Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Beginning to wonder

Beginning to wonder if I made the right decision! Two weeks ago tomorrow I brought home a new Journey and put it in the storage garage. 160 miles!
On Sunday I brought it home so we could get it ready for our winter trip. My daughter wanted to take a look so I put it on fast idle and put down the jacks and started opening slides. The check engine warning came on. I made an appointment at Freightliner and they said they could get it in the next day (Tue) I have yet to get a call from them with results. I haven't even made the thing mine yet and it's hung up in the shop!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Likely just a new coach bug,disappointing, with a new coach you can expect to run across a few bugs in the first few thousand miles, hopefully nothing serious and your dealer looks after you
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Our 5vr has been in twice since May, that's what warranties are for. Let them fix problems on their dime. Our dealer is 150 miles away round trip. Just gives us practice hooking up and driving.
weedpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Keep us posted. My 2012 Journey 36m is 3 weeks old. I have a strange thing after I start the motor, there is a load that pulses on for about 3-5 seconds, pulling down coach battery and low bat alarm goes off in the Freightliner display. this happens about every 30 seconds for a few cycles then goes away. If I'm on shore power or generator, it cycles 8010 times. No AC power, it cycles once or twice.
It is now part of my warranty punch list.
erstanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
Keep us posted. My 2012 Journey 36m is 3 weeks old. I have a strange thing after I start the motor, there is a load that pulses on for about 3-5 seconds, pulling down coach battery and low bat alarm goes off in the Freightliner display. this happens about every 30 seconds for a few cycles then goes away.
If this is happening on a cold start, it sounds like the engine's intake grid heaters (Cummins) cycling.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It was a bad senser! So I took it home and tried to sign up for the 6 Mo trial for Sirus Radio. I was able to get signed up for that but there is something wrong with the radio. It shows the chanel as being tuned in but when on a Sirius chanel I get no sound. The radio works fine when recieving signals from the ant, but not on satelite!. After being told that it was not a Sirus problem but a radio one I decided to take it back to its storage building before dark. Every other stop light the Jacks down light and buzzer would sound off! Of course the jacks are up!
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this coach!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Better now than on the road???
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My 2011 Suncruiser Sirius radio would not link up with the satellite. I found an extra antenna in the installation package. Plugged that antenna in & put it in the cabinet above the drivers seat and problem was resolved. Winny must be doing something wrong on their antenna installation.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
It was a bad senser! So I took it home and tried to sign up for the 6 Mo trial for Sirus Radio. I was able to get signed up for that but there is something wrong with the radio. It shows the chanel as being tuned in but when on a Sirius chanel I get no sound. The radio works fine when recieving signals from the ant, but not on satelite!. After being told that it was not a Sirus problem but a radio one I decided to take it back to its storage building before dark. Every other stop light the Jacks down light and buzzer would sound off! Of course the jacks are up!
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this coach!
Regarding the 'jacks down' alarm: if this is your first coach with the HWH jacks/slides you must store the jacks properly or you may get the jacks-down alarm. Turn the HWH system 'ON', push the 'STORE' button, and let all the jack lights go out (red lights) when the jacks retract....then wait for the system to shut down on its own. It make take 2 - 3 minutes after the jack lights go out. If you don't do this and start up and move before the system shuts off, you can get alarms while moving.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

With my 2010 Journey, on our third trip, the Jacks down buzzer and light started intermittantly. After checking that Jacks were indeed up, we continued.

Dealer said it was the sensor located on the hydralic reseviour tank located under the front entry steps. Just pulled the wire off, till the replacement sensor was obtained. A 5 minute fix with the new part.

The sensor just reads the level of the fluid in the reseviour. Of course your problem could be different.

Keep in mind, you have a big box full of electrical and plumbing connections that goes through a severe earthquake every time you drive it. So for the first several trips, loose connections and such will make themselves apparent. But all the fittings and connections have been designed to minimize problems, once you get the few bugs worked out, it will get much better.

We live in this rig full time. Only have had it on the road about 10 different trips, other than that, living in the home park for the most part. 5 of these trips were to the dealer for warranty repairs. A few electrical connections, a minor plumbing leak, a minor slide roof leak, a few appliance problems. None of these were anything more than minor annoyances. Since then, all is good, just normal maintenance you would expect on this big box.

Except for one thing, a real sore point with me. Norcold's 12 month warranty on a $3500 refrigerator. At the 14 month point the cooling unit started working erratically. Luckily we did have an extended service contract to replace it. But this is an expensive item, millions out on the road, should be backed up by the factory better that this!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

Don't take this as a prediction but I've had my coach for over two years now and I'm STILL wondering.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote