'm looking at a Thule Parkway that fits the 2" receiver on the MH and retails for about $150. The downside of a receiver rack is that you can't tow and use the rack at the same time. But when we tow our Wrangler (sometime in the future) the bikes can go on the rack that's already on the back of the Jeep.

What experiences have others had with bike racks? Your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!

Boris
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As new RV owners, this forum has been so incredibly helpful, I thought it would be smart to seek input from the forum before purchasing a new bike rack for the back of our Voyage 32H.

I'm looking at a Thule Parkway that fits the 2" receiver on the MH and retails for about $150. The downside of a receiver rack is that you can't tow and use the rack at the same time. But when we tow our Wrangler (sometime in the future) the bikes can go on the rack that's already on the back of the Jeep.

What experiences have others had with bike racks? Your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!

Boris
Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've had a number of bicycle racks that went into my 2" receiver over the years. I don't have any now as my bicycle rides inside the toad. There are some rack models that slip over a 2" drawbar so that you can use the rack while towing if you are interested in that option. Whatever you get, it would be good if you could try you bicycle on it before buying just to be sure you like the way your particular bike works with the rack.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boris and Natasha:

Boris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the SwagMan with the towing option.

Check them out at:

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shop...me.php?cat=274
Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We use a two bike carry made by Coleman that fits the tow receiver. It is completely adjustable. We've never had any problems with it. We did invest in a pretty good lock and chain for the bikes. (not that we think campers would take them but we wouldn't want to temp anyone when we're stopped along the way.)
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't know if your hitch is similar but here is a picture of what we did. I didn't want an extension with a bike adapter on it because most extensions reduce the weight than can be towed and or tongue weight. We had a qualified welder fabricate and install this for us. We were at the 1000 trails in Las Vegas when it was installed. If you want more pictures let me know.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

How about some thoughts on the ladder type bike carriers?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

Look at the SwagMan with the towing option.

Check them out at:

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shop...me.php?cat=274 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Swagman 64600 is the exact model we use as we have a toad. We use it when we DONT tow also.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
How about some thoughts on the ladder type bike carriers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't have one of those at ALL! There are too many people that have had trouble with the ladders coming off or bikes bouncing off. No thanks!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've used a Masterbuilt HBCDL ladder mounted bike carrier for two bikes on both my class C and A since 2001, as needed.

No problems with either rig.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I solved my problem by buying a 4 bike carrier from Coleman and then making an adapter to fit on the left side of my hitch. A simple piece of square tubing welded and drilled a hole for the pin. I can carry my bikes and tow my car at the same time.

Worked great for four years. Very inexpensive to do too.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:

I had a picture of a MH that had a bicycle rack mounted to the rear ladder, with a bicycle or two mounted to it. I can't find it right now, but let's just say that some pretty good damage was done to the MH because the bicycles hung out too far to the side and the bicycles caught something. The picture showed what happens to fiberglas on the rear cap; it wasn't very pretty!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:

I had a picture of a MH that had a bicycle rack mounted to the rear ladder, with a bicycle or two mounted to it. I can't find it right now, but let's just say that some pretty good damage was done to the MH because the bicycles hung out too far to the side and the bicycles caught something. The picture showed what happens to fiberglas on the rear cap; it wasn't very pretty! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would stay away from the ladder mount too. Even if you don't see any damage to your ladder I would hate to find out that it was damaged when transitioning the top rung. I had a ladder fail on me once and lived to talk about it. That was after 10 hours in the operating room with two surgeons and two life threatening mishaps caused by the hospitals staff (highly chilled IV with a wide open flow almost caused a stroke durring prep for surgery and they tried to use an incorrect airway which got jammed and almost asphixiated me).

I would consider a towing rack such as the Swagman or a dual receiver for the hitch such as the following instead of a ladder mount rack:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/492929.htm

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...eceiver/skunum=34685

http://www.hitchsource.com/dual-hitc...0-p-28867.html

http://www.hitchsource.com/dual-hitc...0-p-28868.html
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have tried the ladder mount and sent them back. There is too much spring with 2 bikes causing stress on the ladder and rear cap, also tried the swagman mounted to the tow bar on the coach it was a hassle to disconnect the tow bar with the bikes mounted, I wound up with the bike rack mounted on the hitch on the back of the toad which is the best solution for me.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much to everyone for your great input and advice. I purchased and installed a Yakima Double Down 4-bike carrier. It looks great but we haven't had the chance to use it yet. We'll update when we take it out for its shakedown.

Boris
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
The ladder mounted bike racks put the bikes so close together, you have to put padding between them to prevent scratching/damage. You should check them every time you stop because the straps do come loose. I bungy corded my bikes on to the rack and bungy corded the rack to the ladder and still didn't feel 100% safe. My bikes were beaten to a pulp. Now that I'm flying solo, my one bike will ride in the toad from now on.