Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom slide out leak

I have a leak in the bedroom slide out that leaks into the "safe box" and into the bottom of the wardrobe closet. I think this leak has been there since the coach was manufactured! My local Winnebago dealer just informed me that the entire slide out seal needs to be replaced to fix this leak and that requires removing the slide out!! He also told me he doesn't have the equipment to remove the slide and advises me to check larger Winnebago dealers to see if they can do the work.
As I discuss this on this forum and with other owners, I find a trend for this leak to include Winnebago Products from 2005 to 2007. It seems there are quite a few owners who are having this problem. If you are one of these owners, please respond to this message and let's see if we have enough folks to request a recall from Winnebago. Any ideas or suggestions from anyone will be appreciated.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your dearer is way off!! I have replaced the seals on my bedroom slide with the newer double wipe seals. It is not difficult and does not require taking the slide out. My coach is a 2005.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That's good to hear; I don't have much faith in this dealer anyway. I'll look into the new seal. If you have any details, part number, etc. please pass them on so I can get one ordered. Thanks for your reply; it makes me feel like there is still hope. Did you have the same leak?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a leak in the bedroom slide out that leaks into the "safe box" and into the bottom of the wardrobe closet
Is the safe box and wardrobe part of the slide or next to the slide?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

they are not part of the slide; both are below and next to the slide.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

There are numerous posts on this problem going back to 2002 in 05 or 06 Winne redesigned the seals. The posts also have photos attached for comparison. I am not sure if the redesign completely solved the problem. I found that in heavy rain I put the coach on a very slight tilt not visible when looking at the coach and you could not feel it when inside this caused the rain to run away from the seals. This was on an 02 Journey 39QD I had.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a couple of files that give instructions on how to replace the seals. I big tip is to extend the slide out all the way and then retract the slide about 5 or 6 inches to take the pressure off the seal. The sides are easy. The top seal requires you to remove the slide topper first.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

The wiper on the out side of the slide are differant from the weather seal. Is it leaking when open or closed? again, the are differant weather seals for open and closed posisitons
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It only leaks when it is open.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a couple of files that give instructions on how to replace the seals. I big tip is to extend the slide out all the way and then retract the slide about 5 or 6 inches to take the pressure off the seal. The sides are easy. The top seal requires you to remove the slide topper first.
I have an 03 and my slide occasionally leaks near where the floor safe is. I believe the bedroom slide is identical to the Meridians and other comparable Bago products. We are talking about the slide "wipes" that seal when the slide is extended. I smeared silicon caulk in the corner and the bedroom slide has not leaked in a while. My kitchen slide also has a similar leak in the rear corner and it continues to leak under heavy driving rain.

LK23, Would it be possible to post the instructions?? Thanks
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Roadking,

I would gladly post the instructions. How?? It is a PDF file.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

instructions

LK23. Took the instructions to the dealer yesterday and they were surprised which makes me uncomfortable with them doing the work. Talked directly to the mechanic and he informed me that he has never worked on slides before. I asked them to check with the factory to see if there are more current service bulletins and they will do that. I also asked them to check the availability of the seal at the factory and they will also to that. Once that is done, I think I will take the coach to a more experienced dealer and have the work done. The local dealer I use is okay for a small town (and they are honest) so I don't feel they are trying to take advantage of me.
One question for you; the paragraphs that are "lined out" confuse me; are they lined out because you completed them and you progressed with changing the seal or are they lined out because they are not applicable?
I wish I knew how to post a pdf file so I could help you but I don't.
Thanks again for all of your help. I think you have actually helped a lot of other forum users as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

JBroadway,

I modified the instructions to include only what I needed to replace the slide seals. I Xed out the sections that did not apply and I added notes in the side margins to clarify what was needed.

Most likely, your leak is caused by the fit of the vertical side seals. You can easily replace the two side seals yourself.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Is there anywhere on line where I can find these instructions?
RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote