Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery boiling 2001 adventurer 35U

One of my house batteries is boiling over when MH is on shore power, the aux button has been in the off position. Batteries are sealed type
Thoughts?
Phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
on our 2000 itasca suncruiser 35U the "salesman switch" merely cut power to the motorhonme lights, appliances, etc. it did not keep the batteries from being charged. the converter/charger in that MH was just a 2-stage model. essentially, that charger just kept pumping voltage into the batteries. the result was premature battery failure. i replaced thst converter/charger with a 3-stage "smart" charger resulting in longer battery life. if i were you i'd look to see if the charger is your problem. until you have it checked or replaced i'd either disconnect from shore power or trip the breakers on the converter/charger. i'd also replace the battery you have referenced.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Boiling can be a sign of overcharging or a bad battery. If it is a sealed lead acid battery the electrolyte could be low as they still have vents for it to escape. This would mean time for a new battery. Overcharging could be the battery or charger. I would lean to the battery since you say it is only only one that is boiling. Keep in mind you should replace all batteries on the same circuit even if one has gone bad.

In either event a boiling battery means there is a risk of it exploding so it should be disconnected until the problem is resolved.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, battery, vent