Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Heat Ducts

I am getting ready to leave my 2012 Journey 40U for a short time during the holidays. It rarely gets below freezing here but this is the time of year when It can happen. I decided to leave only the front furnace on it's lowest setting expecting that it is the one that provides heat for the basement. Wanting to confirm that, I went to the manual and was unable to find any referance about the LP furnaces beyond how to set the thermostat. There were no diagrams about the heat duct routing or for that fact no reference it even has ductwork. I went online to the parts manual and found the same (nothing)I doubt the temp will get below freezing long enough to do damage but do not want to leave it to chance. Anybody know if both furnaces need to be on to provide heat for the basements?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

on my 2012 journey 36m, the front furnace controls the gas furnace. I keep mine switched to Gas heat at 45 during the winter when I'm not using it. If you turn on the gas furnace, you can confirm that there is warm air in the sewer bay, pump bay and near the freshwater tank.
My previous class C had a manual thermostat that allowed me to keep the coach at 36F. I wish I could modify the digital thermostat to be set below 45, or I may install a 2nd manual thermostat for winter storage just to conserve some propane.
Good luck.
Ed
Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ed, your 36 may have only one LP furnace ...sounds like Larry has two. I think on my '03 Ultimate the basement gets heat from the rear LP furnace. If that was all I was relying on to prevent freezing, I would want to test that to be sure. I found a heat hose behind the metal plate in my water service bay so that's where I would check on mine ...turn the furnace on, then check the compartments to see if you feel heat there.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My storm uses the rear furnace for the basement. As the afchap said, turn one on and check.
jeremyee49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My best advice:
Call winnebago tech. They will answer all of you questions. They are the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!
800-537-1885
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Chuck 1935
You have had better results with Winnebago Tech than we just had in traceing wiring for a furnace problem. The wiring diagrams showed two connectors between the thermostat and the furnace - and we checked both and they were OK. The Winnebago Tech said there "could possibly be more - and we would just have to run them down". As it turns out there were four connectors. They were definitely not only not much help, but rude as well.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Note the 2012 36M does have two furnaces
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

i installed wired inside-outside temp indicators in my water compartments. if i had to do it over, i would use a wireless indicator system.
i found that i need to use a trouble light for heat in my aft water service compartment when the outside temp is below freezing, and i am using electric heaters inside my moho. the fwd and middle compartments are ok as long as i leave the water heater on electric or propane.
i don't know if my propane furnace would supply heat to the aft water service compartment.
i found that i was getting genny exhaust fumes in the bedroom from the electric compartment. it was leaking cold are into the bedroom too. i used spray foaming sealant to seal the sides and rear of this compartment.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote