Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom Ceiling Fan - Need Advice/Direction.....

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V.

I'm sure this has been addressed before so I am requesting your Advice / Assistance.

To make sleeping a lot more comfortable during those hot Florida nights, we would like to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Probably keep on the low speed just to move air, like we do at home.

So, I want to install a Low Profile (of course) ceiling fan in my bedroom.....where the stock double bulb ceiling light is.
Keep modifications to a very minimum.

I has to be a 12v fan....just use existing wiring and wall switch.

1. Can someone recommend a SPECIFIC fan that I can purchase?
2. The fan HAS to be very, very, quite (as my wire reminds me).

Also, the ceiling seems to be a thin wood...can I just screw into this and it will stay up as I hit the many bumps / holes in the road?

So, if someone had already done this and can make a recommendation, PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks for your advice and time to reply.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V.

I'm sure this has been addressed before so I am requesting your Advice / Assistance.

To make sleeping a lot more comfortable during those hot Florida nights, we would like to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Probably keep on the low speed just to move air, like we do at home.

So, I want to install a Low Profile (of course) ceiling fan in my bedroom.....where the stock double bulb ceiling light is.
Keep modifications to a very minimum.

I has to be a 12v fan....just use existing wiring and wall switch.

1. Can someone recommend a SPECIFIC fan that I can purchase?
2. The fan HAS to be very, very, quite (as my wire reminds me).

Also, the ceiling seems to be a thin wood...can I just screw into this and it will stay up as I hit the many bumps / holes in the road?

So, if someone had already done this and can make a recommendation, PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks for your advice and time to reply.
We installed a ceiling fan in our 2001 Adventurer 32V. We ordered it online from PPL Motorhomes. If I recall correctly it was a 3 speed reversible fan with a remote control. The remote made it handy to change speeds, reverse it, or shut it off without having to get out of bed.

Sorry I can't tell you the exact brand and model. The fan and all the literature stayed with the old motorhome.

To install it I moved the existing ceiling light and put the fan in it's place using a couple thin wall anchors like these in the ceiling to hold it in place.

Robot Check

I used the existing wires from the light to power the fan. I also tapped into the existing wires and added a couple feet to install a replacement ceiling light. I carefully drilled about a 1/2" hole through the ceiling plywood and put a new light inline and forward of the previous location. I used the same style anchors to hold the light in place. The new light had a built in switch so it could be turned off while the fan remained on.

To get the wires to the new light location I used a stiff wire to pull the electrical wires between the insulation and the plywood ceiling.

Be sure you get a fan with short enough blades so the cabinet doors over the head of the bed can open with out interference.

I installed the fan in 2006. It was working perfectly when we traded in the motorhome in 2013. We liked it so much we ordered a ceiling fan in our 2013 Adventurer. Unfortunately the fan in the new motorhome isn't quite as quiet as the one we bought from PPL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4573.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	122506  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

winnie32v, this is whats in ours with Lichtsinn's price.
Part Number: 1391340103A
Part Description: "EAFAN-CEILING,35"" SATIN NICKE"
Retail Price: $181.65
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used a standard 120 volt 30" hallway low clearance 6 blade fan in our '02 DSDP. Took out one of the fluorescent lights to gain access. Put in a stringer to mount the fan and run a wire over to the cabinets and to a plug in. Had to be careful of clearances as the rig had two opposing slides and 30" just barely cleared both sides, but not my head if I wasn't careful!
The only problem (besides the knot on my head) was the controller on the fan didn't like MSW inverter power. It would hum a little and after a few years burned out. Put a new one in and it was still doing fine when we traded the rig off.
Well, I guess the pictures are on my home PC and not the laptop.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs,
Does this look like the one you originally installed?

TRUSTY PRODUCTS, INC.
They make a variety of color combinations and in 36" and 42".

I have found a dealer for around $150.00.............
Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I believe it was a Trusty Products fan. The one we had looks like this:

36" 12V Ceiling Fan - Satin Nickel/White - Trusty 70058NW - Fans - Camping World

I can't say for sure it's the same model. We put ours in the coach in 2007. Ours had a little eye ball infrared sensor about the size of a quarter that the customer attached to the motor with 2 sided tape. It wasn't attached until after the installation so you could put it in a place where the remote could easily communicate with it.

Make sure you get the shorter 36" blades. I think the larger ones would have run into the cabinets if they were open.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I put a 5 speed 12 volt fan in our bedroom. Took the overhead light down and used that wire. Only problem---Damn remote turns on the radio!!!!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I believe it was a Trusty Products fan. The one we had looks like this:

36" 12V Ceiling Fan - Satin Nickel/White - Trusty 70058NW - Fans - Camping World

I can't say for sure it's the same model. We put ours in the coach in 2007. Ours had a little eye ball infrared sensor about the size of a quarter that the customer attached to the motor with 2 sided tape. It wasn't attached until after the installation so you could put it in a place where the remote could easily communicate with it.

Make sure you get the shorter 36" blades. I think the larger ones would have run into the cabinets if they were open.
Yep, That's the one I am looking at.
I'm going to order it and install it like you recommended.

How did you wire the ceiling light so that it works????? AND keep the fan live?????

Thanks......................
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Yep, That's the one I am looking at.
I'm going to order it and install it like you recommended.

How did you wire the ceiling light so that it works????? AND keep the fan live?????

Thanks......................
We replaced the original ceiling light with one that had a switch right on the fixture. Something like this:

Double 12-volt Dome Light, White - Husky 51234 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

We could then turn the light off at the fixture in the evening if we wanted use the fan.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
look at this too
12 Volt Ceiling Fans for RV and Replacement Parts
or this

Robot Check

or
RV Ceiling Fan 12V 4 speeds 42 12 Volt Camper - $119.99
Old 03-31-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

winnie32v
I got my 12v fan from backwoods solar. about $100.
I mounted a circular piece of sheet metal to the ceiling with several wood screws where the light was. I mounted the fan to the sheet metal. the fan uses the existing wiring and is controlled by a wireless remote.
the fan clears the cabinet doors when the slide is in or out. very important. it has been working well for about 8 years.
I made a post with pics which should be in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I installed a trusty ceiling fan last year in my 2001 Horizon. I called the service center and got the ceiling installation drawings. From those I found a steel support that I could attach a mounting plate to. I used the wireless version which required me to install a sensor in the ceiling (not on the fan).
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom Ceiling Fan - Need Advice/Direction.....

Subscribed
jt

2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ceiling, fan