Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Heatpump / AC

Am I the only one with this problem?
My thermostat was changed by Winnebago Factory Service in June 2011. Since then, when you set the thermostat to Electric Heat whenever the heat pump comes on the gas furnace comes on at the end of every heating cycle. Also, if you ask for heat greater than one degree (was three degrees on the original thermostat) the gas furnace will come on instead of the heat pump. If you just set the temp and leave it it's about 50/50 chance the heat pump or gas furnace.

RVP (Coleman/Mach) sent me a replacement thermostat and it works the same way. I searched to find and old model thermostat with no luck. Everyone tells me the model I have replaces the original thermostat.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Don't know if I can help much with the thermostat, but on mine, the furnace will always come on when the temp is below about 40 degrees. No matter whether the t'stat is set for electric or gas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Typically heatpumps function better and maintain the indoor temp if the exterior air is between 40 and 65.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ralph A,
Mine must be different from yours. I only get gas heat when the thermostat is set for gas heat. And I only get the heat pump when set to electric heat. Unlike Wizard's rig, neither my heat pump nor my gas heat ever comes on automatically when I have the switch set to the "off" position.
I have noticed that when the heat pump turns off that the fan continues to stay on for about 2 minutes or so. I presume that this is to cool the heat pump after an electric heating cycle.
How can you be sure that you are getting gas heat after an electric cycle?

hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ralph,
We had our thermostat replaced at Forest City November 2010. Ours does just as yours does. We never know if the heat pump is going to run with or without the furnace. The AC works fine though. We will have another tech check it out this spring. The old thermostat had been burned up by AC ripple coming through the converter. Took them 5 years to figure that out.
GrandpaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Ralph A,
Mine must be different from yours. I only get gas heat when the thermostat is set for gas heat. And I only get the heat pump when set to electric heat. Unlike Wizard's rig, neither my heat pump nor my gas heat ever comes on automatically when I have the switch set to the "off" position.
I have noticed that when the heat pump turns off that the fan continues to stay on for about 2 minutes or so. I presume that this is to cool the heat pump after an electric heating cycle.
How can you be sure that you are getting gas heat after an electric cycle?

hope this helps,
On my coach, the heatpump blows out of the vents in the ceiling and the furnace comes out of the vents in the floor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ralph, my guess is that the wiring is messed up going to the thermostat. When they changed it out last June, they must have cross-connected a wire or a wire is open.

I would double check the wiring behind the t-stat. I replaced my Coleman Mach with digital set-back from Home Depot. In the process, I had to figure out the function of each wire to/from the t-stat. I made up a chart of the wire conversion. Since you're not changing it out, you only need the to use the first two columns for the wire color and the labeling on the two connectors.

Good luck,
Bill

This is what my RiteTemp thermostat looks like. It's been working great for me for 7 yrs now.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

RalphA,

Does your unit have the fluorescent ceiling lights? If so, does your system act the same with the lights off?

I had a RF filter (capacitor) go bad in one of my ceiling lights. It caused the AC/Heat pump to do some really strange things when the light was on. It took me about two weeks to figure out the connection between the two.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
On my coach, the heatpump blows out of the vents in the ceiling and the furnace comes out of the vents in the floor
Wizard, thanks for the clarification. Maybe mine is doing the same thing. Will have to check and see what it's really doing.

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

my front heatpump has a 4 degree drop before the furnace kicks on. I installed a $3.00 on off swith on the wire going to the furnace and now the heat pump runs down till its not effective somewhere in the high 30 without the furnace kickin on
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ralph,
I would think the factory guys would not miss something like this, but new Coleman thermostats for our 04-05 coaches require a pigtail adapter OR combining two of the original wires.

I went with the pigtail rather than risk messing up the wiring since I was doing the work myself. Might the factory guys have gone the wiring change route rather than using the adapter? You might want to confirm that the wiring is correct. Just replacing that new thermostat with a another would not correct the wiring error and you would not see a change in operation.

The adapter is easy to identify if you pull the thermostat. It is about six inches long and has one less connector pin on one end. If you see the adapter the wiring should be correct.

Just a thought.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Ralph,

Our original thermostat crapped out a couple years ago and I replaced it with the current type used. Yeah, mine works the same as yours - I have no idea why, just a fact of the matter. There was no way to get the wiring wrong - it's a connector that is keyed and only fits one way.

I don't think the gas burner runs at the end of the heat pump cycle, just the blower.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
In case you didn't know it when you set electric heat you can't set it higher than 2 degrees at a time. so say room temp is 60 then you must set temp to 62 and if you set it to 64 let's say then along with the heat pump you will get the propane heater.

Also check under the bed and make sure the filters for the heat pump are clean as that will affect blower output.

Good luck and remember heat pump will not work below 32 degrees.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
In order to save propane I have two small electric strip heaters with fans which I plug in and set when the outside temperature goes below 30 degrees. Otherwise my stock thermostat will automatically select the furnace when the outside temperature reaches 28-30 degrees. At about 30 degrees I have noticed that both the basement heat pump and the furnace may be running at the same time.

Suncircles
2005 Journey with 2006 CRV toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

My thought on why the blower acts this way with the new t-stat:

T-stat is programmed for 2 stage gas heat, Lo and Hi. Book says hi is 2 deg down from Lo. I think somehow this 2 stage gas is activating the blower motor.

The pigtail, 4 to 3 I believe, indicates a lifeline from the furnace. I think the blower is getting voltage, but the gas circuit isn't.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
RalphA,

Does your unit have the fluorescent ceiling lights? If so, does your system act the same with the lights off?

I had a RF filter (capacitor) go bad in one of my ceiling lights. It caused the AC/Heat pump to do some really strange things when the light was on. It took me about two weeks to figure out the connection between the two.
We have plenty of fluorescent lights but my problem is consistent with or without the fluorescent on.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Bill,
I also have the Rite Temp 8085C thermostat but there is no W2 terminal. I'm not sure where to connect the white Gas Heat wire. Everything else is the same except there is an O terminal and a B terminal labeled changeover valves. Any suggestions?
kcplatzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcplatzer View Post
Bill,
I also have the Rite Temp 8085C thermostat but there is no W2 terminal. I'm not sure where to connect the white Gas Heat wire. Everything else is the same except there is an O terminal and a B terminal labeled changeover valves. Any suggestions?
Hi Kcplatzer,
Opps, it looks like you may the 8085 model and not the 8085C. The "C" version has W2 for aux heating. Here's the link for the 8085C installation and you'll see the W2 connection. On the left of the webpage is link to the 8085 and installation doesn't show a W2.

Well, this may not be a problem if you consider some additional mods that I did. When I am plugged in at a rv park where I have paid for electricity, I don't want to use my propane if the heat pump can't up or the temp differential is more that 3-4 degrees. After a yr or two, I got tired of setting the heat pump to just a couple degrees higher temp just so the gas furnace won't kick in and then as it warmed up set temp a little higher. And repeat again and again. So I bought a 2nd bottom of the line (as in inexpensive, approx $20) digital setback stat, and mounted it just around the corner. It controls only the gas furnace. When I'm dry camping I don't want to run down the batteries with the gas heat cycling all night, so I use the setback, to have it come on 15 min before we plan to get up. So I don't use the W2 connection any more.

Happy trails,
Bill
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Bill,

What you described is exactly the problem I'm trying to solve. I have the Rite temp running the Heat Pump with an inexpensive two wire Honeywell to run the gas furnace. What I'm not sure of is what two wires to run to the Honeywell to control the gas furnace.
Thanks
KC
kcplatzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcplatzer View Post
Thanks Bill,

What you described is exactly the problem I'm trying to solve. I have the Rite temp running the Heat Pump with an inexpensive two wire Honeywell to run the gas furnace. What I'm not sure of is what two wires to run to the Honeywell to control the gas furnace.
Thanks
KC
That would be the
White wire (Gas Furnace Control)
and
Red/White wire (+12 V Power)

When the contacts in the thermostat connect these two together, the furnace will run.

Happy Trails,
Bill