Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Which is a better unit to keep my chassis batteries charged? During winter storage I disconnect the battery cables (house and chassis) since the storage lot doesn't have hookups.

I purchased the BatteryMinder from CW but it looks more like it has to be unplugged when traveling, etc.

Since I'm electronically challenged I need some advice from those who know.

Thanks,

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Which is a better unit to keep my chassis batteries charged? During winter storage I disconnect the battery cables (house and chassis) since the storage lot doesn't have hookups.

I purchased the BatteryMinder from CW but it looks more like it has to be unplugged when traveling, etc.

Since I'm electronically challenged I need some advice from those who know.

Thanks,

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the Battery minder is a portable charger that you have to hook up and disconnect when the coach is stored/moved, I would go for a permanently wired solution like Trik-L-Charge or the Xantrex Echo~Charge. With the permanently wired solution, you will be charging your chassis batteries everytime you are on shore power or generator.

Disconnecting the batteries before storage is a good idea - be sure they are fully charged and top off the water. A discharged battery will freeze quicker than a charged one.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

John,

I was going to send you a PM but figured you were busy building/organizing/etc on the new ranch.

I was thinking the exact same thing but wasn't sure. Really glad you jumped in and gave me a quick answer.

I do make sure the batteries are watered and charged before disconnecting and storing.

Trik-L-Start it is.

Thanks,

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 03-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Both the BatteryMinder and Trik-L-Charge are both good units that accomplish the same thing but go about it in different ways.

The BatteryMinder has an advantage in that it uses pulse charge technology. This keeps your battery plates from sulfating and will even clean up a slighty sulfated battery. It requires an AC outlet to plug into.

The Trik-L-Start doesn't give you the pulse charge technology but it will keep your battery charged. It's biggest benefit is it's very simple to install. You simply connect to both battery banks and it's smart enough to know when your shore power is charging the house batteries and it steals some of that power and sends it to the chassis batteries. When the shore power goes away it breaks the connection between the two to prevent the chassis batteries from discharging into the house system.

One thing to consider with the BatteryMinder is that if you store the unit without power, the BatteryMinder will still be hooked up to your batteries It will gradually draw them down over time so you need to disconnect these leads. I installed a relay on mine that was powered by the AC shore power outlet. The relay's contacts disconnected the BatteryMinder's 12 volt leads from the batteries whenever the shore power was not present so now it's all automatic for me.

They both only work when AC power is present and technically the BatteryMinder has an advantage in that the pulse technology helps "clean" the plates as well as keep your battery charged. If you don't mind the extra installation work the BatteryMinder is best, otherwise the Trik-L-Start will do the job with a quick and easy install.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:

The BatteryMinder has an advantage in that it uses pulse charge technology. This keeps your battery plates from sulfating and will even clean up a slighty sulfated battery. It requires an AC outlet to plug into.

They both only work when AC power is present and technically the BatteryMinder has an advantage in that the pulse technology helps "clean" the plates as well as keep your battery charged. If you don't mind the extra installation work the BatteryMinder is best, otherwise the Trik-L-Start will do the job with a quick and easy install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! The Battery minder actually burns off the sulphate from the plates....Thats one of the many reasons we use the Battery Minder!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have had a Trick-L-Start installed for a year now. A benefit I find is that I have hardly had to add any water to the cells. Charge rate is so low, the water doesn't boil off.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I considered both myself and decided to go with the battery minder also for the pulse charge technology since it conditions the battery by keeping the sulphate from building. I decided to go with a solar panel to power my battery minder and purchased the entire kit from rvupgrades.com for about $100. I also have a factory installed solar panel that keeps my house batteries charged so I figured if I would have chose the trik-l-start, I would have been able to use it without the worry of it drawing down my house batteries. I also switched over to AGM batteries to get away from the whole low water issue. For my chassis batteries, I went with the new Optima Yellow Top dual purpose battery wich is both a starting batter and deep cycle. Here's more info. on those for anyone interested: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0...tive/deep_cycle.html
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone have any experience with the Intelli-Power Converters/Chargers with a Charge Wizard? The Charge wizard states it will, after so many hours of no battery use, go into DESULFATION MODE which the charger goes to 14.4v for 15 minutes.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have the PD9160 with Charge Wizard and it works perfectly. I check the water once a month and add if necessary (rarely). We keep the rig at our house and have it plugged into a 20A circuit 24/7.

Oh, I also have a Battery Minder connected for the engine battery.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote