Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bathroom Plastic Roof Cover Replacement

I have a 2018 Sunstar 29 ft. I recently was on the roof and stepped and broke the bathroom roof plastic cover. Is it easy to replace? Anyone know what the manufacture of the replacement cover to order on Amazon? No markings can be found.

Thanks for you help up front.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkishgolf12 View Post
I have a 2018 Sunstar 29 ft. I recently was on the roof and stepped and broke the bathroom roof plastic cover. Is it easy to replace? Anyone know what the manufacture of the replacement cover to order on Amazon? No markings can be found.

Thanks for you help up front.
I assume you mean the skylight. You should be able to get the part # and price by calling Winnebago. Once you have that you can shop around. You could also try this but a phone call would be quicker: https://www.winnebagoparts.com/

On the other hand, there's no reason that a generic RV skylight of similar proportions won't work as long as it covers the hole with room to attach the mounting flange to the roof. You'll probably save $$ with the generic version.

I assume your skylight is like mine with an outer dome on the roof and an inner, translucent cover inside. If so, once the inner skylight is in place, you'll never know the difference. Also, assuming your's is similar to mine, the outer skylight is simply screwed to the roof. If the existing screws aren't stainless I'd replace them with stainless screws (the same goes for the inner skylight).

You'll need to use a suitable sealant between the flange and roof. I recommend using Eternabond tape to seal the edges and cover the screws after mounting the skylight. Make sure you scrape and clean all the old sealant and residue, finishing with acetone or mineral spirits.

Depending on the extent of the damage, you can temporarily repair it with Eternabond tape but don't wait too long before replacing it. Although I didn't realize it at the time, mine was leaking when I bought my MH in 2017 and I had to do some extensive repairs to the roof and bathroom ceiling.

Winnebago's sealant call-out sheet for your rig can be found here: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram.../000181968.pdf

And some more sealant info here: https://www.winnebagoind.com/resourc...t%20Sheets.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great information. Thanks so much. Just need to replace the sunlight cover only.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

you can find video's on line and watch someone do it. If you call Winnebago be sure to know what type of sealant was used and what they are recommending. I replaced mine a few years ago it was not that difficult in terms of skill but was some work prepping the area for install.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkishgolf12 View Post
Great information. Thanks so much. Just need to replace the sunlight cover only.
Depending on your height and the height of the unit, you might want to consider replacing it with another vent. I think my skylight is the same size as a vent.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof